Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarm fault Omega Estate 2.2  (Read 5566 times)

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
Re: Alarm fault Omega Estate 2.2
« Reply #15 on: 24 February 2008, 19:21:34 »

OK…update on the tailgate switch.
After I disconnected it I had no more alarms yesterday or through the night. :)
Took it for a run today, parked up, no alarms for 1 hour or so, went back to the car, unlocked, then locked it, 5mins later ….you guessed…the alarm went off. :'(
Since then I have ad 2 other runs and she has now been parked up for 2 hours with no false alarms. :o
So it is a bit unsure at the moment. :-/
I will update as this unfolds.
A friend of mine recons it could be an ECU problem because all the alarms on the Omegas are linked through it….any thoughts on that?

Debs.

« Reply #16 on: 24 February 2008, 20:46:07 »

Your friend may know more than I do about any ECU/alarm linkage situation.....but, my money`s still on a Power Sounder fault.....`had it twice on two different cars (with slightly different symptoms/false-alarm circumstances).  ;)

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 February 2008, 20:52:58 »

Well 3.5 hrs since it was locked...and it has just gone off :'(

So i am going to be going in to the power sounder soon.

Debs, this powersounder, can i remove it?
Can it be opened and the batteries replaced? :question

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 February 2008, 20:55:06 »

Powersounder is sealed but can be cut open. Probably not worth it though as batteries are hard to obtain.

Also, the Batteries tend to leak over the circuit board rendering it beyond economic repair.
« Last Edit: 24 February 2008, 20:56:27 by VXL_V6 »

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 February 2008, 21:01:30 »

What sort of batteries are they?

Debs.

« Reply #20 on: 24 February 2008, 21:13:24 »

Yes you may remove it completely.....its a black moulded plastic 'box' (approx 75mm x 75 mm x 90 mm) with a wiring socket on the back face and a sound outlet-horn on the opposite face.

The NiCad batts. are moulded into the rubbery-plastic resin of the body side; on mine in fact they were clearly visible (as normal 'AA' rechargables; the sort with solder tags on each end) within the moulded resin, as they were very-near the surface.

I too thought about digging in there to try and extract/swap the batteries....but the way they`re moulded-into semi-hard resin didn`t inspire confidence of success.

I was quoted £125. for a 'New' Vx Power Sounder.....a scrapper might be as bad as a faulty-one I thought.....hence my Omega now has it removed for good.

BEFORE disconnecting the Power Sounder from the loom you MUST observe the proceedure: ignition-on, then ignition-off, then disconnect the +ve. battery terminal within 15 seconds.....`gotta be quick, so I (slightly) loosened the +ve. terminal bolt first, to make it a faster job.

I also removed the metal-bracketed alarm sounder for good measure; that`s mounted right next to the power sounder.

You`ll need to re-enter the code your radio afterwards when you reconnect, so make certain you have the Carpass radio number if it`s a factory head-unit.

I got revenge on the Power Sounder; `blinkin thing tried to have the last word and 'went off' in my hand as I carried it to the workshop.....so to shut it up I dropped it in a bucket of water!.....peace and quiet; `sorted!  :y

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2008, 21:24:16 »

Debs...your a star!
I will be in there tomorrow all being well.

Nicads I have no trouble getting them, try a model shop, not a toyshop.
They have hundreds of types with different capacities and reasonably cheap.

I have just been looking around and found this on a website.

Quote.
Power Sounder (next to Wiper mechanism / under scuttle plate:- Most/all? fiitted with a GM unit (pcb and batteries in a 'potting' compound) - it's 'naff'. The water drain conveniently located directly over the rear of the unit and the connector. The potting seal 'cracks' over period of time, and does an excellent job of retaining ingressed water. Remove and silicone it before it goes into 'when i feel like it - I'm gonna go off - day or night' mode. Fit a cut up coke bottle bottom over top of unit as a water deflector. Other models fitted with a Bosch unit - fails as well due to overheating batteries causing track & solder pad failure - can at least be repaired - will last forever if batteries raised away from pcb & airvents
drilled (fit the coke bottle)."

Link to website.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=437

Debs.

« Reply #22 on: 25 February 2008, 07:40:47 »

Great work finding that link GrayUK: that`s a good plan for a fix!....I hadn`t thought of a Model Shop supply for NiCads; they`d be for R/C model use perhaps? :y

Just also wanted to mention the high sound-pressure level the power sounder can make; and your ears are going to be very close to it when reaching in doing this job....be careful, as permanent hearing damage is a possibility should it go off then.  :o

Good luck with the job, `let us know how you get along.  ;)
« Last Edit: 25 February 2008, 07:42:12 by Debs. »

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 February 2008, 15:10:59 »

Debs
The unit is out, had to take the wiper arm off to do it.

It is the Black Bosch unit.
1st inspection it looks fine, no sign of any cracks or water ingress.
I cannot see through the material unfortunately. :(

I have left the other alarm sounder in place; I assume this is the normal alarm? If so then if the alarm goes off again I will know it is not the power sounder. (Please let me know if what I just said is right!). ::)
I am leaving it for half an hour before reconnecting the battery, I am told this clears the fault memory in the ECU.

Debs.

« Reply #24 on: 25 February 2008, 15:35:57 »

Yes, that sounds like a good way of identifying whether it was a Power Sounder or 'other' alarm fault.

I didn`t leave my (ordinary) alarm-sounder connected, so I can`t even say what sound that makes, for it was the power sounder that seemed to be making all the racket.  :o

The power sounder concept (I think) is purely to make a noise if a determined thief cuts the battery power to the alarm.....but time and time again I`ve seen people not even react when a car alarm sounds in a public place, so in the greater scheme of things I think alarms are often more of a nuisance than a (real) security aid.....especially when they 'false'.  :-[

I witnessed a car being broken into once; brick through window, `head-unit and briefcase out and scum-bag `away like a scalded-Gazelle; in a matter of only seconds....the blaring alarm-siren didn`t save anything.  :o

Anyway, let`s hope you`ve had your last 'false alarm' GrayUK  :y

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 February 2008, 16:00:21 »

Yes I think you are right about the power sounders function.
Well, I have taken it out for a drive and it is locked/alarmed...all quiet so far.... ::)
I will keep you updated; if the problem does turn out to be the power sounder then I will cut open the Bosch and see if I can change the batteries.

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 February 2008, 20:18:01 »

4.25 hrs and still quiet...... :o

Debs.

« Reply #27 on: 25 February 2008, 20:23:59 »

;D Don`t speak too soon; it may be waiting `till you go to bed!  ;)

bigall

• merseyside
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 February 2008, 20:27:14 »

Power sounder - designed by GM to extract more money from Omega owners
I drive a moneypit Omega - at least its comfortable!!!!!  200k approaching rapidly!!!!!!!!! "") (must change oil soon)

GrayUK

• Dunstable
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 February 2008, 20:27:33 »

Please   NO....... :'(
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.