Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Head Gasket or Oil Cooler  (Read 3485 times)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Head Gasket or Oil Cooler
« Reply #15 on: 24 March 2016, 23:10:19 »

Could also simply be the header tank... They are prone to cracking around the cap...

How does that account for the "sludge" in the ops header tank?  ::)

Agree with others diags of failed oil cooler
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 25 March 2016, 08:51:25 »

Could also simply be the header tank... They are prone to cracking around the cap...

How does that account for the "sludge" in the ops header tank?  ::)

Agree with others diags of failed oil cooler
Here we go again >:(

Previous owner could have put any number of stop leak products in there... Thrown in a total lack of coolant maintenance and you're well on the way to sludge and scale throughout the cooling system. The last place this manifests itself is, ironically, the only place you can see it without removing anything... ie the header tank... And if replacing the cap has helped stem the leak, why can the tank neck itself not also be cracked?

£39 for a new header tank vs £150+ in oil cooler parts which may or may not be necessary... ???
Not to mention the labour time/cost.

It's a bit like suggesting that the windscreen be changed because the wiper blades are smearing.

Show me a picture of the crud in the tank on a piece of white paper and, if it's creamy cappuccino mayo then I will conceded that the oil cooler is indeed bollard.

In the meantime, my opinion is as valid as anyone else's, even yours :-X

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 March 2016, 11:53:46 »

Can't hurt to check header tank,can it?after all that's a free,easy check to do.Then if all is fine with that then oil cooler has to be prime suspect.Last week I paid just over £132 for one but then there was extra cost of 4 washers for bolts that pass through cooler pipes into cooler+washers for coolant bridge+I also bought a new oil filter due to the fact that filter has to come off to do cooler and mine is due oil change anyway it seemed foolish not to.So yes getting on for £150 touch in parts+labour[unless diy]

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 March 2016, 12:05:42 »

Can't hurt to check header tank,can it?after all that's a free,easy check to do.Then if all is fine with that then oil cooler has to be prime suspect.Last week I paid just over £132 for one but then there was extra cost of 4 washers for bolts that pass through cooler pipes into cooler+washers for coolant bridge+I also bought a new oil filter due to the fact that filter has to come off to do cooler and mine is due oil change anyway it seemed foolish not to.So yes getting on for £150 touch in parts+labour[unless diy]

Don't forget the Grey sealer too.  :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 March 2016, 12:10:02 »

OOPS! yes I forgot grey sealant too :D

deviney

• Liverpool
    • omega 3.2 v6 (lpg/petrol)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 March 2016, 13:05:34 »

Thanks for all the help guys.

Think am going to replace the expansion tank because it mayoed up with lots of creamy brown crud thats stuck all over the tank :( and replace the oil cooler.

If i wanted to buy the parts and then get someone to fit them... is their a list of what i need and a recommended place for me to get them from.

That way i can take it all to the garage and just pay the labour charge for fitting :)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 March 2016, 13:16:26 »

am near Liverpool. it would be grate if i could get someone off here as at-least id know they know there shit!

Am are you joking about the ariel tabs that does not sound healthy at all haha

Nup  ;D

I ran mine for a while when cooler was starting to leak.
No problems around town.
Just scooped the gunge out of the tank every few days  :y
Made the mistake of going for a blast down the motorway.
Car going great until I slowed down for some roadworks, the stat closed and the engine very nearly cooked itself  :'(
Spent 2 hours parked up with the bonnet up near a tree for shade until it cooled down enough.
Limped into town to find a supermarket and popped in about 7 tabs.
The Bio part breaks down the oil and lets the coolant flow around the engine  :y

The coolant does end up looking like watered down cat vomit but it did the job within minutes of running it again and I got home with the gauge sat at a nice 85 degree's  :y

The coolant does end up smelling like a slappers handbag though  ;)
Not that I know about these things of course  :-X :D :D   

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 March 2016, 14:20:03 »

Think am going to replace the expansion tank because it mayoed up with lots of creamy brown crud thats stuck all over the tank :( and replace the oil cooler.

If i wanted to buy the parts and then get someone to fit them... is their a list of what i need and a recommended place for me to get them from.

That way i can take it all to the garage and just pay the labour charge for fitting :)
Don't put on new tank straight away, as it will need a few flushes to get all the shite out.

If you're not feeling up to DIY, try someone like Darth Loo-knee on here - you'll get a better job done than a garage would do.  Also, not sure if Elite Pete still does stuff?
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #23 on: 25 March 2016, 15:02:18 »

Don't put on new tank straight away, as it will need a few flushes to get all the shite out.

If you're not feeling up to DIY, try someone like Darth Loo-knee on here - you'll get a better job done than a garage would do.  Also, not sure if Elite Pete still does stuff?
Indeed. Twenty plus iirc from Aaronjbs... :D get a big box of tabs, you won't get much change from 40 :o

Only change the tank/refill with 50/50 when it runs clear. And don't use the car until then... :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 March 2016, 16:39:50 »

You will need
Oil cooler,got mine off e-bay which included cover plate and nuts,washers,seals which hold oil cooler and cover plate together.I don't know if any one kit is recommended more than another.
There are 4 washers which go on the bolts which go through the oil cooler pipes into oil cooler.I don't know if these are strictly necessary to renew but why take the chance?Bought mine from Vx dealer.
New washers needed for coolant bridge.Again got mine from Vx dealer
Grey sealant for cover plate Vx dealer
Perhaps not strictly necessary but I also bought a new oil filter as this has to be removed to change oil cooler-and in my case it's due an oil and filter change anyway,bought mine from ECP,but basically can be sourced from any where you fancy.
So all in £140-£150 in parts.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 March 2016, 13:13:18 »

You're not a million miles from Daz (AKA Darth Loo knee) :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.