Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: THIEFING BARSTEWARDS  (Read 2605 times)

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
THIEFING BARSTEWARDS
« on: 02 May 2007, 20:44:49 »

Can you beleve this, we are left gobsmacked
My dad owns a 1989 Astra, his pride and joy with just 18000 miles on it from new and which looks better than the day it was picked up from Archie Moss's. Anyway, this afternoon at about 3.30 he was sitting in his living room having a coffee when he noticed two youths in hoodies and baseball caps walking down the road, which is infact a culdisac of 18 houses on the edge of a small town. He went to take his mug back into the kitchen and by the time he returned to the living room these two scumbags had smashed the lock and half the passenger door and were trying in vain to remove the crook lock from the steering wheel, having already smashed the ignition barrel and started the car, with luck the girl down the road had spotted what was going on and blocked my dad's car in with hers and the scumbags decided to make a run for it. This all happened within 60seconds and had it not been for the crook lock (very aptly named) and for Laura then dad's pride and joy would have been gone. So just be aware how quick and how blatent these b@~t#r@s are. 3.30 in the afternoon outside your own front door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Re: THIEFING BARSTEWARDS
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2007, 20:50:47 »

thats awful  >:(

take it they made a real mess no doubt of the door etc?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2007, 20:51:44 »

Trouble is, they know Mk2 Astras can be got into in a couple of secs...

Used to have similar issues with my Mk2 GTE  >:(
Grumpy old man

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2007, 20:59:13 »

Yep bent the door where the lock goes and smashed the shroud etc around the ignition lock, If it had been an old knacker it would have been bad enough but it really is better than brand new. If i ever find out who it is..................................... >:(

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2007, 21:09:51 »

That's why we have guns . . .  ;)

Sorry to hear.  It's just not worth having nice stuff.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2007, 21:37:15 »

I was watching car wars tonight and some scumbags stole an old mans car. The police caught them and they got a £40 fine and a bit of community service. What really should have happened was they should have tied them to the road and let the old man run over them as many times as he likes :y
Retired

amigov6

« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2007, 21:38:27 »

Can you beleve this, we are left gobsmacked
My dad owns a 1989 Astra, his pride and joy with just 18000 miles on it from new and which looks better than the day it was picked up from Archie Moss's. Anyway, this afternoon at about 3.30 he was sitting in his living room having a coffee when he noticed two youths in hoodies and baseball caps walking down the road, which is infact a culdisac of 18 houses on the edge of a small town. He went to take his mug back into the kitchen and by the time he returned to the living room these two scumbags had smashed the lock and half the passenger door and were trying in vain to remove the crook lock from the steering wheel, having already smashed the ignition barrel and started the car, with luck the girl down the road had spotted what was going on and blocked my dad's car in with hers and the scumbags decided to make a run for it. This all happened within 60seconds and had it not been for the crook lock (very aptly named) and for Laura then dad's pride and joy would have been gone. So just be aware how quick and how blatent these b@~t#r@s are. 3.30 in the afternoon outside your own front door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>:(Scum. God bless Laura >:(

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2007, 21:52:08 »

The issue is that chancers like these know all modern cars have immobilisers built into the ECU and they don't know how to get around it, so older cars are a perfect target. I highly recommend getting a disclok for it, it covers the whole steering wheel and is pretty much the only physical deterrent that will resist physical attack for 5 minutes. Well that and the barrier deadlock that locks it into a gear (usually reverse) but that has to be welded into the underside of the car so is expensive and not very visible deterrent. The disclok is about £70 and is quite bulky but well worth it, most of these chancers won't even attempt to remove it. The problem with crook locks and the like are that they're very easy to quickly and quietly remove by cutting the steering wheel.

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2007, 22:08:06 »

A job for Hotel21 and Dean!

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2007, 22:15:27 »

Sorry to hear about your dads car mate even if they didn't get away with the car it's the feeling of violation and the damage (especially to older people) they leave that really causes upset. community sevice and small fines  boll*x >:( what I say is cut there f*cking hands off! >:(
« Last Edit: 02 May 2007, 22:17:07 by Tony_H »
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

Danny

• Omega Lord
  • Wigan, Greater Manchester
  • BLACK 1.6 BORA SHAPED JETTA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2007, 22:22:50 »

touch wood i'm lucky not (yet) to have been a victim of car crime, altho over the last 2½ years my parents fiestas have both been stolen or broke into, more than once, and the renault clit over the road was broken into, yet my meega and my brother's lexus remain untouched

i was furious when someone stole my chrome mirror covers off my corsa when it was parked at work.. i felt so violated

i'm one of the most calm people on the planet but if someone tampered with my car i'd flip my lid!!

STMO123

« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2007, 22:27:58 »

I hope the insurance company dont write it off :(

Martin_1962

« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2007, 22:31:16 »

GP100 Tax Disc stolen

GS250T Had brake reservior rubber diaphram stolen

Sunbeam 2 attempted breakins ( broke door ock)

There are a lot of bastards about

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2007, 23:20:51 »

Sorry to hear about the mess with the Astra....

Luckily Omegas are relatively safe because:

They are not a joy rider's wheels of choice (maybe a 3.2 MV6 manual, but still it is too heavy for mad driving)

They are not worth much for resale as hot

They are not worth much in parts since there is an over supply of broken Omega in scrappies...

They have ECU-integrated immobiliser, and while not insurmountable (thieves have been known to show-up with a replacement ECU and ignition barrel..) it's just not worth the bother.

Now if we all had Subaru Impreza WRXs, that's another story..

The vast majority of car crime in the Omega case would be theft from vehicle I suspect.

Alas, no more Omegas....

miggy

« Reply #14 on: 03 May 2007, 01:37:43 »

should not say this, but I caught a chap (about 19) having a look at the miggy, he then decided to try the door, as he got to the rear of my baby I lept out the front door, jumped on him, he did not know what day it was, they say not to take the law into your own hands, but I am sorry, I dealt with him in my own way if you know what I mean, if I had held him for the police he would have only got a slapt wrist, the police must also get frustrated seeing what type of stupid sentances the courts give out to these low lifes.
MY PROPERTY, I WILL DEFEND IT.
touch wood i'm lucky not (yet) to have been a victim of car crime, altho over the last 2½ years my parents fiestas have both been stolen or broke into, more than once, and the renault clit over the road was broken into, yet my meega and my brother's lexus remain untouched

i was furious when someone stole my chrome mirror covers off my corsa when it was parked at work.. i felt so violated

i'm one of the most calm people on the planet but if someone tampered with my car i'd flip my lid!!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.