Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wood door trim  (Read 1400 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Wood door trim
« on: 31 March 2016, 14:23:24 »

How is the wood door trim fixed on  ??? Can it be removed without taking the door card off  :-\ Cant remember how its fixed , been a long time since i took the card off  :-[
Omegatitis

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Wood door trim
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2016, 14:27:35 »

PFL you can lever with a suitable wide pry, it's held on with small spring steel washer-like grips. Leaving the washer jobbies rattling about in the door card  :)

FL it's effectively a plastic rivet, the 'tube' is heated and spread on the inside of the door card. Hacksaw blade is the only controllable, safe/easiest way I found. Approximately half a dozen per 'wood' trim strip :)

So, sorry, for FL it's door card off. On the plus side, you're spending far longer taking the trim off than you are taking off the door card, which is but a few mins job.  :y

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2016, 14:30:23 »

PFL you can lever with a suitable wide pry, it's held on with small spring steel washer-like grips. Leaving the washer jobbies rattling about in the door card  :)

FL it's effectively a plastic rivet, the 'tube' is heated and spread on the inside of the door card. Hacksaw blade is the only controllable, safe/easiest way I found. Approximately half a dozen per 'wood' trim strip :)

Superior FL eh  ::) So basically its got to be hacked off and melted back on  :(
Omegatitis

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2016, 14:56:03 »

If you'd care to follow the patented-pending DBG method  :y then...

as above, hacksaw off the 'rivet heads' do whatever it is you wanted to do with them off (I retrimmed the door cards with Calibra cream leather) upon refitting we found that the screws off the inside of Rover door cards are actually excellent for this. They're basically short self-tappers with a wide head, nice nickel finish, but the thread is serrated so cuts into plastic beautifully, rather than just stretching it. I'm sure these screws will be available commercially, or for free off an old Rover (600, probably others too) door card, like I did.

The plastic 'rivet heads', once off, reveal a tube on the 'wood' which takes the screws very well. No need to attempt with re-melting, glue or anything of the like.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2016, 15:10:46 »

Superior FL eh  ::)
Whoever said FL's are superior.  Every OOFer knows the MFL is the peak of the Omegas....   ....including iron oxide generation
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2016, 15:37:47 »

Superior FL eh  ::)
Whoever said FL's are superior.  Every OOFer knows the MFL is the peak of the Omegas....   ....including iron oxide generation
Well it has to be good for summat ::)

For wood trims, a dremmel is easier on the fingers... You can use the opportunity to retrieve the fabric panel whilst at it... I have a set of reasonable cream alcantara ones here if of interest...

Not home for a couple of days, but might have a pic handy ;)

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2016, 15:41:46 »

13mm HSS drill bit to remove the spreaded "collar" then these screws (app.6-8mm long) to refix the wood trim
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2016, 16:03:41 »

Dremels, multitools, and as Rob G says, a decent sized drill bit will also 'do the biz' At the time none of the above were handy, so went with the bit of snapped hacksaw black wrapped in masking tape method.  :D

Rob has amazed me by having a pic handy   :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2016, 22:06:49 »

13mm HSS drill bit to remove the spreaded "collar" then these screws (app.6-8mm long) to refix the wood trim

Yep, that's the method I used, just drilled the plastic 'rivet' collar off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.