Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pronouns  (Read 2780 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Pronouns
« on: 09 October 2023, 11:47:59 »

Here's one for all you grumpy old men (myself included)

PRONOUNS.

Am I the only one who thinks the world has gone absolutely rather barking mad over political correctness and virtue signaling?

I was recently referred to in a document, repeatedly, as "they". I am not a rather "they", I am a "he". Firstly, there is only one of me, and "they" by definition means more than one.

Secondly, if you're that worried about offending me by using my (obvious) gender and therefore saying "he", just use my bloody name?

What is with this absolute shit?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Pronouns
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2023, 12:12:10 »

I still call everyone Sir or Madame. >:D

We recently changed our announcements to Everyone and Everybody and apparently our new uniform is 'gender fluid' which has really pissed the girls off, especially as the quality of theirs is atrocious.
Onanists always think outside the box.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2023, 12:21:07 »

Can the female staff still choose traditional cabin crew attire, such as skirts and necktie, or, are they now not allowed under this crazy new world?

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 October 2023, 12:21:16 »

Mate and Lass or Love does up here.
Diesel till I die

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 October 2023, 12:22:07 »

Mate and Lass or Love does up here.

:y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 October 2023, 12:24:26 »

Here's one for all you grumpy old men (myself included)

PRONOUNS.

Am I the only one who thinks the world has gone absolutely rather barking mad over political correctness and virtue signaling?

I was recently referred to in a document, repeatedly, as "they". I am not a rather "they", I am a "he". Firstly, there is only one of me, and "they" by definition means more than one.

Secondly, if you're that worried about offending me by using my (obvious) gender and therefore saying "he", just use my bloody name?

What is with this absolute shit?

No.

Pronouns are predominately used by white university  educated kids......who are probably also vegan and extremely left wing.

Generally speaking pronouns are not used by the working class, or people over 25.

It's kids stuff, and utter lunacy. :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 October 2023, 13:01:20 »

No.

Pronouns are predominately used by white university  educated kids......who are probably also vegan and extremely left wing.

Generally speaking pronouns are not used by the working class, or people over 25.

What utter rubbish. Pronouns are used by everyone to avoid the tedious and repetitive use of names in normal communication. They include his, her, its, their, me, mine, yours and others. They had been used a single pronoun for centuries until the people who had been taught Latin grammar was perfect decided it also applied to English. This is where most of the asinine and contentious 'rules' came from, like not splitting an infinitive or beginning a sentence with a conjunction. Those are both impossible in Latin.

James should reply, in writing, to the originator of the document that he considers being misgendered offensive and insensitive. If he can work in casual and inappropriate he'll hit all the buttons. Copying this reply to their HR department is probably a good idea too.

Every time I hear of this, I wonder if it's a problem in other languages that still have gendered nouns where changing the gender refers to a completely different object, or those that don't use genders at all. Remember, gender is a grammatical term that is not synonymous with sex. Confusing those is probably the cause of this. Conflating them definitely is.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2023, 13:02:53 by Nick W »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 October 2023, 13:11:21 »

No.

What utter rubbish. Pronouns are used by everyone to avoid the tedious and repetitive use of names in normal communication. They include his, her, its, their, me, mine, yours and others. They had been used a single pronoun for centuries until the people who had been taught Latin grammar was perfect decided it also applied to English. This is where most of the asinine and contentious 'rules' came from, like not splitting an infinitive or beginning a sentence with a conjunction. Those are both impossible in Latin.

James should reply, in writing, to the originator of the document that he considers being misgendered offensive and insensitive. If he can work in casual and inappropriate he'll hit all the buttons. Copying this reply to their HR department is probably a good idea too.

Every time I hear of this, I wonder if it's a problem in other languages that still have gendered nouns where changing the gender refers to a completely different object, or those that don't use genders at all. Remember, gender is a grammatical term that is not synonymous with sex. Confusing those is probably the cause of this. Conflating them definitely is.

Woke crap. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2023, 13:18:02 »

https://youtu.be/zxvyeZa1YSI?feature=shared

If you have 18 minutes to spare.

University kids and asssorted they/them types  get 'triggered' by PB stating there are only 2 genders.

Apparently he is 'causing harm in their safe space' ::)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2023, 13:25:09 »

Can the female staff still choose traditional cabin crew attire, such as skirts and necktie, or, are they now not allowed under this crazy new world?
They can and do :y. But now so can anyone else who identifies as non male.

Technically the girls now have more choice... previously skirt or trousers with a short or long sleeved blouse, cravat and jacket. Now they can add a dress and jump suit.

In theory blokes have gone from a two piece suit to a choice of slim or regular three piece. Plus whatever floats any particular boat :-X

The new uniform fits me better but the old uniform was much better quality. One girl on my last trip has pulled runs in two of her three issued faux silk blouses.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2023, 13:28:31 »

No.

Every time I hear of this, I wonder if it's a problem in other languages that still have gendered nouns where changing the gender refers to a completely different object, or those that don't use genders at all. Remember, gender is a grammatical term that is not synonymous with sex[/i]. Confusing those is probably the cause of this. Conflating them definitely is.

For 99.999% sex and gender are one and the same.

But I imagine you believe a biological man sexually attracted to women is a lesbian, if his gender and sex don't match. ::)   

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2023, 13:35:34 »

Technically the girls now have more choice... previously skirt or trousers with a short or long sleeved blouse, cravat and jacket. Now they can add a dress and jump suit.

In theory blokes have gone from a two piece suit to a choice of slim or regular three piece. Plus whatever floats any particular boat :-X

The new uniform fits me better but the old uniform was much better quality. One girl on my last trip has pulled runs in two of her three issued faux silk blouses.

Thee only people who are 'non male' are females......

Two sexes/two genders. Just like in the animal kingdom.

Five minutes ago everyone over age 6  knew this to be true.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2023, 13:36:32 »

I spent all of Thursday with a homosexual man and woman. Both had the same view of trans people. They would go for a person who was originally of the birth gender they prefer rather than someone transitioning to that gender... ie he fancied men and she fancied women. Which is as you would expect it given their preferences.

Incidentally, he dressed as a man and she a woman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 October 2023, 13:37:16 »

Thee only people who are 'non male' are females......

Two sexes/two genders. Just like in the animal kingdom.

Five minutes ago everyone over age 6  knew this to be true.
Except certain fish and frogs, oh and plants ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 October 2023, 13:57:00 »

I bet you look great in a short skirt and fish nets Al!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.