Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing rear pads but can't get them to slid in  (Read 1412 times)

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
Replacing rear pads but can't get them to slid in
« on: 30 July 2014, 07:16:33 »

Hi folks

Nasty grating noise the other day was a rear pad down to the metal. In fact that pad was the only one doing the braking by the look of it as the other side seemed to have got stuck. It was a real job getting the old pads out, if fact I had to destroy them. Put some new discs on (Pagid) but when I tried to put the new (Pagid) pads in they just wouldn't go. The bottom of the caliper was quite badly corroded but I had to file down beyond clean metal top and bottom to get the pads to go in nicely. I am thinking this is why the old pads where so hard to get out, previous owner had forced them in?
Anybody else had these kind of issues? The pagid pads seemed to be exactly the same size as the old ones.
Only one side done at the moment. More filing to do the other side tonight I guess.

Thanks

mickyboy123

• Intermediate Member
  • brighton
  • hi
    • 2.2 cd omega.petrol auto
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing rear pads but can't get them to slid in
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2014, 07:23:51 »

hi matey. i just had new pagid rear discs and pads fitted to mine by the kind gent taxi al. on here. with no problems at all my thinking is you got other problems there. he would be the guy to ask .

mickyboy123

• Intermediate Member
  • brighton
  • hi
    • 2.2 cd omega.petrol auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2014, 07:28:03 »

you certainly shouldnt have to be doin that to them and i would have my douts as to how well they would work . as its a moving part. 8)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2014, 08:43:09 »

I fitted Pagit and had a lot of knocking and pulling to get the old pads out and as you said one side looked unworn obviously seized. I cleaned everything up and the new pads were tight but a small amount of filing and they went in ok dont forget the copper slip on contact surfaces.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2014, 08:52:37 »

You really shouldn't be having to file anything to get the pads to fit.

Id be concentrating on getting the calipers to free up first before even contemplating installing new pads or even driving the car....

The caliper pistons should easily be moved back into the caliper itself without any problems, if they dont move they will need rebuilding and making good before re-installing back onto the car.

No filing or forcing should be involved - at all....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2014, 09:27:58 »

Often on buying a used Omega I find the rear pads stuck in and hard to remove. I then find that mere wire brushing the caliper top and bottom does not allow me to insert new pads so I have to resort to filing. I reckon some of those pads were original and have been in 12 or so yeara, hence the rust. The miracle is that the pistons usually push meekly back into the cylinders.

I see no harm filing the rust down. The alternative is changing the caliper.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2014, 09:36:42 »

With terry on this.

When i replaced mine the new ones would never go in unless i filed the rust down. trust me theres loads of corrosion in there (as you also see in front brakes also).

thing with the omega rear caliper is that its tight in there. as long as you avoid ripping the piston dust boot you will NEED to file the crud away.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

flyer 0712

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2014, 14:34:18 »

Do not see any harm in filing the rust/crap from the sides of the caliper..over the years have had to do it on many occasions as where the pads slide in get full of water and crap that turns to rusty,flaky,crap that needs to be removed to allow the pads to operate properly...no problem as far as i am concerned  8)

omega3000

« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2014, 15:32:45 »

I fitted Pagit and had a lot of knocking and pulling to get the old pads out and as you said one side looked unworn obviously seized. I cleaned everything up and the new pads were tight but a small amount of filing and they went in ok dont forget the copper slip on contact surfaces.

Thats right  :y Dont tell that ropeman though  ::) ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2014, 15:46:54 »

The design of the rear calipers allows a small hollow above and below the piston, a side effect of the manufacturing process I suspect... This allows crud to collect, and overtime cause corrosion... This flakes up and if left unaddressed will cause the pads to stick, leading to uneven wear. This is down to lazy people not cleaning the calipers during previous pad changes...

Should only need five minutes attention with a stout flat bladed screwdriver, a small wire brush and some brake cleaner :y

The object being simply to knock off the flaky crud. The pads should then drop straight in, with a dab of copperslip top and bottom and on the backing plates :y

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2014, 18:07:21 »

Thanks for all your comments which have put my mind to rest. Yep, the pistons are pushing back in okay which as you say is amazing after 12 years. Am using a bit of copper slip as suggested.  :) :y

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2014, 23:40:52 »

I've used one of these implements to remove stuck/tight pads:

Slide-hammer action ain't failed me ... yet! ;)
« Last Edit: 30 July 2014, 23:42:29 by Seth »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2014, 00:21:33 »

Here's a better view:

Sealey AK712 - available for upwards of a tenner. Just shop around! :y
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.