Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Insurance nonsense  (Read 1825 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Insurance nonsense
« on: 27 September 2021, 15:23:50 »

Ok, so I've got a new car - more details once I've picked it up. But what a faff getting insurance.

First step was to visit the broker who my current omega policy is with.

1) Swap the current Omega policy (8 months to run) over to the new car. Cost £165 ??? I only paid a little over £200 for the full year on the Omega.
2) Take out a new policy for the new car. No NCB so - £468 :-[

3) Try the meeercats. £197 (eSure) for a full year, zero no claims.
4) Try direct on the eSure website £157 for a full year, zero no claims.

Is it just me, or is there something wrong when transferring a policy with 15+ years NCB to a newer car with a lower insurance group costs more than a completely new policy with zero NCB.

Gotta buy a rail ticket now to go fetch the wretched thing.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance nonsense
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2021, 15:41:27 »

Why are you using a broker? Surely much easier to do it yourself online?

I can understand people using a mortgage broker if their credit score is not very good, or if there are unusual circumstances, but car insurance?
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2021, 15:47:59 »

Opti will be in suspenders now, he hates not knowing.  ;D
Diesel till I die

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 September 2021, 16:01:10 »

I've been using the same broker since about 1987. It's basically bone idleness, but until today they've been similar prices to online quotes anyway.

My first policy was with Mr (Whacker) Warman in an upstairs office above the shops in the main high street - a cummudgenly old character who always made me laugh. He died in about 1995, and his daughter carried on for a few years (I quite fancied her :-*) , before selling out to another local company whose name I forget. They carried on for a few years from a proper office in a parade of shops. Then about 10 years ago they sold out to Higos, who had a shop in the High street opposite Mr Warman's old hovel.

At the start of the pandemic, Higos closed the shop in Yeovil, but their main office is only 100 yards up the road from where I now work. I like companies I deal with to have an office where I can go in and rant at the staff when necessary. Can't be doing with being passed from pillar to post on some press 1 for this 2 for that phone system. I'll pay a bit extra for the ability to go and rant at someone locally, but I won't pay effectively trebble.
« Last Edit: 27 September 2021, 16:06:21 by LC0112G »

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 September 2021, 16:10:00 »

I've been using the same broker since about 1987. It's basically bone idleness, but until today they've been similar prices to online quotes anyway.

My first policy was with Mr (Whacker) Warman in an upstairs office above the shops in the main high street - a cummudgenly old character who always made me laugh. He died in about 1995, and his daughter carried on for a few years (I quite fancied her :-*) , before selling out to another local company whose name I forget. They carried on for a few years from a proper office in a parade of shops. Then about 10 years ago they sold out to Higos, who had a shop in the High street opposite Mr Warman's old hovel.

At the start of the pandemic, Higos closed the shop in Yeovil, but their main office is only 100 yards up the road from where I now work. I like companies I deal with to have an office where I can go in and rant at the staff when necessary. Can't be doing with being passed from pillar to post on some press 1 for this 2 for that phone system. I'll pay a bit extra for the ability to go and rant at someone locally, but I won't pay effectively trebble.
That's very gentrified and quaint, Malcolm. Makes me want to move to a village, that does.  :)
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 September 2021, 17:19:23 »

The new car is presumably significantly more valuable than the Omega ::)

The extra isn't due to the grouping (set by repair costs/performance/theft protection etc), but rather the value of the new vehicle vs the old one. More vehicle value = higher potential claim value.

Put another way, the risk hasn't changed but the cost of the risk has.
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 September 2021, 17:21:05 »

The extra isn't due to the grouping (set by repair costs/performance/theft protection etc), but rather the value of the new vehicle vs the old one. More vehicle value = higher potential claim value.

Not according to Esure, apparently.  ::)
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 September 2021, 17:24:07 »

I used a local broker for several years for our car insurance & household insurance but the internet put paid to that business.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 September 2021, 17:37:13 »

No shit Sherlock!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 September 2021, 17:52:34 »

I like companies I deal with to have an office where I can go in and rant at the staff when necessary.
I noticed, 30 mins ago, even my local Argos has a sign up that they will prosecute for intimidating behaviour.  Well, if they provided a sensible service via the 2 useless bints, I wouldn't have to point out their deficiencies.

Needless to say, I'll pay the £4 delivery next time, rather than repeat that shit.
Grumpy old man

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2021, 18:02:05 »

No shit Sherlock!  ;D

Unlikey. How can anything be more valuable that a one careful owner Omega. (go on prove that there hasn't been one careful previous owner amongst the previous 4 :D )

My reading of the situation is that it's got bu99er all to do with the cost of repairing your (or the 3rd parties) car/property, and everything to do with the potential injury costs to third parties. Which is why there is virtually no difference between 3PF&T and fully comp insurance.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2021, 18:06:27 »

You'd think that would be the case but it's not in my experience. I used to pay around £260 to insure my 3.2 Omega fully comprehensive. That car would have been worth around £1K, given that it was still a tidy, shiny motor. I paid the same premium for the bmw 430d and that was a £50K car when I bought it new.
On the other hand, which is more in line with Malcolm's findings, Admiral wanted an extra £124 when I swapped the policy from the Omega to the bmw just four months in to the policy. They also did a licence check upon the changeover and found an undeclared speeding offence and stung me an extra £90  ;D, which I'm glad really as then it was legit. So, £260 annual policy for a £1K Omega and £260 annual policy for a £50K bmw.  :-\ 
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 September 2021, 18:10:42 »

I like companies I deal with to have an office where I can go in and rant at the staff when necessary.
I noticed, 30 mins ago, even my local Argos has a sign up that they will prosecute for intimidating behaviour.  Well, if they provided a sensible service via the 2 useless bints, I wouldn't have to point out their deficiencies.

Needless to say, I'll pay the £4 delivery next time, rather than repeat that shit.

I though Brackley was some sort of black hole when it came to deliveries? Burning your bridges is one thing, but standing in the middle and setting fire to both ends probably isn't going to end well.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 September 2021, 19:03:28 »

You'd think that would be the case but it's not in my experience. I used to pay around £260 to insure my 3.2 Omega fully comprehensive. That car would have been worth around £1K, given that it was still a tidy, shiny motor. I paid the same premium for the bmw 430d and that was a £50K car when I bought it new.
On the other hand, which is more in line with Malcolm's findings, Admiral wanted an extra £124 when I swapped the policy from the Omega to the bmw just four months in to the policy. They also did a licence check upon the changeover and found an undeclared speeding offence and stung me an extra £90  ;D, which I'm glad really as then it was legit. So, £260 annual policy for a £1K Omega and £260 annual policy for a £50K bmw.  :-\
Newer cars, especially significantly newer ones have all sorts of design and safety features to make them much safer to crash in and into, significantly reducing the liklihood and therefore cost of injury claims. Also, an Omega is far more likely to written off in even a minor bump... My white one was written off for three stone chips on the A pillar and roof, for example.
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 September 2021, 19:09:12 »

Newer cars, especially significantly newer ones have all sorts of design and safety features to make them much safer to crash in and into, significantly reducing the liklihood and therefore cost of injury claims. Also, an Omega is far more likely to written off in even a minor bump... My white one was written off for three stone chips on the A pillar and roof, for example.
Any structural damage?  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 18 queries.