Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto dimming mirror  (Read 3057 times)

NickA

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
Re: Auto dimming mirror
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2008, 17:19:53 »

Tell the truth it has been a looooong month,have worked every day since 1st jan and a bit tired..but that is another story.
Hillpers guide ,which would seem to be the definitive set of instructions,only mentions a switched +12volt and a ground.It clearly shows 2 wires being connected from mirror and the same 2 being connected to the sunroof plug.
So why do I need to make 3 connections excluding the reversing light option should I wish to include this ?
Does the mirror require a constant unswitched 12 volt + as well as a switched ignition as well,Dont want to connect up and blow or damage circuit so would like to be totally certain.

No, it doesn't need constant unswitched 12 volts or it'll be autodipping when cars pass it and you're not it.

It needs 12 Volt ignition switched, and an earth connection. Yes you can fit it with only this and earth, but to do a proper job it needs another 12 volts to show the interior light is on and a connector to the reversing lights.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2008, 17:49:31 »

Thanks NickA..I now understand why the 12v + permenant is required,so as to avoid dipping everytime the interior light comes on ..assume that is correct.?
Only other connection is then to run a wire down to the passenger kick panel and connect into the reversing light wire?..does this just connect to the wire from gear lever to back of car.
Finally it sounds like I can get the 12v + and the 12v ignition and the earth all from the interior light.
Hope I have understood all your advise and very sorry to sound so silly but want to be sure of what I need and how it all connects up

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 January 2008, 19:22:33 »

Thanks NickA..I now understand why the 12v + permenant is required,so as to avoid dipping everytime the interior light comes on ..assume that is correct.?
Only other connection is then to run a wire down to the passenger kick panel and connect into the reversing light wire?..does this just connect to the wire from gear lever to back of car.
Finally it sounds like I can get the 12v + and the 12v ignition and the earth all from the interior light.
Hope I have understood all your advise and very sorry to sound so silly but want to be sure of what I need and how it all connects up
No permenent 12v!!!

The mirror will work with just a ign/switched 12v and 0v if you want to bodge it, but I'm sure your Omega deserves a proper job.
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 January 2008, 21:39:02 »

TB. I agree and I have no intention of any form of bodge on my cars let alone my omega.
I just want to fully understand what connections I need to make on the upgrade for an auto dip mirror.
I have read Hillpers guide and it only ever mention the need for 2 connections..1 to be a positive ignition feed //the other to be earth.
The confusionI am now in, has now arisen with the addition of another 12 volt +feed .Why do I need this and is it another ignition feed or permenant (always on)
My electrical knowledge of cars is limited and I wish to attempt and succeed with a sound and working solution..that is why I have raised the questions.
So far I am happy with picking up a ignition switched +and an earth from the interior light.The wire down to the kick panel should be ok,just a bit of removal and refit,but I am struggling with this other connection  

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 January 2008, 21:43:16 »

TB. I agree and I have no intention of any form of bodge on my cars let alone my omega.
I just want to fully understand what connections I need to make on the upgrade for an auto dip mirror.
I have read Hillpers guide and it only ever mention the need for 2 connections..1 to be a positive ignition feed //the other to be earth.
The confusionI am now in, has now arisen with the addition of another 12 volt +feed .Why do I need this and is it another ignition feed or permenant (always on)
My electrical knowledge of cars is limited and I wish to attempt and succeed with a sound and working solution..that is why I have raised the questions.
So far I am happy with picking up a ignition switched +and an earth from the interior light.The wire down to the kick panel should be ok,just a bit of removal and refit,but I am struggling with this other connection  
At the risk of sounding repetitive...

4 connections

12v ign/switched - power
0v - power
Courtesy light on - signal to prevent dimming with light on
reverse - signal to prevent dimming in reverse.

Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 January 2008, 21:50:56 »

TB ..cheers..explanation now totally understood.it was the additional comments that you made against the connections that I needed to undertsand what they were required for.
Thanks for bearing with me ..will report results of my impending success in due course(I hope !!!)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 January 2008, 21:59:29 »

TB ..cheers..explanation now totally understood.it was the additional comments that you made against the connections that I needed to undertsand what they were required for.
Thanks for bearing with me ..will report results of my impending success in due course(I hope !!!)
:y
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.