Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ahh a TYRE thread (because we've never had one)  (Read 5161 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Ahh a TYRE thread (because we've never had one)
« Reply #30 on: 10 June 2015, 11:33:11 »

Just out of interest, I've found a source of never used Dunlop SP 200Es. They're £100 the set, so £25 per tyre for a brand name, I think I might have a punt on these. I'm still looking out for a set (or just one at once, when they crop up at the right price) of the Continentals, I just like the 'sound' of these the most.

Find out how old they are.  As even though they've never beeen used, they may be ancient hence the price.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 June 2015, 11:46:22 »

Just out of interest, I've found a source of never used Dunlop SP 200Es. They're £100 the set, so £25 per tyre for a brand name, I think I might have a punt on these. I'm still looking out for a set (or just one at once, when they crop up at the right price) of the Continentals, I just like the 'sound' of these the most.

Find out how old they are.  As even though they've never beeen used, they may be ancient hence the price.  ;)

The rear tyres on the family Corsa are original 2003 rubber.

27,000 miles and no problem cometh the MOT man. 

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 June 2015, 11:56:25 »

Bought a set of 5 alloys for the lady - the original PFL CDX rims. No, they're not particularly pretty, and certainly not the largest wheels at 15" but at £40 for five wheels (and a few miles of tread left on two) can't complain, excellent condition, and they're original for the car, so good for Billing wheels  :)

Old spare wheel rubber will fit too, as a bonus (when I find some). But for the short-term might actually end up buying new tyres (the horror!!) but just out of interest, there's lots of info about what tyres for 16s, 17 and 18s on Omegas, but would these experiences with tyres be less-relevant on my piddly 15s, or every bit as important?

So in a nutshell - "wot tyres for me 15s?"

Thanks in advance :-)
Remember that the spares generally have a low speed rating, and *may* invalidate your insurance.

As to Opti and his F1's, over 6 tyres I've had a 50% failure rate, and "refunded" by the manufacturer (but not admitted liability).  It would appear they cannot handle hard driving.

....lunacy in Brackley. ;D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 June 2015, 12:17:22 »

Plenty problem with first wet bend though ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 June 2015, 12:24:43 »

RAIN?? In ENGLAND??? Are you quite sane??  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 June 2015, 19:14:41 »

Nope, it will pass any MOT, along with a whole number of things that make a car dangerous.

You may find insurance is invalid if you're unlucky.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 June 2015, 19:16:18 »

Bought a set of 5 alloys for the lady - the original PFL CDX rims. No, they're not particularly pretty, and certainly not the largest wheels at 15" but at £40 for five wheels (and a few miles of tread left on two) can't complain, excellent condition, and they're original for the car, so good for Billing wheels  :)

Old spare wheel rubber will fit too, as a bonus (when I find some). But for the short-term might actually end up buying new tyres (the horror!!) but just out of interest, there's lots of info about what tyres for 16s, 17 and 18s on Omegas, but would these experiences with tyres be less-relevant on my piddly 15s, or every bit as important?

So in a nutshell - "wot tyres for me 15s?"

Thanks in advance :-)
Remember that the spares generally have a low speed rating, and *may* invalidate your insurance.

As to Opti and his F1's, over 6 tyres I've had a 50% failure rate, and "refunded" by the manufacturer (but not admitted liability).  It would appear they cannot handle hard driving.

....lunacy in Brackley. ;D
I wouldn't expect budgets to fail that way, so appalled that premium tyres have, bought at 2 different times.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 June 2015, 19:19:40 »

I think TB has been unlucky with Goodyear for some reason. Given he refuses to drive within the envelope of whatever tyre is fitted to his car.

Interesting though. :)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 June 2015, 19:24:50 »

my MPss are going very nicely btw ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 10 June 2015, 19:57:39 »

Plenty problem with first wet bend though ::)

Pirelli P6000. They still have plenty of meat left. :y

The fronts were changed about 10,000 miles ago  for some cheap Chinese crap. :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 June 2015, 21:05:26 »

I think TB has been unlucky with Goodyear for some reason. Given he refuses to drive within the envelope of whatever tyre is fitted to his car.
One tyre would have been unlucky. 2, almost impossible. 3, the tyre must be shite.

I expect a premium tyre to perform like a premium tyre. F1's failed due to seemingly manufacturing faults.  SC5s just didn't grip and wore themselves out in 3k.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.