Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DSG gearbox  (Read 2588 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
DSG gearbox
« on: 06 June 2023, 15:32:55 »

I have been looking at a selection of Škoda Octavias as a replacement for my astra when the inevitable happens. I want an auto but VAG's DSG box is putting me off.
At the price point I am willing to pay, most of them have done 50-60,000 miles, and I understand the DSG requires a service every 40,000. Would I be stupid to buy one without a documented service history of the box? What are the pitfalls with one that hasn't been done? Thanks.
Diesel till I die

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
Re: DSG gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 06 June 2023, 15:59:18 »

Been impressed with the DSG in her Golf GTI,
Serviced at around 40k now at 66k and always been fine.

If I bought one with no history, and it drove fine, id prob factor in a couple hundred for a gearbox service and hope.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 June 2023, 16:31:13 »

Been impressed with the DSG in her Golf GTI,
Serviced at around 40k now at 66k and always been fine.

If I bought one with no history, and it drove fine, id prob factor in a couple hundred for a gearbox service and hope.
Thanks, Jimbob. Trying to take hope out of the process..
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 June 2023, 17:34:40 »

I thought the new-fangled DSG twin clutch jobbies were going to replace the old torque converter type but it looks like they are popular again, used on a wide range of cars.

Both the ZF 6 speed auto in my desirable Signum and ZF8 speed in my Jaguar XFR were almost without fault. Both TC type.

I hear some of the DSG type of auto tend to become a bit fragile when they get a few miles under their belt. 

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2023, 18:14:27 »

I thought the new-fangled DSG twin clutch jobbies were going to replace the old torque converter type but it looks like they are popular again, used on a wide range of cars.

Both the ZF 6 speed auto in my desirable Signum and ZF8 speed in my Jaguar XFR were almost without fault. Both TC type.

I hear some of the DSG type of auto tend to become a bit fragile when they get a few miles under their belt.
Yes, I remember Mark saying a while back that torque converter boxes were still the most reliable. Mine has done 117,000 miles (so far) without problems.
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 June 2023, 18:30:09 »

Yes, I remember Mark saying a while back that torque converter boxes were still the most reliable. Mine has done 117,000 miles (so far) without problems.
no need to replace the Astra then  >:D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 June 2023, 18:38:25 »

Not yet, Dave, but I'd like to have a clue what I'm looking for when the time comes. Astra could go bang or catastrophically fail an MOT at any time, or it might see me out.  :o
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 June 2023, 19:25:33 »

Not yet, Dave, but I'd like to have a clue what I'm looking for when the time comes. Astra could go bang or catastrophically fail an MOT at any time, or it might see me out.  :o

117,000 miles is nothing for a crude agricultural diesel lump like the one found in your Astra.

Most diesel lumps can easily run to 200,000 miles plus without major problems.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 June 2023, 19:31:57 »

117,000 miles is nothing for a crude agricultural diesel lump like the one found in your Astra.

Most diesel lumps can easily run to 200,000 miles plus without major problems.
Yes, but the thread is about auto boxes.
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 June 2023, 20:04:54 »

We probably haven’t got enough miles on our Audi’s for a long term reliability review but no issues with either of them so far. Mine has had a gearbox service within the last few months at 38K, at a cost of £182 at an Indy garage. Hers has only done 14K so not due yet.
Although we’ve had no issues with the duel clutch gearbox, the ZF8 in our beemer is an excellent gearbox, so smooth at everything requested of it.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 June 2023, 20:29:12 »

We probably haven’t got enough miles on our Audi’s for a long term reliability review but no issues with either of them so far. Mine has had a gearbox service within the last few months at 38K, at a cost of £182 at an Indy garage. Hers has only done 14K so not due yet.
Although we’ve had no issues with the duel clutch gearbox, the ZF8 in our beemer is an excellent gearbox, so smooth at everything requested of it.  :y
£182 is less than I thought  :y
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 June 2023, 20:34:19 »

I've heard from the guy who does the work on my Vectra that the DSG box is fine as long as it's serviced at the correct intervals. The one to steer clear of is the Powershift box on Fords.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 June 2023, 20:43:56 »

Torque converter slush box for me every time  :y
Admittedly it was a while back now, but SWMBO was given a DSG Passat as a courtesy car that I ended up using, I never liked the slow speed engagement while parking etc though I believe there is now a certain amount of 'creep' built into them  :-\

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 June 2023, 21:23:48 »

Thinking back to when my Desmond was written off, i had a Superb as a courtesy car. Nice car but DSG box and auto stop/start made it horrible in traffic. Was glad to get Desmond back.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 June 2023, 22:07:08 »

I'm going off the idea, glad I asked. Question is, why are more modern boxes not as good as torque converter ones  :-\
Diesel till I die
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.