Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: No milk float this  (Read 7730 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: No milk float this
« Reply #15 on: 03 September 2019, 12:53:19 »

I've looked at buying a Tesla model 3 performance.

The thing that puts me off is that it's an appliance more than it is a car. Yes, it will be nippy but it is without soul. I don't mind my microwave having no soul The same goes for my electric tin opener. I struggle when it comes to a car. :-\

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 September 2019, 13:00:57 »

The thing that puts me off is that it's an appliance more than it is a car. Yes, it will be nippy but it is without soul. I don't mind my microwave having no soul The same goes for my electric tin opener. I struggle when it comes to a car. :-\

Cars are an appliance. We've become so used to them that we have to make up reasons to like spending so much money on them. What you call 'soul' is caused by some major deficiencies in the underlying engineering: noise and vibration. Getting rid of those is one of the better reasons for switching to EVs.

If you frequently do journeys of more than 250(aprox) miles at a time, then an EV probably isn't the best choice. But the occasional trip is doable with some planning. As Jimmy said, that's time that you've gained from other places.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 September 2019, 13:07:53 »

Cars are an appliance. We've become so used to them that we have to make up reasons to like spending so much money on them. What you call 'soul' is caused by some major deficiencies in the underlying engineering: noise and vibration. Getting rid of those is one of the better reasons for switching to EVs.

If you frequently do journeys of more than 250(aprox) miles at a time, then an EV probably isn't the best choice. But the occasional trip is doable with some planning. As Jimmy said, that's time that you've gained from other places.

From an objective point of view you may be correct regarding 'soul and character'

I suppose the old steam trains had soul and character. I assume the flaws and faults I call soul are not needed in the modern world......  but they make me feel good. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 September 2019, 13:14:43 »

From an objective point of view you may be correct regarding 'soul and character'

I suppose the old steam trains had soul and character. I assume the flaws and faults I call soul are not needed in the modern world......  but they make me feel good. :y

Character, yes that's the appalling inefficiency of a steam engine -  a very low single number that makes the pathetic 20%ish that I/C engines manage look impressive.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 September 2019, 13:30:49 »

Yep, this is what I keep saying. In a couple of weeks I've got a similar trip to do - with a 1500 kg glider trailer on the back.

Have they made a leccy car that's even capable of towing yet? None of the hybrids I considered are (people who tow buy chelsea tractors these days, apparently. Not me!). ::)

Tesla Model X SUV.  :y  It has a decent kerb weight as well, but is quite expensive.  :)  Hauling a van/trailer about would seriously hit the range, although it still pulls like a train with a van on the back apparently.  :y
Not to mention the £130k price tag :o

Pretty comparable to a similarly specced and performant RRS/FF RR/Cayenne/etc, though, I imagine..

Much more than in reality, there are not that many comfort options on the Teslas and the audio systems are very poor for segment

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 September 2019, 13:43:29 »

Character, yes that's the appalling inefficiency of a steam engine -  a very low single number that makes the pathetic 20%ish that I/C engines manage look impressive.

Ah yes.....but what about the sound, the smell, the visual drama of a steam train. :y

What about sex on the London- Scotland sleeper. ;)

Besides......if Lizzie learns you are running down steam trains she'll be slipping a noose around your neck. ::) ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 September 2019, 13:55:07 »

Ah yes.....but what about the sound, the smell, the visual drama of a steam train. :y

Besides......if Lizzie learns you are running down steam trains she'll be slipping a noose around your neck. ::) ;)

Sound - it's waste noise.
Smell - missed that first time around, would you go around sniffing horse shit?
Visual drama - oooh get you :-*

sex on the Scottish sleeper is like sex after oysters: it's to take your mind off where you're going/just eaten.

I didn't mention trains, you did.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03 September 2019, 13:58:23 »

Sound - it's waste noise.
Smell - missed that first time around, would you go around sniffing horse shit?
Visual drama - oooh get you
:-*

sex on the Scottish sleeper is like sex after oysters: it's to take your mind off where you're going/just eaten.

I didn't mention trains, you did.

I get the feeling you are a 'head over heart' type of guy. :) ;).....a pragmatist. :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 September 2019, 14:30:48 »

Ah, yes, the great Chief Mechanical Engineers, like Churchwood, Collett, Stanier, Gresley, Bullied, Riddles, all spent their lives upping the limits of performance, constantly working on new designs, methods, and manufacture of the basic form which came from the Rocket. Good Welsh steam coal also had it's effect, as opposed to some awful stuff the railways had to put up with, that then initiated another drive to improve the engine itself.

Nothing though could match or exceed the performance, ease of maintenance, and pure comfort for the crews, of the diesels then electrics. ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 September 2019, 14:34:44 »

No I will not as nothing can argue that the steam ENGINES (not trains! ::) ::) :P) had their time, but now the electric train must rule as it is so much more advanced, and besides the modern snowflakes would never work on the footplate of a steam loco on a hot summers day, let alone any other time of our British seasons!  I can say I have for a period of time and actually felt what it was like - beautiful, wonderfull, touching history, but very hot, very dirty and dangerous!! :o :o :D :D ;)

Now, shall I mention HS2 - oh dear I just have!! :P :P :-X :-X ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 03 September 2019, 14:38:08 by Lizzie Zoom »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 September 2019, 14:39:00 »

Ah....Steam engine not steam train.

I hang my head in shame, Lizzie. ;) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 September 2019, 14:45:04 »

Ah....Steam engine not steam train.

I hang my head in shame, Lizzie. ;) :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

;D ;D ;D :-* :-* ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 September 2019, 15:07:13 »

Love the design of this. Not around for long though.

https://youtu.be/D3bj47TAYiU

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 September 2019, 16:23:16 »

Ah, the Deltic, Class 55, of engines that were powered by this 18 cylinder (won't fit an Omega!! ::) ::) :'() beauty are, thank goodness, still with us in preservation 8) 8) :y

Their sound is so unforgettable, radiating what was then, the extreme power of a diesel loco. :-* :-* :-*

The sound of one remaining class of diesel that I know of (diesel enthusiasts will no doubt correct!) the Class 37 comes close to THAT sound, as I have been fortunate enough to here in Ashford as two of them haul one special wagon holding a nuclear waste flask powering through from Dungeness. You can hear the sound right across town, although it is some time since I last heard them :(

Now I must behave;  I really love steam engines more, but................ ;D ;D ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 September 2019, 16:40:15 »

Ah, the Deltic, Class 55, of engines that were powered by this 18 cylinder (won't fit an Omega!! ::) ::) :'() beauty are, thank goodness, still with us in preservation 8) 8) :y

Their sound is so unforgettable, radiating what was then, the extreme power of a diesel loco. :-* :-* :-*

The sound of one remaining class of diesel that I know of (diesel enthusiasts will no doubt correct!) the Class 37 comes close to THAT sound, as I have been fortunate enough to here in Ashford as two of them haul one special wagon holding a nuclear waste flask powering through from Dungeness. You can hear the sound right across town, although it is some time since I last heard them :(

Now I must behave;  I really love steam engines more, but................ ;D ;D ;)

Is that 18 or 36 cylinder?.......as the Deltic has 2 pistons sharing each bore. Weird. And it's a 2 stroke. :o
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.