Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Vs Carlton/Senator  (Read 6539 times)

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Vs Carlton/Senator
« Reply #15 on: 27 April 2007, 09:51:17 »

Oh my other favourites were Avengers and SUnbeams
Wish I could have owned either (or both) of these cars - not old enough!

Having seen, and driven, Tunnie's Senator, I can confirm that it is very comfortable and had a nice amount of "poke".  The electronic suspension is also fun to play with. What with the digital dash, leather, lots of wood etc - I left feeling quite envious.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 April 2007, 10:11:12 »

I've said it once and I'll say it again and again and again,

With reference to the buying price of my Omega and my last Senator, the Omega is undoubtedly a better car overall, but it's not twenty four times better.

Agree with LB in that there's just something about Senators. I crave them regularly. (In fact there's a black one on Ebay at the moment that I had to make a conscious effort not to bid on!!)
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 April 2007, 10:17:27 »

Comparing like for like as far as possible according to Mr Haynes Senator 3.0 24 v auto with A/C is 2065 kg and a 3.0 Omega is between 2095 kg & 2125 kg. That makes the crappy Omega heavier than a superior Senator.

Those have got to be max gross weights?

I have a feeling my MV6 is around 1650 kerb weight.

According to the ABS web site a 24v senator auto is 1608.

Not a great deal in it but the Senator doesn't look heavier. It's weight distribution that counts, however, and the V6 Omega has most of the engine weight set well back in the vehicle, as anyone who has tried to work on one will have the knuckles to prove.

Since the Senator is an inline 6 a significant proportion of the engine weight overhangs the front axle which is bad for handling.

Still have warm recollections of my dad's 24v Senator though.

Whilst my 3.2 MV6 is theoretically superior in most respects there's something the Senator had that's missing on the Omega. Can't put my finger on it though. Maybe just nostalgia as previously mentioned.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 April 2007, 10:25:54 »

Comparing like for like as far as possible according to Mr Haynes Senator 3.0 24 v auto with A/C is 2065 kg and a 3.0 Omega is between 2095 kg & 2125 kg. That makes the crappy Omega heavier than a superior Senator.

Those have got to be max gross weights?

I have a feeling my MV6 is around 1650 kerb weight.

According to the ABS web site a 24v senator auto is 1608.

Not a great deal in it but the Senator doesn't look heavier. It's weight distribution that counts, however, and the V6 Omega has most of the engine weight set well back in the vehicle, as anyone who has tried to work on one will have the knuckles to prove.

Since the Senator is an inline 6 a significant proportion of the engine weight overhangs the front axle which is bad for handling.

Still have warm recollections of my dad's 24v Senator though.

Whilst my 3.2 MV6 is theoretically superior in most respects there's something the Senator had that's missing on the Omega. Can't put my finger on it though. Maybe just nostalgia as previously mentioned.

Kevin

Ooops! My mistake - you're correct ..... it must've been the time of day I was typing
Omega 1575-1625             Senator 1574kg
Senator is still the light weight .... in terms of weight  ;)

Senator's had/have a certain exculsivity. Omegas in general are everywhere, the Senator was not a common car even when new (30 000-ish cars made)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 April 2007, 10:38:30 »

Senator's had/have a certain exculsivity. Omegas in general are everywhere, the Senator was not a common car even when new (30 000-ish cars made)

That may be it, I guess. I suppose there was greater differentiation in those days between the Senator and the 4 pots and estates, which were all Carltons.

Not that there's anything wrong with 4 pots or estates, of course  :-[

It just meant that the Senator didn't sell in such volumes as the Omega, which looks pretty similar regardless of spec.

I also loved the sound of the straight 6. It really had a nice burble. The V6 is quiet and refined and no doubt the better engine but nowhere near as many smiles to the gallon!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 April 2007, 10:44:59 »

I also loved the sound of the straight 6. It really had a nice burble. The V6 is quiet and refined and no doubt the better engine but nowhere near as many smiles to the gallon!

Kevin

I don't know about Smiles to the gallon, my Omega doesn't do the MILES to the gallon either that my Senator did, either around town or on the motorway.

V6's can sound nice though, usually when they're still breathing through a carb! :y My Dad's MkII Granada sounds great.  ;)

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 April 2007, 10:55:45 »

That may be it, I guess. I suppose there was greater differentiation in those days between the Senator and the 4 pots and estates, which were all Carltons.

