Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 01 Omega 2.5TD Won't Start  (Read 885 times)

NathanCoyle

• View Profile
01 Omega 2.5TD Won't Start
« on: 12 March 2011, 14:35:34 »

Hi everyone, not been on the forum very long but I now need some advice about my omega.
Basically the car won't start. Its been fine up to now, though I've only had it about a month. When I tried starting to today it turns over and seems to fire for a split second then dies. I've tried it a few times now and looked at fueses but cant see any gone.

Could it be the diesel pump or something? Last night when I was parked and the car was idling it was making an odd noise like a higher pitch sound coming from the engine. Never heard it before and today it wont start so thought it might be connected.

Any help or info on what to check would be great.

Thanks,

Nathan.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: 01 Omega 2.5TD Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: 12 March 2011, 15:21:54 »

Hmmm,
could be anynumber of things
how much fuel is in it?
if its under 20litres then its the lift pump in the tank could be at fault fairly common problem and a reasonably fix
mileage? manual or auto?

NathanCoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 March 2011, 15:31:47 »

Its just above empty but the light isnt on yet. Its a manuel and has 105K on it.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 March 2011, 15:54:47 »

As Omegatoy says ......
Try putting a few gallons in first and see what happens.
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2011, 16:01:45 »

ok 2 ways of trying it, easy way unscrew fuel filter, fill with diesel, replace  and try to start if it goes straight away then you know its the pump!!does sound like lift pump get 25litres or more in the tank and try it, dom not switch it off drive direct to fuel station and fill tank, dont let it get below 20 litres until you follow the how to on here and clean the lift pump!! :y

NathanCoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2011, 17:18:57 »

Ok thanks, Im going to go get a couple cans of diesel and see if it starts. Hopefully thats all it is. Will be back later and let you know.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2011, 17:32:33 »

ok 2 ways of trying it, easy way unscrew fuel filter, fill with diesel, replace  and try to start if it goes straight away then you know its the pump!!does sound like lift pump get 25litres or more in the tank and try it, dom not switch it off drive direct to fuel station and fill tank, dont let it get below 20 litres until you follow the how to on here and clean the lift pump!! :y

Here's the business: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1251298222
 :y

Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

NathanCoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 March 2011, 18:02:23 »

Its got near half a tank of diesel now and still the same. Does that mean its likely to be the diesel pump then?

robg1984

• immigham n.e.lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 March 2011, 20:35:31 »

i had the same problem on my diesel changed the pump and it still wouldnt start had to bleed the system of air! dont know if it would be the same in your case :-/
« Last Edit: 12 March 2011, 20:37:15 by robg7 »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2011, 21:18:41 »

if its the lift pump in the tank not working it will take a hell of a lot of cranking before it fires up unless you fill the diesel filter first, when you remove the filter make sure the fuel heater is nipped up and not loose, its on the fuel filter mounting above the fuel filter, this is the cause of many non starts after a filter removal,

NathanCoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2011, 21:18:40 »

It started today first time, so I drove straight to the petrol station and filled up just incase it is the lift pump. Runs fine and hasnt lost any performance but there still is a noise coming from round then engine. Sounds a bit like a whine from something that is spinning/turning.

NathanCoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2011, 22:38:26 »

Wouldn't start for ages on monday even with a full take of diesel so couldn't be the lift pump. Droped it in with my mechanics on monday evening and they worked on it yesterday. Fault code was saying general glow plug fault, 3 were done and the other 3 on there way out so got them replaced. But tonight its back to normal :( taking ages to start. What could it be? Runs grand and hasnt lost any power once started.

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 March 2011, 08:01:52 »

Turn the ignition on and listen you will here the pump running for 5 seconds then it cuts off if you don't here it running it breaked.(mind just turn ignition on Don't start the engine)
As omegatoy has said before check for air leaks at the fuel filter make sure the heater on the filter casing is seated properly(you will feel it drop into a notch) and the leak off pipes are not drawing air.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.