Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cordless Mowers  (Read 3487 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Cordless Mowers
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2023, 10:53:14 »

I rather think Tigger has had his question answered. :)

I can replace my electric Bosch for about a hundred and twenty notes like for like, so that's what I'll probably end up doing.  :)

Although I have quite a big lawn, I expect that I'll have plugged mine in, whipped around and would be enjoying a cold beer while admiring my handywork, by the time you get your petrol jobbie started up.  ;D
Nope, your wrong at every level Sir Tim, but you knew that already ;D.

I bet I can stream the edges with my useless Wank and Decker cordless, and cut front and rear, whilst you're still dicking around getting the extension reel out....    ...and that includes first use of the year, when I might have to pull the cord 2 or 3 times.

And to top it off, if I've been lazy and let the grass grow a bit long, the only downside is I have to empty the grass box more often.

Cutting the grass is dull enough, without pissing around with cables.  Hence I was looking at cordless (but they are still shit), and would never, ever consider a plug in electric one again. Ever.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2023, 10:57:29 »

Had our petrol mower for several years only serviced once in all that time totally neglected by me I have to admit, but starts first time every time and our lawns look great.

:y
I had a Honda Izy in my garage that hadn’t been started for at least four years. The fuel had long since evaporated so I put fresh fuel in it ……. and it started first pull. Some of them are just super reliable.  :y
I had an Izy, though it was a black and red one, before they were branded Izy. Brilliant engine on it. And with a manual throttle ;D.

Downside of mine, for somebody who never, ever cleans the mower, was the steel deck, that corroded badly after about 15yrs of me having it (and it wasn't new when I got it, it fell off the back of a lorry).  The only maintenance that ever got was fresh oil every 5 years, and plenty of welding towards the end.  The garage incident finished it off  :'(
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2023, 14:05:07 »

I rather think Tigger has had his question answered. :)

I can replace my electric Bosch for about a hundred and twenty notes like for like, so that's what I'll probably end up doing.  :)

Although I have quite a big lawn, I expect that I'll have plugged mine in, whipped around and would be enjoying a cold beer while admiring my handywork, by the time you get your petrol jobbie started up.  ;D
Nope, your wrong at every level Sir Tim, but you knew that already ;D.

I bet I can stream the edges with my useless Wank and Decker cordless, and cut front and rear, whilst you're still dicking around getting the extension reel out....    ...and that includes first use of the year, when I might have to pull the cord 2 or 3 times.

And to top it off, if I've been lazy and let the grass grow a bit long, the only downside is I have to empty the grass box more often.

Cutting the grass is dull enough, without pissing around with cables.  Hence I was looking at cordless (but they are still shit), and would never, ever consider a plug in electric one again. Ever.

You're very welcome to come down and show me how it's done TB, and I'll sit back and admire your handiwork with a cold beer.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2023, 14:08:47 »

https://youtu.be/pTRxZ878pQY

Tigger says he has a large lawn. I believe he owns half of 'Darzett'

This is what he needs. :)

Such things will be banned shortly in the drive to Net Zero, so I suppose the landed gentry like yourself Lord Opti, will have to go back to using serfs with scythes?  ???

Still, there will be plenty of work for the illegal immigrants!  ;D

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2023, 15:32:27 »

Such things will be banned shortly in the drive to Net Zero, so I suppose the landed gentry like yourself Lord Opti, will have to go back to using serfs with scythes?  ???

The way things are going they'll soon be legal.  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2023, 15:57:35 »

Once here the number that are returned is vanishingly small. Even when repeatedly told to leave they stay.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2023, 17:17:06 »

Once here the number that are returned is vanishingly small. Even when repeatedly told to leave they stay.

And the ones that do get kicked out just come back...  ::)

I read about an Albanian who has been deported three times. Our ruling classes are just pathetic!  >:(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2023, 17:25:42 »

And the ones that do get kicked out just come back...  ::)

I read about an Albanian who has been deported three times. Our ruling classes are just pathetic!  >:(

I hear that some are being paid £1500 to leave and not come back.

My guess is they take the money and leave, but come back again.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 May 2023, 23:37:15 »

………..
I should actually be tinkering with mine, as the revs are a tad low, but buggered if I can work out how the governor works!  Removing the springs and wedging the throttle in place, whilst might work, is defeatist....

