Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A few photos of my uni project  (Read 3602 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
A few photos of my uni project
« on: 11 March 2007, 20:35:38 »

This is my final year project for the course i am on (Multimedia Technology & Design Bsc)

I am making an interactive tool for mobiles, designed for theme parks but can have other uses (conference centres ect)

Its main ideas are to give Ride Queue times for any ride in the park at any time from a live data souce (eg your in Alton Towers its a 3 hour walk to the next ride, wanna see if its worth it or go to a local ride) It will also give news (again live data source), show videos and info on the rides.

For more techincal people the sources are actually xml files stored on my web server.. the application itself is made using Flash 8 Pro exported as Flash Lite 2.1

Ride Queue time source - http://www.tunnie.co.uk/thorpepark/extremeq.txt
News source - http://tunnie.co.uk/thorpepark/rss.txt

If you think its crap or see possible problems let me know....

Now i know all phones won't have the features mine does, this is intended as a "future" model, also currently i have created a custom website the phone can read to host videos, Flash Lite 3 will support video streaming but its not out yet  :'(

Photos:

The welcome screen....

Menu System....

Accessing ride queue times, phone prompts for WAP / WiFi connection....

MMS (multimedia service) is chosen to download data....

Queue time screen (there are others different type rides) data is being downloaded, status bar at top (Orange blocks) ...

Data is downloaded, numbers now show times.....

Ride info on Nemesis, bottom images link to a custom website with Videos on. (Flash Lite 3 will support video steaming)

Custom website full of videos....

Phone real player is loaded....

Movie is played....

« Last Edit: 11 March 2007, 20:37:01 by tunnie »

Taxi_Driver

Re: A few photos of my uni project
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2007, 20:53:14 »

Looks very impressive Tunnie  :)

Well done m8  :y

STMO123

« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2007, 21:14:35 »

Who's a clever lad? Nice one Mark :y

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2007, 21:49:41 »

This is my final year project for the course i am on (Multimedia Technology & Design Bsc)

I am making an interactive tool for mobiles, designed for theme parks but can have other uses (conference centres ect)

Its main ideas are to give Ride Queue times for any ride in the park at any time from a live data souce (eg your in Alton Towers its a 3 hour walk to the next ride, wanna see if its worth it or go to a local ride) It will also give news (again live data source), show videos and info on the rides.

For more techincal people the sources are actually xml files stored on my web server.. the application itself is made using Flash 8 Pro exported as Flash Lite 2.1

Ride Queue time source - http://www.tunnie.co.uk/thorpepark/extremeq.txt
News source - http://tunnie.co.uk/thorpepark/rss.txt

If you think its crap or see possible problems let me know....

Now i know all phones won't have the features mine does, this is intended as a "future" model, also currently i have created a custom website the phone can read to host videos, Flash Lite 3 will support video streaming but its not out yet  :'(

Photos:

The welcome screen....

Menu System....

Accessing ride queue times, phone prompts for WAP / WiFi connection....

MMS (multimedia service) is chosen to download data....

Queue time screen (there are others different type rides) data is being downloaded, status bar at top (Orange blocks) ...

Data is downloaded, numbers now show times.....

Ride info on Nemesis, bottom images link to a custom website with Videos on. (Flash Lite 3 will support video steaming)

Custom website full of videos....

Phone real player is loaded....

Movie is played....

I hope the project is a success. word of advice try to finish all your major work at least 5 weeks before the deadline so that you have eough time to write it all up.
I have to decide what project to take on for my MSc at the moment and i'm not looking forward to it at all.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2007, 21:56:51 »

cheers, the dead line is in 19 days!  ::)

The application is 95% finished, speaking with some people now on deployment.

Should be, text a short code number say 82125 with the word "thorpe" and some handset detection will take place, work out if it can run the app, if so wap push it down, if not wap push flash install or a message saying "sorry not compatible" ect.

Already started the documentation, done about 68 pages of it so far its slowly getting there. I shall be making it interesting, converting the Microsoft Word documents into Flash Paper then embed them on a website dedicated to the documentation.

