Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.2 vs V6 - MPG  (Read 3904 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: 2.2 vs V6 - MPG
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2015, 10:11:24 »

2.2auto here, 2003 and low(ish) mileage at 67k.

I get 26-28 ATM on mixed runs. My run to work and back (90miles each way) yields 30-33 depending on whether I go between 65 & 80. If I do predominantly town driving it dips to around 22-24.

I will say that the above is with a knackered thermostat. So we shall see what difference that makes.

The big car small engine comment is right. I get only 1-1.5mpg better on the omega than from my 3.0v6 awd X-type. Although I will add I think in every other respect the mig is a far better car.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2015, 10:21:38 »

To be fair my quote of 16 mpg from the 2.2 auto estate was when my wife used it for work a round trip of only 6 miles so barely warmed up  , they are as people have said a lot easier to work on  but disappointing in performance compared to a V6.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 December 2015, 10:35:08 »

To be fair my quote of 16 mpg from the 2.2 auto estate was when my wife used it for work a round trip of only 6 miles so barely warmed up  ,  ....

That's what my wife gor from my 3.0 when she used mine for work ...... she has two throttles positions ..... on or off  :-X

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 December 2015, 10:47:16 »

they are as people have said a lot easier to work on .... compared to a V6.

This has definitely been my experience <4hrs to do timing belt, water pump, tensioners and thermostat yesterday with never having done one before shows how straightforward they are.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 December 2015, 11:11:06 »

they are as people have said a lot easier to work on .... compared to a V6.

This has definitely been my experience <4hrs to do timing belt, water pump, tensioners and thermostat yesterday with never having done one before shows how straightforward they are.

Sounds about right for a V6 to me, so that would be less than 2hours to do the same jobs on a 2.2?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 December 2015, 14:39:10 »

Nah, bout 4hrs for me to do the 2.2. From putting the car in the garage to taking it back out. Bearing in mind I've never done one so don't know how things come apart (ie electrical connectors etc.

Also included lunch and a brew :P.

So um yeah, maybe 2.5hrs actual work.  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 December 2015, 15:17:41 »

Nah, bout 4hrs for me to do the 2.2. From putting the car in the garage to taking it back out. Bearing in mind I've never done one so don't know how things come apart (ie electrical connectors etc.

Also included lunch and a brew :P .

knowing what and how to dismantle stuff is certainly the key to getting a job done efficiently. I had about 90 minutes in doing my V6 cambelt, although there was a lot of extra time in changing the crank oil seal while I was there. The water pump isn't part of that job, but is only another 3 bolts, so with the necessary cleaning up is another 5 minutes. The V6 thermostat is probably another 90minute job, but some of the cambelt preparatory dismantling is the same. The advice here is to replace the transfer tube, which saves a worthwhile amount of time if you chisel the tube and housing apart from the beginning.

The brew is an essential part of working on lumps of cold metal this time of year ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 December 2015, 15:24:53 »

Well done! I found it nerve racking first time, knowing what harm I could do if I messed it up. Now you know it has been done properly, and how to do it next time. I found it tricky on the 2.2 locating the tensioner tail in the right slot.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 December 2015, 15:36:46 »

To be fair my quote of 16 mpg from the 2.2 auto estate was when my wife used it for work a round trip of only 6 miles so barely warmed up  ,  ....

That's what my wife gor from my 3.0 when she used mine for work ...... she has two throttles positions ..... on or off  :-X

Me no understandy... Are there more than 2 throttle positions? ??? ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 December 2015, 16:42:52 »

Certianly not in her world  ;) ;)

martin341

• Finland
  • I do my own stunts.
    • '00 3,0 MV6, '00 2,5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 28 December 2015, 16:50:44 »

Autoboxes has third one, S  ::)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 28 December 2015, 22:24:14 »

Well done! I found it nerve racking first time, knowing what harm I could do if I messed it up. Now you know it has been done properly, and how to do it next time. I found it tricky on the 2.2 locating the tensioner tail in the right slot.

Cheers. I've never done one by myself before. Although I did assist my dad doing his v8 rs6  :o. Properly difficult bar steward that one. First thing is to slide the whole front of the car forward about 6" on dowels so you can get access to it. Nightmare!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.