Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: £533 worse off.  (Read 2572 times)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
Re: £533 worse off.
« Reply #15 on: 23 September 2021, 09:45:47 »

4x Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/45/17........£298
New front discs and pads...................£200
MOT................................................£35

But at least this example of classic British engineering at it's best remains on the road. 8) :o

PS....All four tyres failed on splitting rather than lack of tread. :-\
Surely £533 is more than the sigmund is worth  :-\

Not with used car prices where they currently are.

On Autotrader some are  going for £2000+

My car is the sexy rare and desirable 2.8V6 turbo, so I can name my price for this future classic. :) ::) ::) ::) :P

The farmer who owns the field where I store our caravan has just traded his Range Rover in and got £2,000 more than he paid for it two years ago.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 September 2021, 11:20:43 »

4x Pirelli Cinturato P7 225/45/17........£298
New front discs and pads...................£200
MOT................................................£35

But at least this example of classic British engineering at it's best remains on the road. 8) :o

PS....All four tyres failed on splitting rather than lack of tread. :-\
Surely £533 is more than the sigmund is worth  :-\

Not with used car prices where they currently are.

On Autotrader some are  going for £2000+

My car is the sexy rare and desirable 2.8V6 turbo, so I can name my price for this future classic. :) ::) ::) ::) :P

The farmer who owns the field where I store our caravan has just traded his Range Rover in and got £2,000 more than he paid for it two years ago.

All well and good, but the price for the replacement is likely to have increased proportionately, so really I doubt he will have really benefitted financially from the deal.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 September 2021, 11:53:23 »

Every single Goodyear Eagle that I've owned has split all the way around through the tread band long before the tyre tread depth wears out. I've even posted the photos on here.  It's the very reason that I went back to Michelin. It happened on both Assy 2 and 3. I was happy with the Michelin PS 4S on the Omega so I swapped out the factory fit Bridgestone Pretenders on the Audi's 20" wheels and it transformed it.

Yep....exactly my tyre, and exactly what they failed on. :-\

I also had a set of these Goodyears on my Omega which did exactly the same - splitting in the tread grooves way before the tread itself was down. I also had a set of Dunlops on the same car, and they also did the same, which, according to a tyre fitter I know, is also a common failing of Dunlops too. I have stuck with Michelins ever since. The last set of PS4's I bought for the Omega (235 45 17 97Y's) last year were £422 fitted at ATS, which was a similar and in some cases a cheaper figure than other possibly less 'regarded' makes.
ATS are 'agents' for Michelin so it is worth checking when they have special Michelin discounts on, which in my case saved me approximately £120 compared with quotes for the same tyre at other places.
I use Wanli Ditchfinders at £2.75 a corner and I'm still here.  ;D
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2021, 12:18:37 »

On my last MOT, I got an advisory for small cracks at the very edges of the tread. The tester told me that lots of tyres were cracking slightly now, as the manufacturers have been told to make the compound more environmentally friendly.
Diesel till I die

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2021, 13:07:04 »

I hate to think what the rears on the cat cost (295/30 ZR20)

But if you want to play, you have to pay  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2021, 13:36:50 »

I hate to think what the rears on the cat cost (295/30 ZR20)

But if you want to play, you have to pay  :y

According to Kwik Fit online......£287 for Michelin PS 4S.....and £318 for crappy Dunlop Sport Maxx.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 September 2021, 13:44:17 »

Every single Goodyear Eagle that I've owned has split all the way around through the tread band long before the tyre tread depth wears out. I've even posted the photos on here.  It's the very reason that I went back to Michelin. It happened on both Assy 2 and 3. I was happy with the Michelin PS 4S on the Omega so I swapped out the factory fit Bridgestone Pretenders on the Audi's 20" wheels and it transformed it.

I also had a set of these Goodyears on my Omega which did exactly the same - splitting in the tread grooves way before the tread itself was down. I also had a set of Dunlops on the same car, and they also did the same, which, according to a tyre fitter I know, is also a common failing of Dunlops too. I have stuck with Michelins ever since. The last set of PS4's I bought for the Omega (235 45 17 97Y's) last year were £422 fitted at ATS, which was a similar and in some cases a cheaper figure than other possibly less 'regarded' makes.
ATS are 'agents' for Michelin so it is worth checking when they have special Michelin discounts on, which in my case saved me approximately £120 compared with quotes for the same tyre at other places.
I use Wanli Ditchfinders at £2.75 a corner and I'm still here;D

But Miss Daisy is faster away from the lights than you. :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 September 2021, 13:47:49 »

I also had a set of these Goodyears on my Omega which did exactly the same - splitting in the tread grooves way before the tread itself was down. I also had a set of Dunlops on the same car, and they also did the same, which, according to a tyre fitter I know, is also a common failing of Dunlops too. I have stuck with Michelins ever since. The last set of PS4's I bought for the Omega (235 45 17 97Y's) last year were £422 fitted at ATS, which was a similar and in some cases a cheaper figure
 than other possibly less 'regarded' makes.

Faster away from the lights? At your age?  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 September 2021, 14:11:06 »

I also had a set of these Goodyears on my Omega which did exactly the same - splitting in the tread grooves way before the tread itself was down. I also had a set of Dunlops on the same car, and they also did the same, which, according to a tyre fitter I know, is also a common failing of Dunlops too. I have stuck with Michelins ever since. The last set of PS4's I bought for the Omega (235 45 17 97Y's) last year were £422 fitted at ATS, which was a similar and in some cases a cheaper figure
 than other possibly less 'regarded' makes.

Faster away from the lights? At your age? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thirty four. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 September 2021, 14:13:45 »

.....next birthday. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 September 2021, 14:34:46 »

So considerably less than half your age, old man. :)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 September 2021, 15:33:18 »

You've scratched the jag and merc itch, your sigmund is old, thirsty and expensive to tax.
Just settle down and get yourself a nice Ford Focus or something similar. People won't laugh at you then.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23 September 2021, 15:44:57 »

You've scratched the jag and merc itch, your sigmund is old, thirsty and expensive to tax.
Just settle down and get yourself a nice Ford Focus or something similar. People won't laugh at you then.  ;D

I'll leave the 'old man waiting to die' lifestyle to you. You do it far better than me. :) ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 September 2021, 16:30:40 »

I'll leave the 'old man waiting to die' lifestyle to you. You do it far better than me. :) ;)
Got my eye on a low mileage Freelander2, diesel of course. How's that for old?  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 23 September 2021, 16:36:44 »

Got my eye on a low mileage Freelander2, diesel of course. How's that for old?  ;D

Yep. Diesel till you die. :D

As for me....I'll die before owning a diesel* :y

* unless I can buy one for buttons.

I'm strangely attracted to The Tesla Model S Plaid. :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.