Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad Parking  (Read 10207 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Parking
« Reply #75 on: 27 March 2021, 09:51:35 »

We were in and out in a day and that was enough. Coach to the pyramids / sphinx / Cairo museum to see Tuts treasures, and then back on the boat to Cyprus.
A day I wont forget for many reasons (especially the heat !  :o) but no way in the world would I want to spend any time there.
It seemed to be a filthy stinking hole for the most part, with each local having a slightly different con to try and relieve you off your cash and valuables.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 27 March 2021, 10:12:49 »

We were in and out in a day and that was enough. Coach to the pyramids / sphinx / Cairo museum to see Tuts treasures, and then back on the boat to Cyprus.
A day I wont forget for many reasons (especially the heat !  :o) but no way in the world would I want to spend any time there.
It seemed to be a filthy stinking hole for the most part, with each local having a slightly different con to try and relieve you off your cash and valuables.

You're not wrong there my wife's brother who worked in Egypt died over there 2 years ago this week took ages to get his body back because we wouldn't pay extortionate amounts of cash to officials who were " well connected" their words  not mine got his remains back in July, which I had to try & identify which was impossible so had to result in dental records.Vowed never to visit the place.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 27 March 2021, 11:15:42 »

We did the whole Luxor to Aswan and back again, on the Nile.  A shithole, but we had to do it as she has a fascination with ancient Egypt.

I remember the heat, the smell of Aswan (neat Benzine from the petrol), and having to lock ourselves in a McDonalds in Luxor until the police arrived.

We never carried cash in hands, bags or pockets, nor wore valuables, as you were guaranteed to lose it.  A country with such riches should not have so many poor....    ...but to quote our (Muslim) tour guide, that was the trouble with their form of Islam - endemic laziness and corruption.  And also the reason the boat only employed staff from sub sahara Africa.

But more pleasnt memories include some of the temples, and the west bank of the Nile including the Valley of the Kings.  We also did a baloon trip as dawn broke over the west bank that was epic.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27 March 2021, 12:15:16 »

It's happened again  :o

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 27 March 2021, 12:32:46 »

Shove the tiller over to the right and give it some beans ahead. It'll be on tother side of the channel before the person on the bank gets back on ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 27 March 2021, 19:52:45 »

I remember the heat, the smell of Aswan ....

I'd imagine it's similar to Karachi  .... all sorts floated down the river while we were parked up there ....  ???

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 27 March 2021, 19:55:44 »

Saw kids playing in the edges of the Nile, while a dead Donkey floated past.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 27 March 2021, 21:05:06 »

With all these row-boats being unable to make their destination.......... who's actually paying for it?

Logically, I'm thinking the Ever Given would be insured against late port-fee's, delayed goods, perished goods etc, as it's technically had an accident..... it cannot physically move.

What about all the others?  Claim from Evergreen's insurance?  Furthermore, do the Egyptian Government have a claim?

I suspect many of us have goods waiting in containers on those ships.... apart from getting a refund on the delivery charge, what recourse is there for the humble end-user?
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 27 March 2021, 21:23:59 »

With all these row-boats being unable to make their destination.......... who's actually paying for it?

Logically, I'm thinking the Ever Given would be insured against late port-fee's, delayed goods, perished goods etc, as it's technically had an accident..... it cannot physically move.

What about all the others?  Claim from Evergreen's insurance?  Furthermore, do the Egyptian Government have a claim?

I suspect many of us have goods waiting in containers on those ships.... apart from getting a refund on the delivery charge, what recourse is there for the humble end-user?

Dunno..  :-\

But tell you what?  I'm off out to stock up on bog roll tomorrow!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 27 March 2021, 22:05:12 »

Dunno..  :-\

But tell you what?  I'm off out to stock up on bog roll tomorrow!  ;D

Bog roll(and lots of other paper products) is made from timber from the managed forests that cover northern Europe. The reason why there was a scare for it last year started in Australia, which doesn't have a softwood industry and it's all imported.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 27 March 2021, 22:12:56 »

It's in their interests to get it cleared as presumably they can only charge for ships that actually get through the canal...

Imagine abandoning an artic across the Dartford Crossing tolls... They'd have it moved before lunch ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 27 March 2021, 22:25:20 »

It's in their interests to get it cleared as presumably they can only charge for ships that actually get through the canal...

Imagine abandoning an artic across the Dartford Crossing tolls... They'd have it moved before lunch ;D

I'll guess that the shipping companies pre-pay for transit through the canal.  Even if that's a few tens of thousands of pounds, it will be refunded as the ship was unable to pass (much like buying an airline ticket, but the runway is unusable).

That's just a drop in the ocean... what about all the goods, the port fee's, the fuel costs, the staff wages?
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 27 March 2021, 22:50:29 »

I'll guess that the shipping companies pre-pay for transit through the canal.  Even if that's a few tens of thousands of pounds, it will be refunded as the ship was unable to pass (much like buying an airline ticket, but the runway is unusable).

That's just a drop in the ocean... what about all the goods, the port fee's, the fuel costs, the staff wages?

also modern shipping is run to very tight schedules, so there will be a number of ships that will miss their booked slots at various ports throughout the word. You can't just unload a fully loaded ship. The knock-on effects of this will continue for months.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 27 March 2021, 22:59:08 »

Refunded? Probably just a voucher valid for twelve months on any Suez Canal trip with a ten thousand shekel admin fee.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 27 March 2021, 23:35:55 »

"Bet you cant do a U turn in the middle of the Suez canal."
"Hold my pint."

;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.