Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I did my cam cover gasket today!  (Read 2648 times)

Taxi_Driver

Re: I did my cam cover gasket today!
« Reply #15 on: 03 January 2007, 17:04:21 »

Dont worry about the oil colour to much......check out the head cast surface.....if thats clean its been well maintained (which it is)

Im pleased with that  :)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #16 on: 03 January 2007, 17:18:24 »

Stopped a Halfrauds on the way home and bought a 6 led torch (stanley one that incorporates a tripod....so will come in handy for other jobs) also bought an inspection mirror.

Had a close look at the gasket seal with the torch....on rhs.....not a drip in site  :) Used the mirror and torch to check at the back of engine....still couldnt see a drip  :) Carnt see lhs......too much in the way  :( And thats after its done 320 miles today  :)

Will pull the coil pack out at the weekend to check the plug wells.....hopefully they will still be clean too :y
« Last Edit: 03 January 2007, 17:20:47 by Taxi_Driver »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 January 2007, 17:53:25 »

Stopped a Halfrauds on the way home and bought a 6 led torch (stanley one that incorporates a tripod....so will come in handy for other jobs) also bought an inspection mirror.

Had a close look at the gasket seal with the torch....on rhs.....not a drip in site  :) Used the mirror and torch to check at the back of engine....still couldnt see a drip  :) Carnt see lhs......too much in the way  :( And thats after its done 320 miles today  :)

Will pull the coil pack out at the weekend to check the plug wells.....hopefully they will still be clean too :y

Jobs a good 'un :y
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03 January 2007, 18:55:03 »

:y
Grumpy old man

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03 January 2007, 22:14:51 »

Damn, wish the V6 was as easy as that :O

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152564281

Good job, hope it cures the original problem :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03 January 2007, 22:17:52 »

Paul, the V6 isn't too bad.  Usual thing, a little fiddly (esp pasenger side), and an extra pair of hands would help....
Grumpy old man

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #21 on: 03 January 2007, 22:31:25 »

Jobs a good 'un :y

Hopefully AA  :y

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 January 2007, 01:34:39 »

Paul, the V6 isn't too bad.  Usual thing, a little fiddly (esp pasenger side), and an extra pair of hands would help....

Unfortunately doing any DIY on my car is extremely time consuming these days as I'd have to factor in travelling to my parents' house (75 miles each way) as I have neither the tools nor the garage at my place.

I also get easily frustrated when working on cars (something always seems to go wrong, like the last bolt being seized etc) which makes it even harder to finish the job as I'm too worked up lol. So I tend to just try and find people competent enough to do the job on my behalf for a reasonable price.

Unfortunately for this type of job it seems you need someone with Omega experience who'll put the sealant in the right places etc, and there aren't many Omega savvy garages around me other than VX ones (who are probably worse than inexperienced independents). I'll look into it soon though!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 January 2007, 11:51:46 »

Well done taxi driver did the same job to two 2.0s before xmas had done the job previous on mine but made the mistake of using the green goo and and once the cover was off you could definately see the other stuff just wasn't up for the job it turned brown and hard and was very brittle.

I must admit I may have gone overkill on how much sealant I bought but originally the VX parts guy tried to sell me the green stuff but i stuck to my guns and got the black goo.

The Vx guy was saying the green stuff was for the rocker cover and the black was used for the sump pan. But like I say i used the recommended so fingers crossed i shouldn't have any more problems.

Good to hear its worked out for you :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #24 on: 04 January 2007, 18:06:43 »

Well done taxi driver did the same job to two 2.0s before xmas had done the job previous on mine but made the mistake of using the green goo and and once the cover was off you could definately see the other stuff just wasn't up for the job it turned brown and hard and was very brittle.

I must admit I may have gone overkill on how much sealant I bought but originally the VX parts guy tried to sell me the green stuff but i stuck to my guns and got the black goo.

The Vx guy was saying the green stuff was for the rocker cover and the black was used for the sump pan. But like I say i used the recommended so fingers crossed i shouldn't have any more problems.

Cheers  :y

I just asked for the black stuff when i bought the gasket.....parts guy just produced the tube....strange tho in the box was a funny type tool......not quite sure what that was for....and the pamplet said not for sale to the general public  :o

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 January 2007, 10:47:00 »

Cheers  :y

I just asked for the black stuff when i bought the gasket.....parts guy just produced the tube....strange tho in the box was a funny type tool......not quite sure what that was for....and the pamplet said not for sale to the general public  :o

Was the extra tool T shaped only if this is the same as what I have I put it on the end and twisted supposed to help get the goo out the tube, worked for me.  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #26 on: 05 January 2007, 17:29:01 »

It was a T type tool......tho i just pierced the top of the tube, cut the end off the nozzle screwd on and squeezed the tube.

I expect the goo woud have gone hard when i need to use it again, so will need a new tube......but can see what its for now .... cheers  :y
« Last Edit: 05 January 2007, 17:30:56 by Taxi_Driver »
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 19 queries.