Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Brown sludge bubbling from header tank  (Read 2627 times)

Nathv6

• hemel hempstead
  • mvoc.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brown sludge bubbling from header tank
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2007, 20:08:44 »

im having simalar problem on my mv6 where can an oil cooler b bought from apart from vx ? and what is involved n the proces of changing

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2007, 20:30:13 »

Rob and mv6 i would go and get the oil cooler from vx as the part wil be coverd by their parts warrenty and god forbid you have a problem in the next 12 months then vx pay to have it fixed, just my opinion of course. PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT THE HEAD GASKETS RARELY FAIL ON THE V6 AND DEALERS ARE NOT THE BEST AT DIAGNOSTICS, SO BEWARE. Your mechanic should change the oil cooler first then flush the system, and remove the rad and back flush to get as much out as poss. To fully clean the system i used a low foam washing detergent in the water then ran the engine for 20 min  fAST IDLE then flush again, refill  then more detergent, flush untill the system is clean. this may take a good week of this flushing.YOUR MAIN PROBLEM MAY BE GETTING THE RAD CLEAR,so be prepared to replace. Also when you drain the system, unless you remove the water pump, you only drain about 50% of the water so that means you have to do more flushes. :(
« Last Edit: 24 October 2007, 20:31:28 by ffcgary1 »
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Rob_G

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2007, 21:24:02 »

Thanks gary will try , heres hoping

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 October 2007, 00:19:36 »

£1500 for a 2002 V6?

BARGAIN!

Change this cooler, maybe the Rad, and the jobs a goodun.

Don't mess about with seeking compensation for that money, it's a reasonably easy fix and TBH, at auction, for that price, you pays your money and takes your chance.

2002 models go for more than that as spares/accident damaged.... so you got a GOOD deal.

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 October 2007, 12:23:50 »

Explain what you mean by safe mode please.

Engine turning slowly >> battery flat.

Very unlikely to have blown headgaskets or damaged heads unless its been driven far when overheating.
I would replace the heat exchanger, flush out the cooling system and see how it runs.

davlad22

• Omega Knight
  • Sunny Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 October 2007, 14:10:08 »

That is a bargain! Estate as well so will hold its value and will be worth about double that in the marketplace  :y

The guys on here are very knowledgeable so keep popping back. You may even be able to tackle the problem yourself with some guidance.

I also know a number of the guys buy problem omegas with commonly failed oil coolers to do up and sell on as projects  ;D  ::) It often leads people to selling their car rather than having it fixed because garage has diagnosed incorrectly. Best of luck.

theowletman

• Chester-le-street, Co. Durham
  • Mines a pint !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 October 2007, 15:57:56 »

Rob G
I have been in the motor trade for 20 years, buying and selling at auction and from our family garage. If you take my advice you will not waste your time pursuing an auction house. Trading standards have given you incorrect advice, a cooling problem does not render a vehicle unroadworthy,  unuseable perhaps, but not unroadworthy,tyres, lights, brakes, steering and suspension etc. do. Read the back of your receipt and also the terms and conditions displayed all around the auction, which you accept just by being on their premises and bidding for a car. The car sounds cheap enough and if the rest of the car is OK my best advice is to concentrate on the cooling problem. Unless the car was sold with a 1 hour mechanical warranty or with a BCA engineers report you are throwing your time and money away. You elected to buy at an auction to save yourself money, the same car would have been double the price at a reputable dealer and you would have had some comeback, the repair cost will still leave you quids in.Remember the golden rule, if something is cheap there is a reason for it. I am not trying to sound pompous but we sell 10 / 12 cars a week and we get it wrong as well, and guess where we send our problem cars? Guess where almost all garages send their problem cars? The previous owner of your Omega has probably traded it in to a dealer, and the dealer has sent it to auction. Sorry mate but I wish you the very best of luck. All the excellent help and advice in this forum should have your car running again shortly.

Nathv6

• hemel hempstead
  • mvoc.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 November 2007, 20:22:59 »

i dont supose any one on here has a second hand 3.0 oil cooler and rad have they????

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 November 2007, 20:32:56 »

DONT recconmend second hand oil cooler. Is your motor auto or man. 3.0 or 2.6 :-?
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

MutantCav

• Omega Baron
  • Gainsborough
  • Smoke me a kipper - I'll be back for Breakfast
    • View Profile
    • Free Giffgaff Sim With £5 Free Credit
« Reply #24 on: 02 November 2007, 20:48:13 »

Oil cooler...£80-100...3 hours labour max to change...shouldnt need anything else doing...but worth doing cam belt etc while your at it...as stated dont bother with 2nd hand oil cooler, not worth it.
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/tvpromo Get a free giffgaff sim running on O2 network
£5 free credit on first top-up
£5 gives you 60 mins, 300 texts & unltd calls and texts to anyone else on giffgaff

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 November 2007, 21:07:41 »

I must admit to being a bit concerned that it won't start now. Oil cooler failure is a certainty as mentioned but I'd be inclined to do a few more basic checks before doing any work on it.

Was it running OK when you did drive it? No misfire? Plenty of power?

I'd charge the battery and see if it'll start. If not it's worth checking for trouble codes I'd say. Oil cooler will result in contamination of the coolant but not a failure to start.

When you're doing the oil cooler, do the cam belt and tensioners, change the water pump, check the breathers are clear and check the plug wells are clear of oil as a minimum. These are all necessary on an Omega that's potentially been neglected. Fill with a 50/50 mixture of vx red coolant.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 November 2007, 09:26:26 »

Rob G
I have been in the motor trade for 20 years, buying and selling at auction and from our family garage. If you take my advice you will not waste your time pursuing an auction house. Trading standards have given you incorrect advice, a cooling problem does not render a vehicle unroadworthy,  unuseable perhaps, but not unroadworthy,tyres, lights, brakes, steering and suspension etc. do. Read the back of your receipt and also the terms and conditions displayed all around the auction, which you accept just by being on their premises and bidding for a car. The car sounds cheap enough and if the rest of the car is OK my best advice is to concentrate on the cooling problem. Unless the car was sold with a 1 hour mechanical warranty or with a BCA engineers report you are throwing your time and money away. You elected to buy at an auction to save yourself money, the same car would have been double the price at a reputable dealer and you would have had some comeback, the repair cost will still leave you quids in.Remember the golden rule, if something is cheap there is a reason for it. I am not trying to sound pompous but we sell 10 / 12 cars a week and we get it wrong as well, and guess where we send our problem cars? Guess where almost all garages send their problem cars? The previous owner of your Omega has probably traded it in to a dealer, and the dealer has sent it to auction. Sorry mate but I wish you the very best of luck. All the excellent help and advice in this forum should have your car running again shortly.
These comments are exactly what inexperienced 'layman car mechanics' like me and hundreds of others on this forum find of great help, if only to confirm that our gut feelings about these situations are not a million miles wide of the mark. Thanks Owletman!
And, Rob-G, patience and persistance will crack this problem, I'm sure.
Cheers,
Bill.

Nathv6

• hemel hempstead
  • mvoc.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 November 2007, 21:20:59 »

ill buy a new oil cooler is any one near me that would b willing to fit it ??? obviously with pay?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.