Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rear dampers for MV6  (Read 905 times)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Rear dampers for MV6
« on: 19 May 2007, 18:11:01 »

The back end of my Omega has recently started to feel really floaty, I have to take corners much more slowly than I normally would, and when going over bumps at any speed it feels like the back is oscillating up and down! It's bad enough that I'm going to stop driving it until it's sorted... back to the BMW and it's 18 MPG for now ::).

My first port of call is the rear dampers. The strange thing is that it appears to have got much worse very suddenly, rather than the gradual decline in handling I'd expect with worn dampers. Saying that, the Omega was off the road for 3 weeks while I repaired a stripped plug thread, so maybe it's the fact that I've been driving only the BMW in that time has highlighted just how bad the Omega's handling has become! There are no unusual noises that I can hear.

My car has the self-levelling suspension, which personally I consider to be a bit pointless in a saloon, especially since it's rarely ever got anything substantial in the boot except the dual-fuel tank, which is right over the axle anyway. Is it worthwhile just dumping it and fitting normal dampers? Seems there's a price premium of c.£100 per damper for these :O.

Can anyone recommend any brands/suppliers, along with prices? I'm not looking for anything fancy, but obviously I'd like to go for at least factory level of handling, which on the MV6 are a bit stiffer than normal Omega dampers I believe. Are they on trade club, and if so how much?

Cheers.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Re: Rear dampers for MV6
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2007, 18:33:18 »

Just went out and done a bounce test; the rear right damper is definitely fubar! That'll explain the dodgy handling then  :-X

How difficult are these to change?

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2007, 18:34:48 »

Never seen an MV6 with self levelling setup.  :-?

The self levelling dampers are £140 ish for a pair on TC.
The normal ones are £100 ish on TC.

I have Bilsteins on the MV6 along with Irmscher lowering springs and the grip at the back is rather a lot better than standard! :)

I would seriously consider changing the springs while you are at it.
The Administrator.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2007, 18:56:22 »

I did think about replacing the lot with Bilsteins, but at ~£400 it's too expensive for this car, which was bought to save me money after all ::).

How much are the springs, and how much did you pay for your setup?

I had a look on fleabay and found these, at that price I assume they're garbage lol.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.