Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SD Cards Dont Fail do they  (Read 3233 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
SD Cards Dont Fail do they
« on: 14 March 2017, 20:10:58 »

Well we all know they do, and if you dont you should do.

Just had another one fail, thats 2 now since Xmas, and where not talking rubbish ones either, genuine SanDisk Extreme 64gb.

Pulled it from a switch off Android, into the PC, hmm, thats not right, fuffed around for a while, ejecting, re mount it etc, soon become apparent some thing was wrong, 59gb storage, 59gb free, and a load off garbled file names on there, hmm, back in the Android just in case, nope same deal, back in the PC, now running CHKDSK etc, no joy, ok, thats f**ked then.  ::)

Now I do do Backs Ups, once a week with PC stuff, but If Im totatally honest with myself, I couldn't remember the last I backed this SD Card up,  :(, so theres bound to some Photos, Docs and other crap thats on there that may not be backed for a while, OneDrive, and some other Cloud stuff I use should have done its job, yea right  :-\, so that should lust leave any Docs and Files I stored since last back.

So, ready to Format, I then released some old Utilities I used to use, EaseUs Data Recovery, but unfortunately thieve changed the rules and the newer Free version only lets you recover 500mb now without paying ransom money, as do most of these Apps, not much good for a 64gb Card, then remember another one from our friends of CCleaner, Piriform Recuva Free Version, so gave that a go, 2 hours later of scanning, hey presto, recovered over 100gb of Data (the more than 64GB size is due to previous over written stuff on the Card), so selected what I wanted to recover across to the PC, pretty much recovered what I needed, so job done and on this occasion lucky.  :y :-[

If you want to download for a rainy day - https://www.piriform.com/recuva
« Last Edit: 14 March 2017, 20:15:52 by zirk »

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Re: SD Cards Dont Fail do they
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2017, 20:47:39 »

That's lot of trouble just to recover the "naughty"rno (real word probably not permitted) videos that you didn't want anyone else to see  8)
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2017, 20:59:42 »

That's lot of trouble just to recover the "naughty"rno (real word probably not permitted) videos that you didn't want anyone else to see  8)
No that sort of stuff is well tucked away,  ;D

I tend to use my phone camera for all sorts of stuff, hand written notes, floor plans, contact details as well as survey shots for Method Statements, RAMs, etc , if I lose them without doing a PC bak means going back and doing another survey, which, Ive yet to have to do.  ::)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2017, 22:07:45 »

Reading about SSDs v HDDs when it comes to reliability the jury still seems to be out on if SSDs are more reliable or whether SSDs and HDDs just tend to fail in different ways.

I think the lesson is that we all need to make sure we back all importtant stuff regularly. With important stuff I run dual raid drives plus off-site backups.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2017, 22:10:17 »

For an HDD or SSD to fail, you must be giving them some wellie. I've run computers that are ten years old with no problems. Had a few SD cards wipe their own arses though.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2017, 22:26:59 »

None of my stuff is really critical, but even so still a pain in the but if it goes, and it has done in the past.

So . . . .

Frequent backup: 64Gb USB memory stick that stay on my keyring
Not so frequent: External USB drives
When I can be arsed: 2nd internal SATA drive

And I don't do backups, I use freefilesync, so just straight copies.

Yes. I've had USB drives fail or become corrupted, don't know why. I always eject/dismount properly.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2017, 22:28:07 »

None of my stuff is really critical, but even so still a pain in the but if it goes, and it has done in the past.

So . . . .

Yes. I've had USB drives fail or become corrupted, don't know why. I always eject/dismount properly.
I should think so too. Respect the sheep!

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2017, 22:30:52 »

So . . . .

I say "thank you" as well  ::)

STEMO

« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2017, 22:32:47 »

So . . . .

I say "thank you" as well  ::)
You're a baaaaaaad man, Rog.  ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2017, 22:39:12 »

For an HDD or SSD to fail, you must be giving them some wellie. I've run computers that are ten years old with no problems. Had a few SD cards wipe their own arses though.

Touch wood, HDD failures are quite rare these days and I run all my computers 24/7 as MTBF is really improved when components aren't temperature cycled and don't suffer regular switch-on stress.

I have had a fair few camera SD cards and USB drive failures.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2017, 01:58:48 »

use google drive, free 15GB of online backup space.   just designate one folder as google drive then keep your important stuff in there,  automatically backs up any time you are online.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 March 2017, 10:18:27 »

Nothing new about Flash failure in fact, the stored 'bits' of data are known to flip state even shortly after writing and hence why Error correction and check bits are used with every write and also why the controllers inside the devices implement wear levelling routines (silicon systems used to have a lot of patented technique for improving things a lot but they got taken over).

Hard facts are that every time you read the stored data probably already has some errors which are corrected as you read them with the error correction, trouble is the errors grow there reaches a point where the error correction falls over and hence corruption.

This could be the odd file, a few pixels or maybe a directory but, when its the FAT its pretty much game over.....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 March 2017, 18:37:32 »

when its the FAT its pretty much game over.....
Although FAT was designed for unreliable (floppy) storage, so should have 2 copies.  But no journaling.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2017, 18:38:13 »

You'll be pleased to know that your OOF pages are served from SSD  :-X
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2017, 19:28:29 »

You'll be pleased to know that your OOF pages are served from SSD  :-X

It could be worse, you could have an array of SD cards  ::) ;D

SSD is probably more reliable than HD these days as no moving parts to fail  :y
And obviously cheaper to run than HD's too  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.