Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rough running v6  (Read 872 times)

paul_cooper

• spalding,lincs
    • View Profile
rough running v6
« on: 08 October 2007, 00:23:30 »

hi,can anyone help,i have  a p-plate omega 2.5 estate driving along the other day and all of a sudden started getting a large vibration through out the car and started running like a pig.seemed to be a big misfire,checked out plugs and leads ,all 3 plug wells on n/s bank full of oil,so cleared breathers out replaced cam cover gaskets,plugs and plug leads.
still as bad as before,paper clipped it and it is showing 57 (idle control valve) and 73 (air flow meter) any help would be great i'm ment to be going on holiday  next friday,many thanks...paul
« Last Edit: 08 October 2007, 01:42:28 by paul_cooper »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: rough running v6
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2007, 06:09:47 »

hi,can anyone help,i have  a p-plate omega 2.5 estate driving along the other day and all of a sudden started getting a large vibration through out the car and started running like a pig.seemed to be a big misfire,checked out plugs and leads ,all 3 plug wells on n/s bank full of oil,so cleared breathers out replaced cam cover gaskets,plugs and plug leads.
still as bad as before,paper clipped it and it is showing 57 (idle control valve) and 73 (air flow meter) any help would be great i'm ment to be going on holiday  next friday,many thanks...paul

Well, the ICV doesn't do a lot when the throttle is open, so shouldn't cause much of a misfire when you're running.

Check the resistence on the HT leads, possibly the oil has killed one or more.

Check your spark plugs too if you haven't already

Also, the coil pack MAY have failed, and the rockers leaking just a co-incidence..

If that little lot doesn't identify/resolve the problem, do a compression test.

When was the cambelt kit last changed?

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2007, 08:21:12 »

Being that you have replaced the plugs and leads and its still as bad, then i would suggest looking at the coil pack as James has said. It's just behind the pass side bank, you will need to remove the scuttle to gain access.
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

paul_cooper

• spalding,lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2007, 09:14:11 »

thanks for that i will try coil pack next could anyone tell me if any special tools are required apart from triple jointed fingers that are 2 foot long.many thanks....paul.

p.s. the cambelt was changed just before i bought it nearly 3 years ago (got receipt for it and the tensioners were changed as well)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2007, 10:00:08 »

thanks for that i will try coil pack next could anyone tell me if any special tools are required apart from triple jointed fingers that are 2 foot long.many thanks....paul.

p.s. the cambelt was changed just before i bought it nearly 3 years ago (got receipt for it and the tensioners were changed as well)
Remember the cambelt is 40k/4yrs max.
Grumpy old man

paul_cooper

• spalding,lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2007, 13:02:18 »

hi,i forgot to say the exhaust has a blow on back box is this likley to have any bearing on how it is running should i replace it before the hassle of changing the dis pack!!!!!,thanks.....paul

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2007, 14:31:25 »

hi,i forgot to say the exhaust has a blow on back box is this likley to have any bearing on how it is running should i replace it before the hassle of changing the dis pack!!!!!,thanks.....paul

blow on the back box will not cause vibration in the engine..Mine was same before.When changed with a new vx one only effect the sound..There may be other problems.But dont go trial error route..

ps: if you are new to those engines and your mechanic knowledge is limited..Find someone from the group and try the other omegas MAF sensor on yours..
« Last Edit: 08 October 2007, 14:34:13 by cem_devecioglu »

paul_cooper

• spalding,lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2007, 19:29:51 »

got exhaust coming tomorrow its knackered anyway!!! and new dis pack (only took 90 mins to get it out hope it goes back as easy)also great pics of vaccum pipe positions got a feeling i might be needing them! great site thanks.....paul

paul_cooper

• spalding,lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2007, 00:59:37 »

could anyone tell me if running engine with air box lid and air filter removed could be the reason that when paper clipped it was showing 57 air flow sensor(worth a try),thanks....paul

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2007, 08:26:23 »

no...try checking the MAF socket may be you have disturbed

paul_cooper

• spalding,lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2007, 19:41:40 »

hi,firstly a THANK YOU you to everyone who helped me out. I changed dis pack today running like a dream again.
when i was checking that i had put everything back where it belongs(with engine running), i put my hand on the pos batt terminal and it was really hot,this isnt normal is it ???
the part that was hot is the thick cable running into the timming belt cover then on down to the alternator and starter,i felt the cables at the back of the starter and alternator they wernt hot (only getting hot with engine running) any ideas anyone please,thanks.....paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.