Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Part worn tyres??  (Read 7723 times)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
Part worn tyres??
« on: 10 September 2012, 12:24:27 »

Ad in local paper selling part worn tyres so I went and had a look. 2 Michelin premacy for front and 2 Pirelli snowsport for rear (all 225/55 16's) for £100 balance and fitted. All tyres have at least 7-8 mm tread left and look good, evenly worn etc. It sounds great to me but I though I better ask the experts on here 1st? Any1 on here experience with part worns, are they any good or should I avoid like the plague???
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Part worn tyres??
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2012, 12:36:41 »

There are a few questions you have to ask yourself - why were they removed?

Usual reasons:
Car scrapped (possibly due to accident), so may have been some impact to tyre
Flatspots/run out of true
Owners had a non-repairable puncture, and wanted matched pair
Tyre getting old

Additionally, remember:
History of tyre is unknown, with may have sustained non visible impact
Check the date of tyre (on sidewall)
New tyres are 9mm, and really need to be changed at approx 3mm. Although that makes 6mm the mid-point, the first 3mm last longer than the next 3mm - for this reason, always using part worns is false economy

However, its little different to buying a 2nd hand car, and using the tyres it came with.

Personally, I wouldn't consider part worns, but with money being tight for everyone, its the only option for some...  ...and part worns are likely to be safer than bald tyres.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2012, 12:37:28 »

Just looked again, so 2 summer and 2 winter tyres? That'll end in tears.
Grumpy old man

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2012, 12:46:54 »

Hmmmm, good points TB I did wonder where part worns came from and as you say 2 summer/2 winter wouldnt be great idea either. He did have lots of other options as well this was just one example and tbh I'm finding it hard to ignore it at the minute with me being off work as any half decent tyre is gonna set me back minimum £80/corner really

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2012, 12:55:32 »

dont buy a tire older than 3 years even if it has full thread depth.. normal tire life is maximum 5 years and some say 6..

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2012, 13:09:33 »

Balance and fitting in itself is £20 - 25, so you are paying £75 for 4 or 18.75 per tyre. Which is cheap as the proverbial Mcdonalds chips. If they are newish tyres, ie DOT within the last 2-3 years then it makes sense, any older and they could be hard and potentially dangerous. Like TB said, you have to wonder why a tyre with 7-8 mm has been thrown away? So many variables. But i understand the financial logic.

Don't mix summer and winter tyres, differential grip doesn't help a car at all.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2012, 13:14:09 »

I had no choice but to stick a part worn tyre on after the Lakes meet as funds were very tight... Wish I hadn't bothered TBH as it's already been changed again ::)

Mind you... Funds are still a little tight so I ended up with a couple of cheap tyres on the back to make it legal and they're not very good :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

omega3000

« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2012, 13:23:02 »

Bought 2 part worn , fitted and balanced 10mm tread £50 for both ...never had any problem with grip noise or other ... pot luck i think , some folks i know have had tyres not sealing correct and out of shape tyres .

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 September 2012, 13:36:15 »

TBH I had a good chat with the guy and he seemed very genuine and honest and said I could take my pick of what was there so I'm really thinking of giving it a go. At the worst case they will be rubbish and I will have to get them changed and just get cheap new ones, at the best they will be grand and its only cost me £100, I think its worth a gamble but I'll wait on more replies just to be on the safe side. Btw where do I find the dat on the tyres??

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #9 on: 10 September 2012, 13:54:13 »

TBH I had a good chat with the guy and he seemed very genuine and honest and said I could take my pick of what was there so I'm really thinking of giving it a go. At the worst case they will be rubbish and I will have to get them changed and just get cheap new ones, at the best they will be grand and its only cost me £100, I think its worth a gamble but I'll wait on more replies just to be on the safe side. Btw where do I find the dat on the tyres??

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/car-tire-date-code.html

feeutfo

« Reply #10 on: 10 September 2012, 15:53:19 »

Part worns ar far from ideal, but they do have a purpose in life.
One being saving your good tyres until the car is set up as you want it.

But even in good operating temps for which they where designed winter tyres offer very little grip on Tarmac. They offer even less grip in summer temperatures.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 September 2012, 16:31:17 »

I have bought used sets of wheels and tyres before without issue but as said have a damn good look at them !!

Nice to see the economic situation some are experiencing being recognised in this thread rather than the attitudes in some previous ones! :y
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

albitz

« Reply #12 on: 10 September 2012, 16:47:18 »

Not punctured, plenty of tread - on they go. :y ;D ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 September 2012, 16:50:38 »

TBH, my experience was poor because there was little choice at the time and I had the best tyre they had 3.5mm tread. Good thing was it matched the tread on the other side so they wore evenly.

I have found a very good place for part worns in Chelmsford. They are almost always spares from write-offs and come with a lifetime guarantee. Had one fitted to the van (as a spare) a while back and it's still fine :y

Unfortunately they don't get 235/45/17 as a size often because it's not a common size, especially for a spare! Hence why I had to bite the bullet and have one from the other place (which I wouldn't do again ;))

Currently have a pair of "Rapid" tyres on the back as I know the geometry is out and I don't want expensive tyres ruined whilst I'm sorting my life out and changing all the suspension! ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 September 2012, 16:56:29 »

I wasn't going to get them on right away as theres a month or 2 left on the tyres that are on but I'd be tempted by the winter tyres towards the end of october when I'm probably needing to change anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.