Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Head gasket?

(1/4) > >>

danzigfan:
Hi guys, my omega has always had some coolant missing, small amounts, nothing serious, but in latest month it became really strange.
Omega had heater core blocked so I did matrix flush and the heat is back. Job jobbed or so I thought...It developed a leak on lower heater hose fast clamp, so I cut plastic piece off and used hose clamp - success....not really...
it started leaking on HBV...replaced it and now it's dry as a bone....but leak transfered to radiator AUX pump, so I removed it and connected both radiator hoses together with a piece of steel pipe...And then leak transfered to fan switch on the top of lower radiator hose...
Strange thing is it only leaks a tiny bit when the engine is cooling down, not being hhot anymore.
What concerns me the most is, when the system is cold, next day after driving, coolant level is an inch low... if I open coolant bottle cap level rises close to max and a sound of pressure is released. Pressure in cold system makes me wonder if there is maybe head gasket problem....
Any help appreciated.
Thanks guys

LC0112G:
You can buy head gasket test kits from eBay for not very much...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284004648824

They're easy to use, and will detect any combustion gasses that end up in the water. The coloured dye starts off blue, and will turn yellow if there are combustion gasses present, like this...

https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=148724.msg1988834#msg1988834

If the dye goes yellow, then you can be pretty certain you've got a head gasket problem.

TheBoy:
Fire ring failure on the v6 is very rare, but certainly no harm in testing, either by smelling for fumes in the coolant tank, or one of the test kits as mentioned above, or get your local garage to use their tester.

danzigfan:
Thanks, will give a try

cam.in.head:
also worth trying a new cap in case either of the valves are stuck ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version