Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pitman arm bush and other MOT advisories  (Read 1161 times)

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Pitman arm bush and other MOT advisories
« on: 14 May 2023, 08:51:42 »

Just had a pass with advisories, which I was expecting as just came out of storage, and only done timing belt and top end seals more recently. I've still to change out the wishbones bushes for superflexes and anything else that needs done. The advisories are:

• Exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases (Will be replacing the back & centre sections in due course)

Nearside Rear Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (Rear doughnut bushes)

Offside Rear Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement  (Rear doughnut bushes)

Nearside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing

Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material

Nearside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material

Steering box has slight free play detected at steering wheel

Front Drag link end ball joint has slight play

Regarding the steering arm thing is it easy enough to replace the bush on this, I see you can get lemforder one

https://aftermarket.zf.com/go/en/lemfoerder/catalogs/#/article/11602+03?languageID=4&brandID=35&countryID=GB

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/lemforder/1243643

He said he felt a bit of play in steering O/S however I couldn't see it when he showed me, he was pointing at the inner track rod, and both sides have had both arms replaced last Year and have practically 0 miles on them.

Are rear doughnuts better being replaced with silicone bushes?

Cheers

G

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Pitman arm bush and other MOT advisories
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2023, 10:44:29 »

Personally I would:

Replace the doughnut bushes with new ones. Straightforward job, and they'll last the remaining life of the car, so I don't see any need for upgrades. Better to spend the extra money refurbing the diff mounts, which are likely to be in a similar state.

Replace the whole exhaust system. They're cheap enough to make messing about with sections pointless. Saves time too.

New tyre(s)

I think greased brake pipes should be an immediate fail, so would make and fit new ones.

The steering components I would inspect again, and probably put the advisories down to the tester being far too fussy. Steering boxes always have some play, and the drop link movement seems to be thoroughly misunderstood

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2023, 16:25:42 »

Greased brake pipe advisory is only to cover testers backside as he is not allowed to clean them off and cant tell condition, wipe them clean and see if they are pitted/corroded before replacing as they could be fine. Tester probably not seen a steering box only racks!! 

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2023, 19:22:03 »

Greased brake pipe advisory is only to cover testers backside as he is not allowed to clean them off and cant tell condition, wipe them clean and see if they are pitted/corroded before replacing as they could be fine. Tester probably not seen a steering box only racks!!

That's why I think it ought to be a fail, as the only time brake pipes get greased is when they're already showing signs of corrosion. Any rust you can see is the tip of the iceberg.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2023, 19:25:25 »

All my classic Triumphs have some form of protection on their original steel brake and fuel pipes, with either the original dealer applied underseal which I keep supple with a yearly spray of Bilt Hamber or the like, or a thin film of heavy duty grease - never been an issue or advisory when they used to be MOT'd (now exempt, which is another debateable subject). The longest I've owned one of my current Triumphs is 39 years and they all still have their original brake pipes. I know they aren't corroded because I check them every year as part of my yearly service regime.  MoT testers aren't stupid - they can recognise a well maintained vehicle with or without greased or protected brake pipes, and assess the vehicle accordingly.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2023, 17:18:26 »

Didn't think the pipes looked disguised with grease or rotten tbh.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2023, 18:42:58 »

i must admit all my pipes are greased / oiled even copper ones. not to cover rust either !. i wouls do it on a brand new car if i was keeping it !.
it also makes them undoeable at the unions when you need to replace cylinders or hoses.especially copper pipes whichtend to seize into the nuts .

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2023, 18:46:16 »

also. as regards the idler arm bush.  there have been reports that some ftermarket arms or bushes are loose from the start or dont last long ? ?
if you can find a gm arm, even for another model ( carlton,senator etc) the bush can be swapped into your original arm . should be ok for years then .
BUT also ive seen arms fitted that are loose even when tight because washers have been fitted ( or missed ?) where they shouldnt be.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2023, 19:10:14 »

I had a brand new pattern, idler bush fail the MOT the day it was fitted !
Always gone for genuine after that. Problem now will be finding genuine. Last one I did I removed the bush from a new genuine Senator idler (which is longer) and fitted it to a genuine Omega idler arm which had a worn bush.
Hopefully, that will last the life of the car.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2023, 20:34:49 »

I have a good used idler and centre link if it helps anyone.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2023, 06:40:08 »

All my classic Triumphs have some form of protection on their original steel brake and fuel pipes, with either the original dealer applied underseal which I keep supple with a yearly spray of Bilt Hamber or the like, or a thin film of heavy duty grease - never been an issue or advisory when they used to be MOT'd (now exempt, which is another debateable subject). The longest I've owned one of my current Triumphs is 39 years and they all still have their original brake pipes. I know they aren't corroded because I check them every year as part of my yearly service regime.  MoT testers aren't stupid - they can recognise a well maintained vehicle with or without greased or protected brake pipes, and assess the vehicle accordingly.

I sometimes think MOT testers just tell you things so they can, I've had a guy once say a bearing was knackered, and I said can you show me, he knew I used to work in the trade so had a feel myself for play and noise, there was nothing wrong with it and he passed it.

When I was talking to the tester about I'd just had the coolant all changed and about bleeding the coolant he said oh you shouldn't need to bleed any ecotec they are all self bleeding. ???

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2023, 10:06:54 »

The Omega is self bleeding :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2023, 11:08:46 »

Eventually.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2023, 11:40:00 »

Eventually.
Which is very different to the implication that it isn't that it isn't.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.