Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto dimming mirror  (Read 3056 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Auto dimming mirror
« on: 27 January 2008, 13:57:59 »

Have tried to fit my newly bought auto dimming mirror this morning and am a bit puzzled by the wiring required.
The mirror has a large plug on the back with several connections and different clours of wiring.As my car is 1998 elite(but has sports leather seats without memory and only standard mirror)hoped that the wiring would be in place .
Whe I removed the interior light all I could find was a female white plug with two wires going into it..brown/white and  black .the plug was fitted to the inside of the sunroof switch trim with a small push in trim clip.I was hoping to find a purpose wired connector so that it would plug straight into the mirror..no such luck.
Can anybody guide me as to what I need or do I just need an extra section of wire from a breaker ?If not is it just a connection into the white plug and then just 2 wires into the mirror.
Hope that all makes sense

Tafty

• Liverpool
  • This week I am no longer the owner of a miggy!! :(
    • View Profile
Re: Auto dimming mirror
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2008, 15:51:46 »

I had similar problems to yours - I ended up getting connectors that can be piggy backed  - got mine from halfrauds - I then connected to the pos + and neg - of my sunroof - Though If I remember correctly the wiring was a bit bizarre with the black being positive and brown being Neg/Ground  . Follow Hilpers guide and will see you through :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2008, 16:20:52 »

Thanks Tafty..expect the white plug I am referring to is + and grnd,but as you said colours are strange so will put a test light on..my main issue was the pin connectors on back of the mirror and if you could buy small enough pin fittings..saw Hilpers guide which is great..he used computer connections so may look at Maplins for a bit of pre wired cable

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2008, 21:15:31 »

..... Though If I remember correctly the wiring was a bit bizarre with the black being positive and brown being Neg/Ground  . Follow Hilpers guide and will see you through :y

Usuall Vx wiring.
Black being ignition switched live
Red .... permanant live
Brown .... ground as you say.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2008, 21:27:48 »

Andy B..any idea what the white plug I found under the headlining is for then..has 2 wires only..assume as wires seem to match as suggested will be ok to just connect up ??but could do with the section of wire with plug

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2008, 21:29:29 »

Andy B..any idea what the white plug I found under the headlining is for then..has 2 wires only..assume as wires seem to match as suggested will be ok to just connect up ??but could do with the section of wire with plug
You won't have any suitable connectors up there unless yours was fitted with memory seats.

3 connections can be made from courtesy light, 4th from passenger kick panel
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2008, 21:34:59 »

TB..why do I need 3 ..don,t I need just feed from ignition and ground ?Hilpers guide does indicate can connect to reversing light but hardly seems worth it..Also what is the 2 wire connector with the white female plug for then ??any ideas

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2008, 21:38:26 »

TB..why do I need 3 ..don,t I need just feed from ignition and ground ?Hilpers guide does indicate can connect to reversing light but hardly seems worth it..Also what is the 2 wire connector with the white female plug for then ??any ideas
The connector you have found is nothing to do with it. If yours didn't have the factory fitted memory seats, you don't have the required loom. So improvise off the courtesy light.

3rd wire is to prevent dimming if courtesy light on.

Reverse wire is a safety feature so you can still use mirror when reversing without it dipping.
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2008, 21:45:56 »

But Hilpers guide only shows 2 wires.which colours do I connect to which colours on interior light.his only shows red/black...also where does the reversing connection go..seems that colour is pink on mirror but where do I connect the wire that I feed down to passenger kick-panel .Thought this was a simple "plug,n,play.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2008, 21:50:33 »

But Hilpers guide only shows 2 wires.which colours do I connect to which colours on interior light.his only shows red/black...also where does the reversing connection go..seems that colour is pink on mirror but where do I connect the wire that I feed down to passenger kick-panel .Thought this was a simple "plug,n,play.
Autodip mirror is not plug and play. A small amount of work required.

From courtesy light you can give switched live, light on, and 0v.  From passenger footwell you can get the reverse.

Hilpers guide lists the colours on the mirror loom, but be aware there are multiple wires with same colour, and they are not interchangable!
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 January 2008, 21:59:30 »

So just to clarrify..3 connectionsrequired to mirror for it to function...1 is permenant live...1 is switched live with ignition..1 is ground..?is that correct ?? then if reversing feature required wiring down to kick plate

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 January 2008, 22:00:42 »

So just to clarrify..3 connectionsrequired to mirror for it to function...1 is permenant live...1 is switched live with ignition..1 is ground..?is that correct ?? then if reversing feature required wiring down to kick plate
switched 12v
0v
'light on' signal
reversing signal

1st 3 from courtest light
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 January 2008, 22:09:32 »

Sorry to be a bit fick..do you mean "light on" signal as 12 volts permenant on.I am ok with the rest now

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 January 2008, 22:23:49 »

Doh! It's been a loong day!  :-[  :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2008, 07:59:41 »

Tell the truth it has been a looooong month,have worked every day since 1st jan and a bit tired..but that is another story.
Hillpers guide ,which would seem to be the definitive set of instructions,only mentions a switched +12volt and a ground.It clearly shows 2 wires being connected from mirror and the same 2 being connected to the sunroof plug.
So why do I need to make 3 connections excluding the reversing light option should I wish to include this ?
Does the mirror require a constant unswitched 12 volt + as well as a switched ignition as well,Dont want to connect up and blow or damage circuit so would like to be totally certain.

