Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions on the estates subwoofer.  (Read 2008 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Opinions on the estates subwoofer.
« on: 09 June 2020, 11:15:09 »

I removed the NCDC 2013 from my FL estate and replaced it with a Alpine / Focal / Infinity setup a few years ago.
Sounds very nice with all the modern toys (Bluetooth / DAB / Hands Free phone) you realistically need but the bass has always been lacking or rather if I turn up the base, it screws up the quality of the mid range.
Decided to take the plunge and acquire a Bose Sub housing off here.
My first thought was to replace the 2 ohm duel coil speaker with a decent quality aftermarket sub but looking at the prices, I don't want to take the plunge until I can get something close to what I want.

Can the 2 ohm duel coil Bose speaker be converted to run off a 4 ohm system ?
The amp is a 70 watts x4 Focal unit which I intend to bridge out the rear 2 channels for the sub, use the front 2 for the front door speakers and power the rear door speakers directly from the head unit.

Sensible opinions invited  ;) :)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions on the estates subwoofer.
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2020, 13:19:35 »

Speaker wiring modified for 4 ohm and installed back in its housing.
I know where / how if fits but having never seen a estate bose subwoofer installed in a car before.
Do I need to replace the side trim or cut and fit a grill so that the base can get out or will it work out okay hidden behind the drop down panel ?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2020, 14:19:58 »

Was about to say, but sounds like you've already suss,ed it, re wire the 2 X 2 Ohm coils in series to 4 Ohm single, just make sure you have rewired them in phase and not out of phase.

The rewire wire also means you now running mono, which is fine for Sub Base, so depending on the Amp, some give options of Mono Sub Base out or Bridge to two sub base channels together, by the way a lot of Sub Base Amps will happerly run down down to 2 Ohms anyway, will either be in the spec sheet or a switch.

As for fitting the Bose Box it just fits behind the passinger side panel, no holes needed, more of a feel it rather than hear it method. There not bad boxes actually, I prefer them more than over the Saloon Bose rear twin parcel shelf set up, more of a deeper sub feel in the car, but just remember there not the most power rated by today's standards so hardly going to unblock any ear wax if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2020, 14:30:13 by zirk »

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2020, 14:39:16 »

Was about to say, but sounds like you've already suss,ed it, re wire the 2 X 2 Ohm coils in series to 4 Ohm single, just make sure you have rewired them in phase and not out of phase.

The rewire wire also means you now running mono, which is fine for Sub Base, so depending on the Amp, some give options of Mono Sub Base out or Bridge to two sub base channels together, by the way a lot of Sub Base Amps will happerly run down down to 2 Ohms anyway, will either be in the spec sheet or a switch.

As for fitting the Bose Box it just fits behind the passinger side panel, no holes needed, more of a feel it rather than hear it method. There not bad boxes actually, I prefer them more than over the Saloon Bose rear twin parcel shelf set up, more of a deeper sub feel in the car.

Thanks for that lot  :)

Found a handy site  jlaudio.zendesk.com which clarified what was already buzzing around my head ref the sub connections  :y

The amp is a Focal 3 or 4 channel amp which is bridgeable and has its own cut off filters.
The head unit has 3 RCA outputs and is fully configurable for the various cut off frequencies so i'll have a play with the setup to see if I leave it as a normal output and do the switching at the amp OR I configure it at the head unit  :-\
All this can be done from a Alpine phone app apparently  ::)

All this when I get a day off and its not chuffin raining  :'(

Thanks again  :)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2020, 17:09:37 »

Be interested to see some pictures of the installation  :y

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 June 2020, 17:38:27 »

This is the amp
Its the false floor that cock eyed not the amp  ;D
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=141507.msg1851757#msg1851757

The Infinity components are well and truly past there best so the lad got me a nice pair of Focal components for Christmas which i'll be installing.

I've also just ordered some sound proofing sheets and foam sealing tape to seal up any gaps off Jaimie's favourite site.
Back at work tomorrow till next Wednesday then got 5 days holiday.
Fingers crossed, i'll get most of it done by then  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.