Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cruise enabled - Birmingham/Solihull  (Read 1737 times)

wormnroller

• Solihull
  • It must say how to fix it somewhere in here!!
    • View Profile
Cruise enabled - Birmingham/Solihull
« on: 30 October 2006, 18:16:17 »

For those who own facelift Omega's this may be of some help.

I bough and fitted a used cruise control stalk to my 2000 X reg 2.2CD Omega saloon.
I took it to a vauxhall main dealer service centre in Yardley Birmingham (there's only one so it's easy to find out who they are) and it cost me £53.46p to have cruise control enabled.  This may not be the cheapest but they only had the car for a coupe of hours and I now have a very smooth cruise control facility on my lovely 'Meega.   ;D :y ;)

To reitterate the existing information on this site, Facelift Omega's only need the stalk fitting and cruise enabled with Tech 2 equipment. Nothing else is needed because the electrics are already fitted to the car as standard. The stalk I fitted to my car had the additional small 4 pin plug loom attached. It was a little awkward to find the small socket to plug the stalk loom into 'cause it was tucked in behind the stalk site main body and need to be fished out a little.  It took about 10 minutes to fit the stalk and the only tool needed was a medium length cross head screwdriver for the 5 screws (three underneath the steering cowling and one to either side of the steering wheel with a plastic cap concealing them. Accessed by turning the steering. It's also handy to unscrew the steering adjustment lever and remove the two halves of the plastic cowling. I checked that all normal functions (indicators etc) were working before putting the cowling back on. Sorted.

Total cost to get cruise up and running was £75. Well worth it me thinks........

Worm

Gwilym

• Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Cruise enabled - Birmingham/Solihull
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2006, 18:18:07 »

Did you buy the cruise stalk new or from ebay etc

White '00 3.0 MV6 Estate (Ex Met Police Firearms Car)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2006, 18:20:53 »

For those who own facelift Omega's this may be of some help.

I bough and fitted a used cruise control stalk to my 2000 X reg 2.2CD Omega saloon.
I took it to a vauxhall main dealer service centre in Yardley Birmingham (there's only one so it's easy to find out who they are) and it cost me £53.46p to have cruise control enabled.  This may not be the cheapest but they only had the car for a coupe of hours and I now have a very smooth cruise control facility on my lovely 'Meega.   ;D :y ;)

To reitterate the existing information on this site, Facelift Omega's only need the stalk fitting and cruise enabled with Tech 2 equipment. Nothing else is needed because the electrics are already fitted to the car as standard. The stalk I fitted to my car had the additional small 4 pin plug loom attached. It was a little awkward to find the small socket to plug the stalk loom into 'cause it was tucked in behind the stalk site main body and need to be fished out a little.  It took about 10 minutes to fit the stalk and the only tool needed was a medium length cross head screwdriver for the 5 screws (three underneath the steering cowling and one to either side of the steering wheel with a plastic cap concealing them. Accessed by turning the steering. It's also handy to unscrew the steering adjustment lever and remove the two halves of the plastic cowling. I checked that all normal functions (indicators etc) were working before putting the cowling back on. Sorted.

Total cost to get cruise up and running was £75. Well worth it me thinks........

Worm
I'm cheaper for members here, if they are close to me ;)

Just to clarify your post a little...

Drive by wire Omegas only need stalk, clutch switch (seems a 50:50 chance that may already be fitted) and ECU enabled via Tech2.

Non drive by wires, including early facelifts, do not need enabling, but do need all the gubbins that fits in engine bay...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2006, 18:22:30 »

Having just worn out my 3rd ebay cruise stalk, I have ordered a brand new one from dealer. They are £31 + VAT retail, £28 + VAT trade, which makes some of the silly ebay prices lately seem over priced.
Grumpy old man

wormnroller

• Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2006, 18:31:22 »

The stalk cost me £15 plus VAT plus postage from a salvage yard, initial contact via emails then by phone. (The salvage yard has already been mentioned on this site)

It seems they've had a run on Omega cruise control stalk sales recently..... :o

worm

wormnroller

• Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2006, 18:34:51 »

I should have mentioned that my 2000 X Reg CD saloon is an Automatic transmission. Perhaps someone can advise whether the clutch switch is of any consequence when fitting a stalk to an auto. :-?

worm

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2006, 18:35:40 »

The stalk cost me £15 plus VAT plus postage from a salvage yard, initial contact via emails then by phone. (The salvage yard has already been mentioned on this site)

It seems they've had a run on Omega cruise control stalk sales recently..... :o

worm
What appears to happen with cruise stalks is they wear out a bit quicker (due to extra weight of cruise stalk) and this causes it to play havoc with headlight full beam.  The 1st one I had, every time I braked, its flashed the headlights  :-[

Hence why I decided to buy brand new...

The last one lasted a good 18 months, so hopefully yours will last as long, if not longer...
Grumpy old man

wormnroller

• Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2006, 18:42:50 »

Had I bothered to find out the cost of  a new cruise control stalk, I would probably have gone for that option too.  Ah well, fingers crossed.

It may be a false economy having had the cruise stalk fitted because 'she who must be obeyed' now wants a weekend away. She pushed home the advantage saying that I can test the cruise control on the motorway on our way there.
Oh I suppose so...... if we must......but only for you dearest ........;D

worm

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2006, 18:46:18 »

Had I bothered to find out the cost of  a new cruise control stalk, I would probably have gone for that option too.  Ah well, fingers crossed.

It may be a false economy having had the cruise stalk fitted because 'she who must be obeyed' now wants a weekend away. She pushed home the advantage saying that I can test the cruise control on the motorway on our way there.
Oh I suppose so...... if we must......but only for you dearest ........;D

worm
LOL
Grumpy old man

Gwilym

• Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2006, 19:18:30 »

Having just worn out my 3rd ebay cruise stalk, I have ordered a brand new one from dealer. They are £31 + VAT retail, £28 + VAT trade, which makes some of the silly ebay prices lately seem over priced.

Might order one then if they are that cheap

White '00 3.0 MV6 Estate (Ex Met Police Firearms Car)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2006, 19:27:27 »

Driving back from Derby last week, mine got so bad, I've had to put a non cruise stalk on  >:(
Grumpy old man

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 October 2006, 21:31:40 »

Mine's been on and working constantly (I use it everywhere) for about 18 months.

Got it 2nd hand from www.leavalleymotors.co.uk for about £20.

No problems as yet, although I do still have the old one just in case!
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

mar892ree

• Northampton
  • if it dont undo, hit it wiv an hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2006, 15:55:43 »

Driving back from Derby last week, mine got so bad, I've had to put a non cruise stalk on  >:(

LLOLLLLL good old boy Jamie, changing the cruise stak whilst driving , now i am immpressed LLOOLL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 October 2006, 18:05:35 »

LLOLLLLL good old boy Jamie, changing the cruise stak whilst driving , now i am immpressed LLOOLL ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :y
Told you it was an easy job ;)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.