Be glad when its all done and I can cruise Europe.

Cheers for the comments guys  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2007, 22:16:32 »

Looks very impressive indeed. I develop software to test mobile phones, normally at the air interface but I now know who to ask when I need to generate something to exercise the application layers ;)

Been working on A-GPS recently. That would be a nice addition to tell the user "...and the ride's 500 metres over there ---->". If only more mobiles supported it!

There's an awful lot of potential in mobile phones these days but no-one developing applications like this to show them off, or so it seems.

Good luck with the rest of the project. I know documenting it all after having fun developing it is a real PITA :(

You can treat yourself to some autobahnstorming in the Senator when it's done :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 March 2007, 22:22:38 »

God i am looking forward to that, not a care in the world nothing to do but drive fast huge 6 pot car  :D

Then drink large amounts of booze and try it on with ladies who probably don't speak english... (well there is a bonus)  ;D ;D

Cheers Kevin, may just add A-GPS to my research now  ;)

I did document loads, and loads of concepts i had for it, including a GPS with a Google Maps API layover for the theme park to see where people are and "control flow" ie txt that bunch of people to say look there is no one queing for that ride over there!!

Also documented NFC technology (Oyster Cards) as my Nokia N80 has NFC and use it as a possible virtual wallet in the park. Also txt ride photos to the phone, book fast track tickets and display them on your phone plans for school groups be at this location at this time and so on.

So, so SOOO much to document doing my head in....

Roll on Europe in the Senator  :D

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2007, 22:24:03 »

Good stuff Tunnie, looks impressive and it no doubt is....

From a user perspective, I know of a load of teenage Scout age users who are very much mobile savvy who would gladly leap at the opportunity to get to the front of the queue where possible by whatever means available.  Well done.   :y

Hope it gets you you the points you need.   :y

B    

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 March 2007, 23:55:18 »

Wow. Looks like a clever idea well done...  :y
Alas, no more Omegas....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 March 2007, 10:03:39 »

cheers guys, it amazes me how little development there is out there with mobiles. A few caught my eye was this one:

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/content.php?nID=165

Offered by Chiltern Trains, you can buy you ticket online and it sends a barcode to your mobile, thats then used as your ticket which is quite cool. A few similar systems with car parks and other bits but not much out there!

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 March 2007, 11:17:04 »

Looking good.  A very neat idea and a cleaver implementation.  Good luck with the finish off and I hope that you get a decent grade - you certainly deserve it!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 March 2007, 11:20:24 »

Remember that top marks come for highlighting problems and ways you would do things differently in the future........also detailed research info is critical....

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 March 2007, 12:07:42 »

Remember that top marks come for highlighting problems and ways you would do things differently in the future........also detailed research info is critical....

Approx 45+ pages are of research, looking into various current applications and proving some of my concepts can be done, hence talking about Chiltern Railways system.

As for marks your certainly right:

33% of my final year is this project

20% of the 33% goes on Monthly Reports (progress forms detailing what was done each month) Just handed in the last one, and he said i got a A for them  :D

10% went on my Interim Presentation, i gave a demo of an early build. Again got an A (in top 4 of a class of 60+)

10% is on my Final presentation (yet to give)

So 60% is left.... 40% is on documentation and only 20% is on the finished working program!!

Making my documentation interesting, Word Docs converted to flash paper, move clips of the program running and using a desktop capture program + a mic to describe what goes on in the background code  :D
« Last Edit: 12 March 2007, 12:08:07 by tunnie »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2007, 12:13:07 »

Word Docs converted to flash paper

Cor! in my day we just bashed all the text into Word (can't remember if it was DOS. Might just have had Windoze 3.1 by my 3rd year <shudder>).

Then off to Argos, buy a printer, run off a few thousand pages of various peoples theses, take it back within 14 days and say you didn't like it ;-)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2007, 12:18:44 »

Tell you what Tunnie it does look the Dogs :y
How did you come up with that idea?
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.