Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GK's whinging again...  (Read 1322 times)

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
GK's whinging again...
« on: 12 February 2020, 18:50:35 »

I apologise if this is hard to read, I just need a rant. MrsGK has buggered off to the gym because she's sick of me throwing my toys out of the pram and the dog's too deaf to listen...

Took the ex-plod and the vRS for four-wheel alignment. A place that have seen the Omegas before and set them up absolutely spot on to the recommended settings. Rang yesterday and had them both booked in for the morning, intending to drop one or both off and head off to the parents' for a cheeky cuppa.

Apparently they've forgotten how good they were... It started well -  MrsGK took the vRS to the door for 8. Youth wipes away his milk moustache and points at the car. "That isn't booked in".
 I pull up next to him in Zeke - "that one is booked in, if I get that done I'll see how busy we are for when to do the vRS." "Right" says I. "These are the settings. I accept there was a coffee spilling incident en route, but you can still read them. The ones I have asterisked are absolutely vital". "Yup, that's fine" said the youth,. "It'll be done in about an hour so head up just after 9".

Head back there. Zeke still very much not off the ramp. Stick my head in and find a completely different member of staff under the front end, spanner in hand. Youth nowhere to be seen. Presumably they'd taken him outside and sacrificed him to the gods of Vlogging and Clearasil. "How's it going?" "It's nearly done, people forget how long it takes to adjust these old cars cos there's more joints so it's knocking me back for the day".
Not my problem thinks I, I told them exactly what it was and how awkward I knew it would be. "How close have you got to the settings I gave you?" "..." "..." "...what settings?" "The ones I passed to your young chap, he assured me you'd get it bob on" "I haven't got them, I've just been getting them into the green, the computer tells me it's right".

GK at this point gives the chap a Paddington Bear stare. "I even told him, Omegas are fussy and the manufacturers are way off". "Well, you've spilt coffee all over the list of settings so I couldn't read them anyway".

Now, I know I spot liars for a living, but it wasn't hard to catch him out regarding knowing the settings were there. "Why did you think I bothered scribbling them down then?" "Er, er, he never told me that you wanted them". "No, you're right. I like to write out lists of numbers for fun. Tomorrow I've got a new phone book coming, I can pretend that I'm Carol Vorderman" is what I nearly said. What I actually said was "Let's have a look at how close you are then". "Look, it's green, it's fine". "But I need the camber at 1'10'' "It's close enough, it's green".

Cue apoplexy. "No, fella. Over 3 degrees is not close enough to 1 degree 10. Unless you're trying to drum up business and get me in for front tyres every 2k miles". At which point his attitude became smug... "Well. That's as much adjustment as I can get on the camber. Look, there's no way to adjust it".

"...let me think for a minute... have you undone the bolts on the strut where it meets the hub, and adjusted the wheel from there?"... Smug look wiped off PDQ. "Oh, is that how you do it?" "Yes. Yes it is." He duly sets to and starts actually doing the adjustments.

Now, I not only tell people off and drive like a maniac, I also do a bit of detailing and a bit of mechanicing, mainly for myself and friends. And I bloody well hate it when someone is looking over me and telling me how to do it. But I gave him over an hour to not be an ignoramus, and then he... ignored... a crucial bit of information. And I was polite and friendly throughout. So I don't feel bad about sticking my head him and telling him what to do with the car... because I'm paying good money and I expect it done to the standard I agreed beforehand.

As it happens, he decided 1 degree 30 was as close as he could get it, and I was on the verge of shouting at him going and telling MrsGK so she could shout at him, she's much scarier than me. So we negotiated a suitably low cost for the work that he had done, on the grounds of it being sufficient to keep the car out of the scenery for the time being. It'll be needing tyres before long at which point I'll go somewhere where the staff are blessed with the power of sight.

I then decided I wasn't going to let him anywhere near the vRS. Took it for a quick tracking check at my favourite tyre fitters (who don't do 4-wheel, sadly) - and they discovered that the front spring was snapped at the very bottom. Need the car for tomorrow and I lack the skills, patience and skills to change the spring on it, because it was designed by an imbecile. So that's in the garage and I'm taking a courtesy car instead... Bloody old cars. Who'd have them?
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: GK's whinging again...
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2020, 19:42:02 »

Sounds a bit similar to an experience I had at two branches of a Europit here in Essex, although they took most of the paint of my front wheels, while completely failing to adjust anything to anywhere near the correct figures. Then gave me the old "those wheels were like that when it came in here mate" routine. Things got a bit heated after that.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2020, 20:26:20 »

Unrelated, but we are trying to find builders at the moment for a house renovation. So far I've written off three of them due to them either a) not being able to follow basic instructions b) treating me like an imbecile when I try to explain something, followed by some furious back-peddling when they realise I am not one.  ::)

Seems like morons appear regularly in all walks of life, you have my sympathy!

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2020, 20:46:54 »

part of the training to be a builder is to learn to be really condescending  ;D
follow YOUR simple instructions  :o  ;D :D
we play this song on the way from jobs  :y

Good luck with your search for a reliable builder though  :y
there are some very good ones , and some ******  ::)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2020, 21:03:26 »

part of the training to be a builder is to learn to be really condescending  ;D
follow YOUR simple instructions  :o  ;D :D
we play this song on the way from jobs  :y
Ha! Don't get me wrong, this isn't telling them how to do their job, were in the realms of:
Email chain:
"when can we do a site visit?"
"I'm available these days this week and these days next week. We need a garage conversion doing plus a 2 storey side extension. Here's the plans and building regs pack so you can see what we actually want doing"
" Can you do [different day this week]? Also, we'll need some drawings of what the project looks like"
"...."

Good luck with your search for a reliable builder though  :y
there are some very good ones , and some ******  ::)

No different to any walk of life. I once had a guy try to quote me £3k to skim a 15' x 20' ceiling. He was quite offended when I told him where to go, and what to do when he got there...

Back on topic, I think you were rather restrained GK, the point where I catch someone in a lie is usually the point where things go south at a very rapid rate off knotts
« Last Edit: 12 February 2020, 21:05:32 by Jimmy944 »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2020, 22:14:20 »

GK.     And....                Breath....  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2020, 10:39:34 »

Email chain:
"when can we do a site visit?"
"I'm available these days this week and these days next week. We need a garage conversion doing plus a 2 storey side extension. Here's the plans and building regs pack so you can see what we actually want doing"
" Can you do [different day this week]? Also, we'll need some drawings of what the project looks like"
"...."

Nobody actually reads emails anymore - I've noticed this at work and outside of work (I'm reliably informed it's the same where you work - not you, specifically ;D).. people read the first sentence and then apparently they drift off into la la land and send a reply asking for the information you already supplied in the second sentence.

Drives me absolutely bonkers.

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2020, 10:40:10 »

He can't, he's already given himself an aneurism by this point!

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2020, 11:16:06 »

He can't, he's already given himself an aneurism by this point!

Jeez lets hope his next OOF appearance isn't in the Dead Person thread! ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.