As they lack adjustment screws, either bend the governor arm to tighten the spring or shorten the spring to increase rpm.  :y  What is it, a Hayter with a Briggs engine.
I since saw a gaytube vid about bending arm, but mine is like a cock in a sock, so might be wrong spring - what I assume is the actual throttle bit (towards the rear of the engine, when the 2 springs attach) can be moved over its full range without troubling the spring to have any tension.

But now I know what I'm looking at.  Still not quite sure how it knows how high it's revving though.

And, yup, Hayter Hawk  :y, donated to me by a colleague at work, following the garage incident.

Regarding the governor arm and how it works, a throttle spindle inside the engine has an umbrella type thing fitted on the end of it. If you can imagine a closed umbrella, when you spin it, it will open a bit. The faster you spin it the more it opens, until it hits something and can’t open any wider. So then you have to move whatever is restricting it farther out. In the case of the mower, it’s a spinner hitting the governor arm mechanism inside and restricting the rpm. By bending the governor arm, or shortening the spring slightly, you are moving the restriction farther away, hence the umbrella will open more and rpm will increase. By moving the governor arm nearer to the spinner/umbrella you will restrict the umbrella from fully opening so rpm will decrease in this instance. Quite primitive when you rip one apart but it’s simple and it works.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2023, 10:05:35 »

………..
I should actually be tinkering with mine, as the revs are a tad low, but buggered if I can work out how the governor works!  Removing the springs and wedging the throttle in place, whilst might work, is defeatist....

As they lack adjustment screws, either bend the governor arm to tighten the spring or shorten the spring to increase rpm.  :y  What is it, a Hayter with a Briggs engine.
I since saw a gaytube vid about bending arm, but mine is like a cock in a sock, so might be wrong spring - what I assume is the actual throttle bit (towards the rear of the engine, when the 2 springs attach) can be moved over its full range without troubling the spring to have any tension.

But now I know what I'm looking at.  Still not quite sure how it knows how high it's revving though.

And, yup, Hayter Hawk  :y, donated to me by a colleague at work, following the garage incident.

Regarding the governor arm and how it works, a throttle spindle inside the engine has an umbrella type thing fitted on the end of it. If you can imagine a closed umbrella, when you spin it, it will open a bit. The faster you spin it the more it opens, until it hits something and can’t open any wider. So then you have to move whatever is restricting it farther out. In the case of the mower, it’s a spinner hitting the governor arm mechanism inside and restricting the rpm. By bending the governor arm, or shortening the spring slightly, you are moving the restriction farther away, hence the umbrella will open more and rpm will increase. By moving the governor arm nearer to the spinner/umbrella you will restrict the umbrella from fully opening so rpm will decrease in this instance. Quite primitive when you rip one apart but it’s simple and it works.  :y

Should add that what I wrote above is a mechanical geared governor but they also do Air Vane governors that sense engine load and adapt throttle position accordingly and flyweight governors using centrifugal force to measure engine load.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 May 2023, 10:49:03 »

Should add that what I wrote above is a mechanical geared governor but they also do Air Vane governors that sense engine load and adapt throttle position accordingly and flyweight governors using centrifugal force to measure engine load.

The weights were usually spherical. Which is where the phrase balls out for running something at its limit comes from.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 May 2023, 10:50:34 »

Ta :y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2023, 17:06:53 »

So, Mr YZ, which spring?  They both appear to be pulling the throttle in the same direction?  Note, the top one barely does anything, no matter what position the throttle is in?

And also...
https://theboy.omegaowners.com/oofpics/oof_odds_and_sods/BaS-carb-vid.mov

Any pointers gratefully received.  Unless they are "clean it"
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2023, 17:10:15 »

Oops, soz for image size.  Poxy stupid Mac, it looked smaller on my screen ;D
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2023, 18:41:27 »

So, Mr YZ, which spring?  They both appear to be pulling the throttle in the same direction?  Note, the top one barely does anything, no matter what position the throttle is in?
………

The long spring controls the governor but I’m trying to determine whether your front plate is fixed or not. I had an old Briggs and Stratton Series 35 (still got it somewhere) and the front plate swivels on that to control rpm. I can’t see the swivel plate on yours but that may be because you’ve been mowing a cornfield with it.   ;D  I’ll have a gander online at your model.  :y

Mine was this type

https://youtu.be/HveZoY5ddVM

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.