NickA

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2008, 17:19:53 »

Tell the truth it has been a looooong month,have worked every day since 1st jan and a bit tired..but that is another story.
Hillpers guide ,which would seem to be the definitive set of instructions,only mentions a switched +12volt and a ground.It clearly shows 2 wires being connected from mirror and the same 2 being connected to the sunroof plug.
So why do I need to make 3 connections excluding the reversing light option should I wish to include this ?
Does the mirror require a constant unswitched 12 volt + as well as a switched ignition as well,Dont want to connect up and blow or damage circuit so would like to be totally certain.

No, it doesn't need constant unswitched 12 volts or it'll be autodipping when cars pass it and you're not it.

It needs 12 Volt ignition switched, and an earth connection. Yes you can fit it with only this and earth, but to do a proper job it needs another 12 volts to show the interior light is on and a connector to the reversing lights.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2008, 17:49:31 »

Thanks NickA..I now understand why the 12v + permenant is required,so as to avoid dipping everytime the interior light comes on ..assume that is correct.?
Only other connection is then to run a wire down to the passenger kick panel and connect into the reversing light wire?..does this just connect to the wire from gear lever to back of car.
Finally it sounds like I can get the 12v + and the 12v ignition and the earth all from the interior light.
Hope I have understood all your advise and very sorry to sound so silly but want to be sure of what I need and how it all connects up

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 January 2008, 19:22:33 »

Thanks NickA..I now understand why the 12v + permenant is required,so as to avoid dipping everytime the interior light comes on ..assume that is correct.?
Only other connection is then to run a wire down to the passenger kick panel and connect into the reversing light wire?..does this just connect to the wire from gear lever to back of car.
Finally it sounds like I can get the 12v + and the 12v ignition and the earth all from the interior light.
Hope I have understood all your advise and very sorry to sound so silly but want to be sure of what I need and how it all connects up
No permenent 12v!!!

The mirror will work with just a ign/switched 12v and 0v if you want to bodge it, but I'm sure your Omega deserves a proper job.
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2008, 21:39:02 »

TB. I agree and I have no intention of any form of bodge on my cars let alone my omega.
I just want to fully understand what connections I need to make on the upgrade for an auto dip mirror.
I have read Hillpers guide and it only ever mention the need for 2 connections..1 to be a positive ignition feed //the other to be earth.
The confusionI am now in, has now arisen with the addition of another 12 volt +feed .Why do I need this and is it another ignition feed or permenant (always on)
My electrical knowledge of cars is limited and I wish to attempt and succeed with a sound and working solution..that is why I have raised the questions.
So far I am happy with picking up a ignition switched +and an earth from the interior light.The wire down to the kick panel should be ok,just a bit of removal and refit,but I am struggling with this other connection  

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2008, 21:43:16 »

TB. I agree and I have no intention of any form of bodge on my cars let alone my omega.
I just want to fully understand what connections I need to make on the upgrade for an auto dip mirror.
I have read Hillpers guide and it only ever mention the need for 2 connections..1 to be a positive ignition feed //the other to be earth.
The confusionI am now in, has now arisen with the addition of another 12 volt +feed .Why do I need this and is it another ignition feed or permenant (always on)
My electrical knowledge of cars is limited and I wish to attempt and succeed with a sound and working solution..that is why I have raised the questions.
So far I am happy with picking up a ignition switched +and an earth from the interior light.The wire down to the kick panel should be ok,just a bit of removal and refit,but I am struggling with this other connection  
At the risk of sounding repetitive...

4 connections

12v ign/switched - power
0v - power
Courtesy light on - signal to prevent dimming with light on
reverse - signal to prevent dimming in reverse.

Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2008, 21:50:56 »

TB ..cheers..explanation now totally understood.it was the additional comments that you made against the connections that I needed to undertsand what they were required for.
Thanks for bearing with me ..will report results of my impending success in due course(I hope !!!)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 January 2008, 21:59:29 »

TB ..cheers..explanation now totally understood.it was the additional comments that you made against the connections that I needed to undertsand what they were required for.
Thanks for bearing with me ..will report results of my impending success in due course(I hope !!!)
:y
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.