Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water Pump Removal / Refit  (Read 1088 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Water Pump Removal / Refit
« on: 17 April 2007, 15:59:51 »

Brand new job to me. So has anyone done one ( course they have  ;) )

So what are the pitfalls,. anything to look out for, what sort of time should it take? Is haynes reliable for it?

Ive got new water pump and rubber seal. Guy in vx added that obviously there was no tensioner with it....got me thinking do i need to do this as well - i presume not as i am only replacing due to oil cooler failure and many on here suggest the rubber will perish  :-/
« Last Edit: 17 April 2007, 16:00:30 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
Re: Water Pump Removal / Refit
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2007, 16:15:51 »

Have you got the cambelt DVD? it should cover the strip-down to get to the water pump.

You can (in theory) change a water pump without removing the cambelt cover, there is just enough room to access the bolts but when I tried it recently I ended up replacing the camcover because the water pump was stuck fast and with the cover on there's not much to get hold of so I tried tapping it with a hide hammer and missed. :-[

ians

• Omega Baron
  • Reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2007, 16:18:14 »

Pretty straightforward - you strip down as per cambelt change (the dvd helps a lot), undo its bolts and whack it about a bit with a rubber mallet.  Stand clear because you'll get a fair bit of coolant out when it comes off, even if you have drained it off via the radiator tap.

Obviously if you are nearing a cambelt change it probably makes sense to do that at the same time.

Cheers

Ian

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2007, 17:15:10 »

You can (in theory) change a water pump without removing the cambelt cover, there is just enough room to access the bolts
Worked for me  :)
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2007, 17:45:34 »

thanks folks  :y

Think i will take the cam cover off - although the 2.6 omega engine its in a vectra  :o the engine is in at an angle so whilst the water pump is accessable from front on Omega its at the side on the vectra and will need the cover off.

Will have a watch again at the cambelt dvd before hand ( had forgotten that would be on there)   :)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2007, 18:58:38 »

Waterpump nice and easy.  Whilst you have out, try to get as much sludge out of block.  Flush through from water inlet out through water pump aperture...
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.