Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sky wifi  (Read 6108 times)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
Sky wifi
« on: 27 September 2015, 22:51:31 »

So i got rid of Virgin internet/ wifi and had Sky internet/ wifi installed and what a difference  :) Wifi reaches all over the house and outside where virgin never . Virgin claimed to be the best and used super fast fibre optic but sky uses the BT copper wire old style which is ten times better  ??? ???
So happy customer , thanks Tunnie  :D ;D
Omegatitis

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Sky wifi
« Reply #1 on: 28 September 2015, 00:28:40 »

:y :y :y :y

Virgin cable internet should be very fast, was it a very old router?

You might be able to get Sky Fibre. Check BT Infinity website, see if your area is covered :)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 September 2015, 06:55:01 »

Fink Dem noof'ers got Wong cables,aswell as Wong water ;D
Hoof'land storeman.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 September 2015, 07:58:49 »

Must have been something wrong with your router, mine reaches everywhere in our house... even on the 5G wireless....

Maybe yours was set to 5G only and that will have an effect on the range...

I have the VM 152 'Big Daddy' (internet and phone) and is soooooooooooo much faster than Sky's internet...

I do - however - have Sky TV as it is far superior to VM's TV package...

BTW they ALL spout of having Fibre Optic internet BUT what the fail to tell you is that the Fibre Optic DOESN'T run into your house but to their exchange... it is then fed via co-ax (in VM's case) or twisted pair (BT/Sky's case)... NONE of them have true Fibre Optics running into customers houses.... If they did it would cost VM and BT/Sky an absolute fortune to install all the fibres and fibre/optical conversion boxes in peoples houses...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 September 2015, 10:27:57 »

Is this a "my Dad is 'arder than your Dad" thread? ;D

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 September 2015, 11:40:46 »

Virgin router was the latest a few weeks old as we complained about
the wifi . The Sky wifi is far better , can even get it in the shed now where i live  :-[
Sky told me its been upgraded to sky fibre  :)
Omegatitis

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 September 2015, 11:54:20 »

Sky Fibre runs on the BT openreach infrastructure, ie the same as if you had a BT internet connection.  In most cases this is Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) and then goes down the copper line between your house and the local cabinet.  Virgin fibre is mostly fibre to the house (FTTH) although they do resell the openreach infra just the same as Sky do.  FTTH is generally faster than FTTC unles there is a technical problem with the line.

I have Virgin FTTH and notice every now and again the line needs resetting (about once a year) but the WiFi from the virgin supplied router is absolutely fine.

Thus I would suggest that maybe there was a technical issue with the Virgin line which was undetected, or that there may have been other things affecting your WiFi signal such as noise or conflicting WiFI channels being used by your neighbours.  A channel scan with your smartphone could help you identify a part of the spectrum which is available :y

I was with Sky for many years and they were perfectly fine, my only beef came when I moved house and cancelled my connection for a certain date (ie just after move out) but they cut it off 2 weeks prior and when you work from home that meant I had to be connected to the internet all the time thus I had to use my mobile phone as a hotspot.  Cue a mobile bill of over £400 that I had to suck up.

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 September 2015, 12:02:18 »

We were told by Virgin that because of the 9 inch brick work that the router would struggle to reach all areas of the house and we had it a year and never got wifi upstairs at all so this is why we changed . Plus Sky worked out a lot cheaper  :y
Omegatitis

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 September 2015, 12:41:36 »

I can 100% guarantee that my VM fibre optic does not come to my house (FTTH) at all - it is co-ax that is installed...

I had Sky wi-fi up until my internet hungry boys wanted to use the internet all at once and the Sky system couldn't cope with the demand. Even on the top spec fastest they could do... at best it was 16Mb at about 3 in the morning.... I had no gripes or argument with Sky except for the demand put upon the system where it simply couldn't cope..

I also had BT Internet for a short while, it worked fine except for the wireless would interfere with my radio equipment (Radio Ham)... I kept telling them it is interfering with my other radios which it wasn;t supposed to do, but they just wouldn't have it/be told that it wasn't supposed to interfere... all they kept on doing was putting me through to India where they kept telling me to move my antennas...!! which just aint possible... They also told me to switch off the WiFi - but all it did was switch off the connectivity and not the actual WiFi signal, thus it still interfered with my radio's... eventually I go in touch with OFCOM and they even said that they have had numerous complaints about the same problem....

I changed to VM 152Mb 'Big Daddy' of which my average speed is connected at 162 Mb.... It does cost a lot but my lads are worth it for them to be able to stream and download without much if any lag when they are playing online games etc...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 September 2015, 14:32:31 »

No, but my dog can beat up your dog.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 September 2015, 15:44:12 »

No, but my dog can beat up your dog.

Seeing as he passed away a few years ago, you are right.

Unless I go down the road and speak to the voodoo man to get him brought back as a zombie-dog. And then, mate, your pooch is flucked ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 September 2015, 18:15:50 »

Accept the fact that every single ISP provided freebie router is shite (in all respects, not just wifi) and you'll get less hung up over which ISP is better.

All the freebie routers are ones the ISP can bulk buy for sub £20, which gives some level of understanding how much research and development has gone in, and why all the firmwares are appallingly bad.
Grumpy old man

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 September 2015, 02:46:10 »

I know these tests are not exactly true, but they do give a decent comparison.

Sky Broadband Copper to the Exchange.

I don't do online gaming or anything like that so upload speed isn't an issue,  I'm more than happy with what I get.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 September 2015, 08:28:46 »

Moved from BT Infinity to Sky Fibre Unlimited and very happy so far. Router is definitely better than the Hub 5 I had with BT. Also in contrast to my experience with Sky a few years ago, every aspect of the install and service has been great - SO FAR!!

Only issue I have is lip sync issue and not sure if that is Sky, Xbox or Sony Android. If I turn off tv only and turn it back on it seems to correct - but lip sync issues come and go even in same programme. Some say it can be the broadcaster.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 September 2015, 08:44:04 »

Lip a Sync - That an internet based stream? Not via dish?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.