Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Idling/cutting out issue  (Read 707 times)

Dingleberry

• Portsmouth
    • View Profile
Idling/cutting out issue
« on: 09 April 2009, 17:46:40 »

Car in question is a 1999 3.0 MV6 Auto

When i bought it the previous owner experienced none starting and cutting out, crank sensor was diagnosed and supplied with the car, i fitted it couple of days after i purchased it.

The problem im having is when i get stuck in traffic/traffic lights for a period of time the idle starts to fluctuate really quickly up and down, when you try and pull away it just tries to die out as if it was running out of fuel, sometimes cutting out and taking an age to restart, it is also idling really low 400-500rpm i took the crank sensor out again and cleaned it but no difference, put a known working ICV on which helped the idle for a few days then it went back down to 400-500rpm, sometimes it even does it when its just sat idling outside the house.  :-?

albitz

Re: Idling/cutting out issue
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2009, 17:56:34 »

Vacuum leak? could try spraying some carb cleaner around pipes,if revs rise then you have found a leak.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2009, 19:52:31 »

And/or give the complete breather system a total clean-out!
« Last Edit: 09 April 2009, 19:53:16 by Reliance505 »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Dingleberry

• Portsmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2009, 20:46:13 »

Ok well before i got a chance to have a look the radiator went  >:(

Whilst i had the rad off i noticed 2 vacumm pipes that run to a box near the alternator had been severed, when the new rad went in a replaced these, idle was better for a little bit then it dropped back down to 400-500rpm so low that it doesnt even "creep" in D or R  :-/  I noticed also that when the climate control/air con is switched on the revs dont rise at all it just stays the same ?  :-[

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2009, 21:12:43 »

The two pipes you sound like your refering too are vac pipes to the box which is a vac tank. Like already said look at all the vac pipes to see if you have an air leak.
If the air con has had a leak or doesn't have enough pressure in it the air con pump wont kick in which will cause the revs to lift to around 600rpm.
It maybe an idea to check your Gearbox oil as it sounds you have an auto, it may sound daft but another member of the forum had a nightmare trying to find why his car would not tick over nicely turned out he needed 1.5 litres of gearbox oil :o
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Dingleberry

• Portsmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2009, 13:41:15 »

Breathers cleaned out today and vac pipes checked for leaks there arent any leaks and eveything else is fine, However i did a few tests (pulling out plugs seeing what happens)

If i pull out the plug which comes after the air filter the revs rise by about 50rpm but i get the EM light ?

Unplugging the ICV makes the revs rise by 100rpm but if i rev it the idle goes to pot as expected  :D

Next thing i took the black cover off from the throttle linkage and turned the idle up using the little screw, i know its not a fix but surely it will be ok until i get this sorted, fotunatley i marked the original position of said screw  :y  

And finally, now i have turned the idle up a little (100rpm) as soon as the cooling fan comes on the idle goes to pot again and the engine judders to a stop and restarting is a pain in the arse, could this be cause ive turned the idle up manually ?  ::)

Dingleberry

• Portsmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 April 2009, 06:11:47 »

:( :(

Dingleberry

• Portsmouth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2009, 18:06:11 »

Seems i may have sorted it, after a hint via PM that it may be the MAF i popped to the scrapyard and robbed another omega of its MAF, installed it and it seems to have worked idle is sat around 650rpm, time will tell if it has fixed the problem i was having  :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.