Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Cooler  (Read 4657 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Cooler
« Reply #15 on: 02 April 2016, 20:31:10 »

I recently paid just under £134 for on from the bay of e. This comprised cooler.cooler plate and washers seals and nuts to hold them together.I then bought separately the 4 dowty washers for the coolant bridge and 4 washers for the bolts that pass through cooler pipes into top of cooler.

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 April 2016, 19:49:58 »

Oh that's good to know on such a low mileage car 48000.I see Courtenay sport are doing the oil cooler kit for £140 with washers does that seem a reasonable price?

Not much more genuine and you know they are good

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 05 April 2016, 10:28:16 »

Did you slacken the oil pipes next to the filter? If not you can reasonably expect them to leak... they don't respond well to force :-\

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 April 2016, 17:47:08 »

HKT if your question re slackening cooler pipes at engine was directed to me,then as things stand job has not yet been done.Been busy gathering all parts I want replaced and a mobile mechanic is due to arrive this Saturday to fit cam belt kit,after which I'll move car somewhere safer than side of roadand have oil cooler changed along with oil and filter change.Meanwhile car isn't being used and hasn't been since last November,hopefully have it back in use back end next week.

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 05 April 2016, 20:10:53 »

No ;) was directed to OP... Re his comment about pipes being rigid...

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 05 April 2016, 20:31:28 »

Yes all undone, they move a bit but i was expecting more!I had a practice today putting the plate on without sealant i managed to push or lift the longer pipe up onto the first step so i think there will be enough room to put the sealant on and not wipe it off when connecting to the oil cooler. Certainly the original sealant was a single thin line around,i guess they must have some around the bolt holes too...

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 April 2016, 20:03:12 »

Oil cooler arrived today with an extra set of washers for the other car,have to say and recommend the supplier CourtneySport £140 with washers and sealant and excellent communication.Appear to be genuine GM parts and the oil cooler look has changed from the original that i took off.One other thing i noticed is that the cooler hollow bolts and the bridge bolts are exactly the same length although i'm sure i read on here that they were different?

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 April 2016, 20:05:29 »

A question the oil filter housing to engine O ring does it need to be changed on reassembly? Part number?

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #23 on: 13 April 2016, 01:42:18 »

Oil cooler arrived today with an extra set of washers for the other car,have to say and recommend the supplier CourtneySport £140 with washers and sealant and excellent communication.Appear to be genuine GM parts and the oil cooler look has changed from the original that i took off.One other thing i noticed is that the cooler hollow bolts and the bridge bolts are exactly the same length although i'm sure i read on here that they were different?

Difference is subtle - look carefully at length of thread ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 April 2016, 19:55:14 »

Not my most successful day today looked at the banjo bolts and they seemed identical but it made little difference in the end as when i tried to reuse them 3 out of 4 sheered before 30nM.So now i will have to source some new ones begs the question why make something so fragile?Best place to source these please?Part numbers if different? Then turned to another job and sheered off my t40 torx bit so time to give it up for the day!!

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 May 2016, 22:55:40 »

Back off holiday and had a go to try and finish the oil cooler with the newly arrived banjo bolts. All appeared to be going well filled with oil and water and started,ran for about 15 mins then i suddenly noticed rather a lot of oil on the floor.Stopped the engine had a look under thought it must cooler area so stripped it all down again and apart from a very slight amount of oil around banjo bolts the area was dry and clean.Maybe its coming out under pressure around the oil filter housing but on the top side will check tomorrow. Which way around does the paper filter go in? I put it in open end near the engine block! Ah well until tomorrow and try again!!

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #26 on: 04 May 2016, 23:06:20 »

Lugs fit into "lid" ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 May 2016, 11:10:27 »

Did you locate and tighten up the oil cooler pipe ends correctly at the filter end?

gbh

• Intermediate Member
  • forest of dean
    • omega cdx 2.6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 May 2016, 22:29:02 »

Well think i found it i replaced the crush washers on one of the banjo boltsand i think that it might have worked.What happened was that i had all new washers and tried to use the old banjo bolts as they all looked the same out of the 4 i sheered 3 and one worked but i unconfident that it was ok so i replaced all 4 bolts but i reused the washers and the new ones that torqued up with old bolt seem to have leaked.I didn't realise they were one go only even if only for a few minutes. A new lesson learned now to get all that old oil out of the water system and get the heater working!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.