Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Tech2 to install a radio  (Read 3420 times)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Using Tech2 to install a radio
« on: 29 January 2008, 08:29:04 »

Dear all, not really an Omega issue, but with such a wealth of technical experts out there . . . .

I know that a few of you have access to Tech2 and this is a request of those that are familiar with installing the later range of stereos, CD30 etc into late model and current model Vauxhalls.

We spend a lot of time reprogramming and resetting CD30`s back into delivery mode so that they can be reprogrammed into a new vehicle using Tech2 - the problem is that we are finding that more and more Vauxhall main dealers up and down the country do not have the ability to read their own Tech2 instruction manuals, and they generally appear unable to perform this fairly simple task.

If you have Tech2 and the knowledge of such things, it might be an idea to list your location and contact details - whether you are workshop based, or what area you cover if mobile, and I will certainly pass your details on to the customers who`s radios I am reprogramming.

Please don`t turn this thread into a slagging match over how poor your local service agent is, can we just add the usefull ones here please?  :y
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Using Tech2 to install a radio
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2008, 14:31:33 »

I suspect I know the issue here.

Basicly, the dealer has no easy way to find out what the PIN number is that is required to pair the radio to the vehicle as this will have been specific to the car the audio kit was removed from. He can only obtain this if he can get the chassis number of the original car and then obtain a securty pass for it.

I guess you read or re-write the internal memory to either obtain the PIN or default it into delivery mode.

Tech2 certainly does not let you access the PIN in the radio to read it (god knows why not!).

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2008, 16:10:00 »

Mark,
It would be good to understand this one a little better, as I have not got that involved with the Tech2 side of it yet. After enquiries from a few Vauxhall dealerships, I knocked up a programmer to erase the memory and reprogram the radio`s back into delivery mode and haded them back to the dealer concerned who programmed them nto his sales cars with no problems.

Putting the radio into delivery mode is not a problem - And I know that this has to be done as Tech2 cannot overrite the Radio eeprom (?!?)

I have not personally reprogrammed using Tech2, so am a bit of a novice to the procedure involved. Does Tech2 not allow access to the Vehicle pin code then? I assumed it did? What exactly is involved in pairing the radio to the car?

If Tech2 does not allow the reading of the Vehicle Pin Number, is there a market for a device that does? I have played around with the MC68HC05B8 52 Pin PLCC from inside the transponder aerial immobiliser box which goes around the ignition barrel and the PIN code is quite easy to see - shouldn`t take too much to knock up a programmer for that - (but I assumed that Tech2 did this already?)
www.dndservices.co.uk

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2008, 16:50:07 »

Quite simply, the unit (radio or display in the case of the Omega but also includes the body control module on CAN based cars) has the cars PIN code programmed into it and you have to enter this PIN in order to place the unit into delivery mode.

Tech 2 will now allow you to put the unit into delivery mode without first entering the PIN.

Trouble is that on second hand units you dont know the PIN because its specific to the vehicle (car pass)!

I have an NCDC2013 and GID display which are paired together but the PIN is not known. This works fine on non CAN based cars as they only speak to each other so work without problems.

I can give you a loan of this pair if it would be of use to your development. If you can suss the display out you can then apply it to the CID displays, decode of these is highly sought after!

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2008, 17:31:36 »

So if I understand correctly tech2 does not read any of the codes at all, merely acts as an input device to enter a known code?

So how do you find out the vehicle codes? What are the options?
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2008, 19:24:57 »

So if I understand correctly tech2 does not read any of the codes at all, merely acts as an input device to enter a known code?

So how do you find out the vehicle codes? What are the options?
The only 'official' options appear to be get the original car PIN from donor car via 'carpass' or replace the components!

Tech2 does not allow bypassing of the security systems without the PIN :(
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2008, 20:40:46 »

OK, tech2 does not appear to be the bit of kit I thought it was.

There seems to be a big cloud of secrecy over the PIN code that is only available, it appears, from the main dealer - and that is enough of a challenge to get me interested!!

What exactly does the PIN code do? What is its purpose? What can be done with it? What would happen if the PIN number got into the wrong hands? Can the PIN number be used to compromise the security of the vehicle? Is it required for any other spare parts (I`ve only ever done radios so far - what else is coded?) Does anybody already make a plug in code reader that can give an instant Vehicle Pin Number?

Is it worth me persuing this idea any further?
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2008, 20:41:50 »

I presume that with the PIN, Tech2 can actually do something?
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2008, 20:59:20 »

The PIN is the same as the immobiliser code.

With the PIN, the Tech2 can depair radios from screens (as long as the pair are still together - it can't do them individually).  Remember, GM are not going to release something that allows people to sidestep security ;)

Only other things that need the PIN are other antitheft things - immobiliser, alarm, engine ecu etc
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2008, 22:31:29 »

So if you know the PIN code of a vehicle, can it be entered in any way other than by use of a Tech2 ?  In other words, just because you know the immobiliser code, can you do anything with it?
www.dndservices.co.uk

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2008, 08:53:16 »

So if you know the PIN code of a vehicle, can it be entered in any way other than by use of a Tech2 ?  In other words, just because you know the immobiliser code, can you do anything with it?

It requires Tech2 or a.n.o. good scantool.

With the PIN number you can programme keys etc, pair radios..

What would be good is if you could come up with a way to put the colour displays into delivery mode!

I cant imagine it would be to hard once you have an image of the non-volatile store for a display that is already in delivery mode......then just re-write the display!
« Last Edit: 30 January 2008, 08:54:27 by Mark »

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2008, 09:47:23 »

I cant imagine it would be to hard once you have an image of the non-volatile store for a display that is already in delivery mode......then just re-write the display!

I`ve never been asked to reprogram a display before - or to put into delivery mode. Please enlighten me as to what the displays are, what the model numbers are and in which vehicles they are found?

Do you have access to a display that is already in delivery mode and one that is not that I could borrow for a few days? As what you are asking seems fairly simple to do, just need some data to start with.
www.dndservices.co.uk

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2008, 09:53:34 »

Any chance of a good picture and part number of the screen you are referring to (powered up if poss)
www.dndservices.co.uk

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2008, 19:49:17 »

The CID part numbers which can be used in an Omega are:-

244 393 79 Ident KK
244 596 49 Ident KJ
244 393 78 Ident KJ

I'm sure others can be as well but the housings would need to be changed to fit the Omega / Vectra B dashboard.

Rear:-

Front:-

Inside:-

LCD:-

RGB Cable

« Last Edit: 30 January 2008, 20:03:17 by VXL_V6 »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2008, 20:38:33 »

Hmmmm........nice big flash chip I can see in that pic.....got a programmer for one of those at work.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.