Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vapour trail question  (Read 1650 times)

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
Vapour trail question
« on: 31 July 2016, 17:45:32 »

standing outside earlier this afternoon, clear blue sky and settled upper atmosphere noticed lots of vapour trails for aircraft. Then I spotted a jet liner leaving no trail at all it passed overhead and after several miles it omitted  a very short trial compared to the other aircraft.  Got me thinking why  :-\ anyone enlighten me please?
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

aaronjb

Re: Vapour trail question
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2016, 19:16:37 »

They only leave trails when the gubmint is poisoning us - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail_conspiracy_theory

(Or, they only leave contrails when there is enough water vapour in the air at that point to condense)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2016, 00:14:51 »

Went on a short break to Jersey a few years ago. Never seen so many contrails in my life. Must be on a lot of world routes. :-\

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2016, 23:51:36 »

'Went on a short break to Jersey a few years ago. Never seen so many contrails in my life. Must be on a lot of world routes.' :-\

A lot of aircraft going south use a beacon called ORTAC. This is one of the main beacons for flying south and heading north towards the UK. Jersey flights use this beacon, along with SKERY approaching from the NE. It is where Jersey Zone takes over from London Ctrl, also you enter French airspace (Brest).
 Hence you will see a lot of traffic in these areas :y
If you want contrails...come and live here.....we are a few miles from Bovingdon beacon, which, again is a main beacon for approach and departure for HR. Also transition aircraft use this beacon hence the many contrails we see on a day with the right conditions.
Slightly off topic, but reference a thread regarding aircraft....my house is a perfect gem for Flight Radar24.
A plane spotters gem, here. Low stuff in and out of HR plus transitions, also Luton approach and departure, and a number of local airfields, and as said previously, contrail heaven :y
« Last Edit: 02 August 2016, 00:00:41 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 August 2016, 00:02:06 »

Thanks for the info terbert :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 August 2016, 00:14:04 »

You are welcome, Ronny. Although I should have said NW for SKERY, not NE. Just checked my charts for Jersey Zone, and realised my geography was a**e about face :( ;D :y
Good job I am a virtual pilot, not a real one ;D ;D
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 August 2016, 09:34:39 »

Here is a site that allows you to see the airways network worldwide :

https://skyvector.com/

Click on the "World Hi" button, and then zoom in on the are of interest. ORTAC and SALCO are the common French/UK airspace crossing points, but there are others. The EGD areas are military danger areas which means not much overflies them, so the civilian traffic gets funnelled into thin strips of airspace between them, hence the concentration of chemtrails ;D.

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 August 2016, 10:27:05 »

standing outside earlier this afternoon, clear blue sky and settled upper atmosphere noticed lots of vapour trails for aircraft. Then I spotted a jet liner leaving no trail at all it passed overhead and after several miles it omitted  a very short trial compared to the other aircraft.  Got me thinking why  :-\ anyone enlighten me please?

As vapour trails are caused by the hot engine gases condensing water in the atmosphere, the amount of vapour is dependent upon the relative humidity of the air mass though which the plane is passing. This varies not only with over climatic conditions, but also altitude with different layers having different "dew points" (one indicator of relative humidity).  :y 

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 August 2016, 11:48:14 »

Have you guys seen a fuel dump?

Quite the sight
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.