Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Part numbers for air vent and MID bulbs  (Read 1321 times)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
Part numbers for air vent and MID bulbs
« on: 30 August 2007, 10:53:11 »

Hi guys

I've finally decided to sort out the lack of illumination of my heater vent controls, so it looks like I need to replace all 4 bulbs. I took one out in the vain hope of buying them from Halfords, but no such luck -- they're only 0.5W and the lowest power Halfords do are 1.2W I think. Seems it's a dealer-only bulb so a part number would save some hassle (and risk of getting the wrong part) when I go to the local stealers.

Likewise, I think one of my MID bulbs is out, as it's a little duller on the right side. Again a part number would be good -- don't suppose it's the same bulb as the headlight switch, as I have a spare one of those?

One more question: Is the rear air vent control supposed to be illuminated too? Mine isn't, but I'm not sure if there's a bulb to replace in there.

Cheers.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Part numbers for air vent and MID bulbs
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2007, 10:59:22 »

Air vent illumination:

BULB, 12V. 1.2W.    9198599

looks like a std 1.2W capless bulb (once pulled from holder)?

MID:
BULB, 12V/3W, WITH HOLDER, DISPLAY UNIT   -V1999999 90002514

(yours is prefacelift?)
Grumpy old man

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2007, 11:04:45 »

They do sell them in Halfords (brace yourself - they are outrageously expensive), and there are 5 of them if you have ECC , not sure otherwise.  Best to change all of them while you have the thing in pieces.

where did you get the .5W from - as TB says they are 1.2W.   When I did mine I couldn't remove them from the holder so there may be different sorts out there.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2007, 11:33:44 »

Cheers guys. I'm a little confused now -- I removed one yesterday from the driver's side vent, by popping off the semi-circle panel on the end of the dash, then removing the rectangular bulb holder from behind the vent. Inside that was the small bulb with a plastic base, with 12V 0.5W stamped on it. It's just a push fit, so pull to remove. The bulbs I saw in Halfords did look like the right size (although they were capless) but the 1.2W put me off :-? IIRC they were £1.79 each so probably cheaper at the stealer :o. Maybe I can get them from Maplin, who are closer to me and open later, so much easier to get to during opening hours. Off to have a look at their website now.

It's possible a previous owner has changed this bulb and fitted one of the wrong power rating. I'll try and get a photo tonight, although my skills in photographing something that small (without it being out of focus) are sorely lacking.

BTW Yes I have climate control, pre-facelift retail MV6. Does the rear vent control illuminate too?

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2007, 11:43:19 »

Doesn't look like Maplin have anything suitable :(

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2007, 12:08:41 »

I'm now a bit confused as to which bulbs you're talking about.  I had assumed it was the bulbs that illuminate the temperature settings and the controls on the climate panel.   Now I don't think so.

I've never changed a bulb in the vents - you mean the nobbly wheel I assume..?

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2007, 12:55:51 »

I believe he's talking about the thumb wheel illunination on the air vents. While were on the subject I notice mine are illuminated on the driver and passenger sides. No illumination on the centre vent thumb wheel. Is this correct or has the bulb blown ?  

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2007, 13:15:44 »

Yes the wheel for the air flow from the vents. The climate control panel bulbs are fine, I have already replaced those.

I believe there is a bulb or two in the centre vents, for these you need to pop the actual vents out using a pair of butter knives or similar, then there are 2 or 3 screws that are undone to remove the surround. Looks like a relatively easy job, I just haven't bothered as I don't have the replacement bulbs yet.

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2007, 10:36:40 »

Cheers for that, got them sorted at the weekend. Turns out there are only 3 bulbs for the air vents in the front, the centre vents are both illuminated by a single bulb.

Air vent illumination:

BULB, 12V. 1.2W.    9198599

looks like a std 1.2W capless bulb (once pulled from holder)?

This is the correct bulb.

MID:
BULB, 12V/3W, WITH HOLDER, DISPLAY UNIT   -V1999999 90002514

(yours is prefacelift?)

This one however isn't! After removing the dash, I discover that the MID takes the same bulbs as the dash itself, the little plastic base ones with two metal tabs that rotate 90 degrees to lock into place. The one given to me by VX was a capless push fit bulb, similar to the air vent ones but a lot larger :-?. Seeing as the MID and dash warning lights use the same bulbs, I went about salvaging one of those. The towbar, seatbelt and catalyst warning lights don't have a bulb (presumably as they're never used in this country). As luck would have it though, the little "S" thing did have a working bulb, and as my car has a real gearbox that works from the most sophisticated computer known to man -- the human brain -- meaning it doesn't need any idiot lights ;), the bulb was scavenged and fitted to the MID. Works a treat, I now have even illumination across the MID, and of course all my front air vents illuminated :y.

Which leaves one question: Should the rear vents be illuminated? I had a good look around them and can't work out anywhere the bulb could be, and I took out the heated seat & lighter panel to check for wiring for the bulb but didn't find any, so I'm guessing they're not illuminated.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2007, 10:38:55 by Paul_M »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2007, 11:06:22 »

Not sure about rears...  ...if there is no light guide behind the vents, then I'd say no....
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 September 2007, 11:10:36 »

Not sure about rears...  ...if there is no light guide behind the vents, then I'd say no....

I removed the vents themselves, but not the surround as it appears to require removal of the whole rear part of the centre console. Can't see any light guides, so I'm pretty sure there's no bulb, but to be sure I'm wondering if anyone else's illuminates?

Not that it really matters, I never sit in the back anyway. I just like everything to be working as it should.

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 September 2007, 11:15:39 »

as far as I could see its just the 'O' that lights up (prefacelift) but not sure about the back.   TBH that's way down my list of jobs to do.. ;)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 September 2007, 11:19:59 »

as far as I could see its just the 'O' that lights up (prefacelift) but not sure about the back.   TBH that's way down my list of jobs to do.. ;)

The line on the wheel should light up too, although it's quite dull due to the design with light guides.

I do have a few other jobs to do, but this one is so cheap, quick and easy that it seemed a shame not to! The two side vents can be done literally in two minutes, the centre one a little longer but still less than 5 minutes. And the cost for all 3 bulbs... about £2 from your nearest stealer ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.