Not that there's anything wrong with 4 pots or estates, of course  :-[

It just meant that the Senator didn't sell in such volumes as the Omega, which looks pretty similar regardless of spec.

Kevin

And that, I think, is part of the general demise of the Omega - apart from most people not wanting big cars now.  All specs (even the Elite) looked largely the same from the outside and it is only those who know the differences that were able to tell them apart.  With the Senator, other road users knew you had something big, luxurious, and powerful....

Just my opinion
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 April 2007, 11:08:55 »

And that, I think, is part of the general demise of the Omega - apart from most people not wanting big cars now.  All specs (even the Elite) looked largely the same from the outside and it is only those who know the differences that were able to tell them apart.  With the Senator, other road users knew you had something big, luxurious, and powerful....

Just my opinion

Exactly! GM attemted to replace two cars, an also ran Carlton (yes! I know there were a lot of variations, from 1.8 through to GSi & Diplomat) and a luxury Senator with a one size fits all Omega (which isn't as big  :( ).

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 April 2007, 11:50:55 »

My apologies on the weight, when comparing VIN plates, i must have read the wrong numbers... i thought the Senator was heavier!  :-[

I think I need to learn to control cars better on the limit, tempted to do what Omega toy has done. Get a manual senator and turn it into a track day car  :)

For me, going from a Senator to an Omega. The Senator does seam to have some 'something' about it, got  a nod from a guy in a GSi Carlton who passed me on the M40.

Also saw some guys in a plod marked T5 both look at me when passing.... so think a lot of people still crave them  ;)

Looking forward to blasting it around Europe!  :D

Martin_1962

« Reply #24 on: 27 April 2007, 12:49:10 »

Oh my other favourites were Avengers and SUnbeams
Wish I could have owned either (or both) of these cars - not old enough!

Having seen, and driven, Tunnie's Senator, I can confirm that it is very comfortable and had a nice amount of "poke".  The electronic suspension is also fun to play with. What with the digital dash, leather, lots of wood etc - I left feeling quite envious.

I have driven 12v Senators, quite pokey, but the 2.5 Senator was gutless, I would say worse than a 2.0 Carlton (D E F regs). Never got to deliver a GSi3000 :( :'(.  But always seemed to be driving in 1.3 Ashtrays or 2.0 Carltons, I hated the carb 1.8 Carlton and could not see the point in the 1.8 injection

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 April 2007, 12:57:24 »

Martin, you owe it to yourself to own a 3.0 24v Senator for a while. You have such a history with your cars, this is the one you are missing.

Maybe buy Tunnie's when he returns (if it survives!?)  ;)
The Administrator.

Martin_1962

« Reply #26 on: 27 April 2007, 13:13:03 »

Martin, you owe it to yourself to own a 3.0 24v Senator for a while. You have such a history with your cars, this is the one you are missing.

There are a few cars I would like, personally always wanted a GS13000 24V, but I still like the idea of a 2.0 Carlton with a hot 2.0 like the pre Ecotec 16v.

Senators are interesting, but I don't have the money to play with cars so much now, I came out from a few years of crap work and unemployment to a job I didn't get a chance to save, then anothe low pay period - then I got saddled with mortgage & marriage after going back to proper emplyment. So due to little money in my 20s I am still playing catchup!!

I ran my Sunbeam until spares were required too much and I couldn't get to work (silly things like clutch & throttle cables took days to arrive) then I ran the Carlton till it was knackered (cills rotten and box knackered). Then with children and house move leaves me unable to afford to run a second car.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 April 2007, 13:16:25 »

Yes I have the feeling it will not be in the same state when I return  ::)

Thanks Mark btw for the torque figures.... I have driven TB's MV6 and the Senator does 'feel' like it has more torque, but as the figures show its all in the mind!

Martin - The 24v Senator is quite something, never driven the 2.5 Senny so can't really comment. But the 24v is as fast as a 3.0 MV6  ;)

Tempted to de-cat & chip the Senator just for the hell of it  :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 April 2007, 13:34:42 »

but the 2.5 Senator was gutless, ......

Same as a 2.5 Omega then!!  ::)

Martin_1962

« Reply #29 on: 27 April 2007, 14:47:10 »

No actually it is completely different big heavy straight 6 of 140bhp, less than 20 more than a 2.0 Carlton and only 6 more than a 2.0 Omega.

The 2.5 Senator is the direct equivalent of the 2.0 Omega!

The 3.0 12v is less powerful than the Omega 2.6 V6, but torqueier

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.