Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cleaning breathers  (Read 1377 times)

EddieX

• Halstead Essex
    • View Profile
Cleaning breathers
« on: 27 August 2006, 21:23:08 »

Followed Ronald McBurger's 'How to' today, there is something missing from his post - what to do when the small pipe from crankcase breather rots and glues itself to its spiggot then breaks off when you try to remove it.....on a Sunday......and the dealer is in the next town......and shut. :'(

On a more serious note, am I right in thinking the other small pipe that comes from the solenoid valve is the fuel tank breather and not connected to the crankcase? Mine looked nice and clean so shouldn't the advice be to just check it? :-/

I've read on the forum somewhere that the wiper arms come off with a good tug and a wiggle.
Did mine? Is the pope Jewish?
If anyone else has the same problem, try this.- After removing the nut, screw on a full size M8 nut finger tight then back it off half a turn. Take a pair of long nosed pliers or better still, those long nose mole grips with a sideways bend in the jaws, fit them loosely on the spindle behind the wiper arm boss. With a smallish hammer in one hand and levering up on the mole grips with the other hand, give the M8 nut a sharp whack. That should do the trick. ;) Do the nearside arm in the parked position and move the offside arm to full stroke to improve access. :)
"Onwards and Downwards"

RonaldMcBurger

Re: Cleaning breathers
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2006, 21:42:44 »

LOL Eddie! Yes, I've done this myself just the other day whilst trying to salvage one from the MV6.

The wiper arms do come off easy enough, but there is a definite knack. Drivers side one, fold the arm and then wiggle it like mad. it just pops off. Passenger side, close bonnet and do the same.

Anyway, I hope the guide was sme help at least. I will do more photos next week when I do mine.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2006, 21:59:02 »

the wiper arms can be little gits... as McB says just need a good wiggle and the right nack. Don't force anything just keep wiggling, as long as the arm is folded it will pop off eventually!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2006, 07:06:12 »

I managed to remove my wiper arms by removing the nuts....and then with the wipers still on the windscreen push the arms towards the windscreen....they then popped off.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2006, 10:07:04 »

I managed to remove my wiper arms by removing the nuts....and then with the wipers still on the windscreen push the arms towards the windscreen....they then popped off.
This is method I use - constant banging the hinge part of wiper against screen. As soon as the wiper can start to rotate (hence the spline join freed), just a wiggle to get off.
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2006, 10:34:58 »

...and a touch of copper grease on re-assmebly will help them come of easy next time.
Alas, no more Omegas....

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2006, 14:33:58 »

The easiest way to remove the wiper arms is to start doing a compression test, spend so long trying to get the plug out of pot 6 that the engine has gone cold, think you've got purchase on the plug, apply some force only for it to slip and cause you to smash your hand into the sharpest point on the engine.  Then try just moving the scuttle out of the way with one hand while turning the plug with the other, making sure you lose grip and squash at least 3 fingers as the scuttle springs back.

At this point it is a breeze,  start reciting all the swear words you can think of, whilst undoing the 13mm bolts, have an assistant (wife preferable) come and ask hows things are going, and then simply rip the little bastard off with one satisfying yell of GET OFF YOU BASTARD!

Well it worked for me ;D

EddieX

• Halstead Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2006, 15:02:37 »

The easiest way to remove the wiper arms is to start doing a compression test, spend so long trying to get the plug out of pot 6 that the engine has gone cold, think you've got purchase on the plug, apply some force only for it to slip and cause you to smash your hand into the sharpest point on the engine.  Then try just moving the scuttle out of the way with one hand while turning the plug with the other, making sure you lose grip and squash at least 3 fingers as the scuttle springs back.

At this point it is a breeze,  start reciting all the swear words you can think of, whilst undoing the 13mm bolts, have an assistant (wife preferable) come and ask hows things are going, and then simply rip the little bastard off with one satisfying yell of GET OFF YOU BASTARD!

Well it worked for me ;D

LOL!  In that case you will enjoy reading that this mornings task was trying, and failing, to find the pipe clip I dropped down the back of the engine last night! :( Whoever designed the ancillary installations on the V6 needs a pinaple inserting where the sun don't shine.  ;D
"Onwards and Downwards"
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.