Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: hid lights on cd spec  (Read 4072 times)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: hid lights on cd spec
« Reply #15 on: 11 January 2012, 18:15:46 »

Seems more trouble than its worth to me ???
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 January 2012, 18:24:30 »

yes begining to think so thanks Rob Tunnie and Albs for the help i will get some oram nightbreakers for now............the very long term plan is to eventually have an elite so i will wait.......thanks :y :y :y

albitz

« Reply #17 on: 11 January 2012, 18:34:46 »

I think they are the best upgrade I have done to my car personally.I wouldnt be without them tbh.I will if I have to swap back to my projectors for the MOT and then put the HID,s back on afterwards. Not yet convinced this will be the case,but will try to pop in and speak to my MOT man on Friday.
As said in PM Paul, I will take them back if they arent any good to you. Up to you whichever way you want to go mate. :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 January 2012, 19:48:36 »

Why. Same could be said for upgrading to 3.0ltr cams
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 January 2012, 19:50:30 »

Not when you don't drive in the dark! :D
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 January 2012, 19:53:03 »

Not when you don't drive in the dark! :D
Members upgrade to 3.0ltr cams for more power and it`s yippee doo, upgrade to HID`s and it`s ...."more trouble than it`s worth" ???

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 January 2012, 20:07:42 »

I do think HIDs are more trouble than worth, seeing as all the rules and advice seem to be open to interpretation.  Clearly, government departments are trying to make retrofitted HIDs comply with new car standards. Rightly IMHO, as too many retards out there.

But even if you can get it through MOT with a friendly tester, any number of people can pull you up due to high lights or glare from dirty lenses. And their interpretation can be different. Even if it gos no further than a show-er down the local nick, its a pain.

I was often getting pulled and having to show docs at Aylesbury nick, purely because I used to drive my GTE not far from Blackbird Leys (the place that the joyriders were caught on camera in Oxford, so everytime joyriding was mentioned in the early 90s, it was that clip).

Given that Nightbreakers etc almost match HIDs (and surpass old bulb HIDs), seems too much bother for the benefit....

...now ribs to clear halogens...  :y
Grumpy old man

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2012, 08:50:31 »

I did this on my last car - a MFL CD estate.

The washer pump relay/wiring etc just plugs straight into the existing loom. The pump/pipes etc are fairly straightforward with the bumper off. The only thing that was time consuming was spraying the trim strips under the headlight the correct colour. Not hard, just time consuming. You could always drill your existing ones - but that makes it more difficult to remove afterwards.

Levelling aside, the wiring for the headlight clusters was straightforward - but the connectors are different so capability with splicing wiring is needed. The cables are fairly chunky so a good sized soldering iron will be needed (100 watts min). The ballasts take about 20 amps when firing up from cold (yes, I've measured it). The current draw gradually reduces back down to about 3.5 amps during the next few minutes. If the ballast can't get enough inrush current then the arc wont strike and you will get the same effect as an iffy flourescent light starting - so you have to use short lengths of thick cable to prevent this.

I used the manual levellers from the old projectors and the car has now passed 2 MOTs with these fitted.

I also set up the whole self levelling gubbins on a bench and got it working. The level sensors, ECU and levellers. It would be a fair bit of wiring to retrofit to a car but doable for sure. Unless ordered as an option on lesser cars, the necessary wiring wont be fitted as only Elites and MV6s had xenons on MFL with CDXs also on FL cars.

Hope these comments are useful.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2012, 14:28:50 »

I do think HIDs are more trouble than worth, seeing as all the rules and advice seem to be open to interpretation.  Clearly, government departments are trying to make retrofitted HIDs comply with new car standards. Rightly IMHO, as too many retards out there.

Indeed. In addition, what constitutes an MOT is one matter. What constitutes legal construction and use is another. The former doesn't guarantee the latter, should the Police, a VOSA inspector, Insurance assessor, etc. decide to have a nosey. It is a fact that HIDs do badly dazzle other drivers unless they are levelling dynamically. That's why automatic, rather than manual, level control is required.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2012, 18:12:33 »

all comments greatly appreciated learnt a few things but i will just put some night breakers in, even i can do that..........i think

thanks everyone :y :y

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 January 2012, 18:33:19 »

all comments greatly appreciated learnt a few things but i will just put some night breakers in, even i can do that..........i think

;D ;D
Problem is Paul, when there`s talk regarding retrofitting of HID`s, the soapboxes come out

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2012, 13:27:13 »

Problem is Paul, when there`s talk regarding retrofitting of HID`s, the soapboxes come out

;D ;D ;D  :y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2012, 17:32:16 »

;D ;D
Ultimately, anything is possible.  Whether it legal or worth potential grief if it goes tits up, well, thats upto whover wants to fit them.

As to the soapboxes, quite a few salespeople use them as well.....  ;)   :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.