Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Net Zero  (Read 5427 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Net Zero
« Reply #45 on: 13 September 2023, 19:42:57 »

If you need a new gas boiler you'd better get one quickly!  :o

May even be worth getting one in stock even if you don't need one right now. :y
Will be having that conversation with the plumber when he comes to service the boiler tomorrow...

Thing is, you could spend a grand on a new boiler now, and it sits at the back of the garage for a few years until your boiler goes kaput, but then you find that it's illegal to fit a new boiler and you have to have a heat pump.  :-\

Then you've got an expensive box of scrap metal...  :-X  ::)
But would it be a 'new' boiler in a few years time?

That letter suggests production percentages, not what's actually installed... The manufacturers could take a leaf out of the Chinesey Book of Illusion and simply produce millions of the eco gubbins and set up an imaginary company to buy them... said imaginary company could write off the cost as a business expense and recycle the parts, selling them back to the actual company at a loss.

If they need to produce 3,000 units a month, they could make 200 units, keep 100 in stock just in case some eejit actually wants to install one ::) and sell/strip/buy back the other 100 ad infinitum... 30 times a month.

Yes. They will ban replacing a gas boiler whether it is fresh from the factory, new/old stock from your garage or a second hand unit.  You'll need a very friendly gas fitter who will do a quiet weekend job for cash and hope your neighbours don't grass you up!  ::)  Oh hold on.... Cash has gone as well...  >:D

No. They will be required to sell a certain number of heat pumps every year and if they don't meet the target, they will be fined £5000 per unit under target.  ::)

There's a word for this sort of thing. Totalitarianism!  :-X
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13 September 2023, 19:52:27 »

I had a new gas boiler fitted a few months back and a tiled, insulated roof fitted on my conservatory so I should be able to keep the authorities at bay for a while.  :)
I don’t have any smart meters though, so I could still be locked up. ::) 

Just a thought, I sold my parents house a couple of months back and that had old Covenants restricting the fixing of anything to the front or rear wall of the property, other than approved extensions and conservatories. It could be argued that an ugly bastard great big heat pump would breach the Land Registry Covenant.  :-\
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 13 September 2023, 20:13:39 »

I have ducted  warm air central heating, unfortunately the guy who installed my replacement unit, (have used him for over twenty years),  has decided to retire due to mental health issues, selfish bastard. ;D. The problem i have now is finding a service engineer in my area, as warm air is totally out of fashion. I love it, warms up quickly so have never used the timer, just switch on and heat  is there in a couple of minutes. Also didn't have to have floors taken up and plpes running down walls etc. I asked him about a recommendation for his replacement and he said that he'd give it some thought.
Gas or electric, Ron?
Gas Steve.
Just had a read about it, Ron. I'm sure there must be people who can service the gas burner, it sounds like a good , if somewhat old, system to me.
The new unit was fitted in 2006 as the old one's heat exchanger went tits up. I believe that the units are still being made. I have found service engineers for warm air units, but they seem to be miles away from Suffolk. Still, early days, will keep looking.  :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13 September 2023, 20:17:12 »

Will be having that conversation with the plumber when he comes to service the boiler tomorrow...

Thing is, you could spend a grand on a new boiler now, and it sits at the back of the garage for a few years until your boiler goes kaput, but then you find that it's illegal to fit a new boiler and you have to have a heat pump.  :-\

I'm pretty sure you'd find someone to fit a boiler that, for all anyone knows, was fitted years ago. He'd probably have to come late evening, dressed in party gear with his toolbox covered in birthday wrapping paper, just to be on the safe side. Or some curtain twitcher would report you to the gas police.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 13 September 2023, 20:31:51 »

I'm pretty sure you'd find someone to fit a boiler that, for all anyone knows, was fitted years ago. He'd probably have to come late evening, dressed in party gear with his toolbox covered in birthday wrapping paper, just to be on the safe side. Or some curtain twitcher would report you to the gas police.

See above. ^

You'll need a very friendly gas fitter who will do a quiet weekend job for cash and hope your neighbours don't grass you up!  ::)  Oh hold on.... Cash has gone as well...  >:D

Do keep up at the back!  ;D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13 September 2023, 20:34:04 »

See above. ^

You'll need a very friendly gas fitter who will do a quiet weekend job for cash and hope your neighbours don't grass you up!  ::)  Oh hold on.... Cash has gone as well...  >:D

Yes, I noticed that after I posted, but cba to acknowledge it  ;D
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 13 September 2023, 20:40:46 »

See above. ^

Yes, I noticed that after I posted, but cba to acknowledge it  ;D

Great minds think alike!  :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 13 September 2023, 20:50:10 »

If I was going to break the law by the illegal fitting of a gas boiler, I'm pretty I'd break the law on someone qualified fitting it as well. A quick scan on YouTube and I'd fit the bastid meself.
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 13 September 2023, 20:50:59 »

Or, of course, you could just pay the premium and crack on.
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 13 September 2023, 21:22:58 »

Yes I maintain my own baxi backboiler bought it secondhand from Moses🤣 it’s that old I’ve had time to find out 99.9% of how it works, I’ll never change it unless it does something I can’t fix although I can’t imagine what that could be.
Laying a rubber road.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 13 September 2023, 22:03:21 »

Had a text message from British Gas yesterday saying it was time to upgrade my meters and they're coming next Tuesday between 1 and 5pm to fit smart meters.I think I might be out,admittedly that would only delay the changeover.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 13 September 2023, 22:11:12 »

Had a text message from British Gas yesterday saying it was time to upgrade my meters and they're coming next Tuesday between 1 and 5pm to fit smart meters.I think I might be out,admittedly that would only delay the changeover.
Octopus keep telling me that mine are out of their certification period. I just ignore them. If they insist on fitting smart meters, I'll find a way to make them dumb.
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 13 September 2023, 22:12:18 »

Apparently within the Energy Bill that went through Parliament the other day are measures that allow the authorities to force entry to fit smart meters.  :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 13 September 2023, 22:13:44 »

Octopus keep telling me that mine are out of their certification period. I just ignore them. If they insist on fitting smart meters, I'll find a way to make them dumb.

I think they've given up nagging me to have them!  ;D    For the time being anyway....  :-\  ::)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 13 September 2023, 22:14:47 »

Apparently within the Energy Bill that went through Parliament the other day are measures that allow the authorities to force entry to fit smart meters.  :-\
This from citizens advice:

Refusing a smart meter

You don’t have to accept a smart meter if you don’t want one. If your supplier tells you that you must have one installed, contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline.

If you refuse a smart meter, you might find it hard to access all tariffs. This is because in future the cheaper tariffs offered by suppliers might only be available to customers with smart meters.

If you need to replace your old-style meter because it’s unsafe, you might not be able to refuse a smart meter. This is because not many old-style meters are made now - your supplier might not have any in stock.

You can ask your supplier to install your smart meter with the extra functionality switched off. This means it’ll work in the same way as your current meter, and won’t send any information to your supplier. Contact your supplier to check if they can do this.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.