Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sky wifi  (Read 6113 times)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: Sky wifi
« Reply #15 on: 29 September 2015, 09:32:42 »

Accept the fact that every single ISP provided freebie router is shite (in all respects, not just wifi) and you'll get less hung up over which ISP is better.

All the freebie routers are ones the ISP can bulk buy for sub £20, which gives some level of understanding how much research and development has gone in, and why all the firmwares are appallingly bad.

I did read a couple of years ago that ISP`s made it difficult to use 3rd party routers, I don`t know how much truth there is in that but I believe it was to do with some settings that the ISP needed to give but weren`t playing ball.

I never looked into it because my VM router is fine at the mo, I can get wifi in any part of the house and even on the road in front (which is handy for using my laptop on the missus Panda).

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 September 2015, 11:43:12 »

Lip a Sync - That an internet based stream? Not via dish?

Connected by dish and lan. Wonder if it could be subwoofer.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 September 2015, 17:49:43 »

Lip a Sync - That an internet based stream? Not via dish?
I've seen sky vid/audio out of sync on too many occasions. Occasionally, but not often, on freeview.

If its all the time, check amp and box settings for artificial delays on the audio.

If its an IPTV stream, there are lots more variables than can screw you over, virtually all of which are in the hands of the broadcaster and/or your ISP.  Having had insights into the issues getting the 4k streams working well, its most certainly not as trivial a task as you might expect (although some of that comes from the fact that 4k introduces extra complexities, visually, that need to be dealt with)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 September 2015, 17:53:31 »

Lip sync issues are usually due to the TV or any processing kit (audio system etc), often there is an adjustment that can be made on the TV

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 September 2015, 17:58:47 »

Accept the fact that every single ISP provided freebie router is shite (in all respects, not just wifi) and you'll get less hung up over which ISP is better.

All the freebie routers are ones the ISP can bulk buy for sub £20, which gives some level of understanding how much research and development has gone in, and why all the firmwares are appallingly bad.

I did read a couple of years ago that ISP`s made it difficult to use 3rd party routers, I don`t know how much truth there is in that but I believe it was to do with some settings that the ISP needed to give but weren`t playing ball.

I never looked into it because my VM router is fine at the mo, I can get wifi in any part of the house and even on the road in front (which is handy for using my laptop on the missus Panda).
Nope. None of them do.  My primary ISP, Zen Internet, actively encourages it, and provide reasonable support when things don't work. My secondary ISP, BT Business, give me all the details to get a 3rd party router working.

The HH4/5 is probably one of the best "free" routers, but is still utterly, utterly shite.  Its reasonably stable, reasonably decent wifi, reasonably decent modem.  But spend good money on a router, you will see how shite *ALL* ISP routers are. BT, Sky, VM, Whorehouse. They all provide the cheapest crap they can get away with - the UK ISP market is incredibly competitive, which is why we have some of the fastest speeds at the lowest costs.

And I say that knowing my brother's 2 premium broadband routers had desperate issues doing their core function (routing), which still hasn't been resolved, but support and I came up with a viable, robust workaround.
Grumpy old man

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 September 2015, 18:04:14 »

Nope. None of them do.  My primary ISP, Zen Internet, actively encourages it, and provide reasonable support when things don't work. My secondary ISP, BT Business, give me all the details to get a 3rd party router working.

The HH4/5 is probably one of the best "free" routers, but is still utterly, utterly shite.  Its reasonably stable, reasonably decent wifi, reasonably decent modem.  But spend good money on a router, you will see how shite *ALL* ISP routers are. BT, Sky, VM, Whorehouse. They all provide the cheapest crap they can get away with - the UK ISP market is incredibly competitive, which is why we have some of the fastest speeds at the lowest costs.

And I say that knowing my brother's 2 premium broadband routers had desperate issues doing their core function (routing), which still hasn't been resolved, but support and I came up with a viable, robust workaround.

Cheers, I`ll bear that in mind  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 September 2015, 18:04:27 »

Lip sync issues are usually due to the TV or any processing kit (audio system etc), often there is an adjustment that can be made on the TV
Indeed. Generally the encoders are robust-ish, and A/V (for up to 1080p) delivered in 1 stream (be that IP or dedicated broadcast), leaving the STB to separate. Some TVs with those poxy digital enhancements delay video slightly further.

Hence, most amps allow a delay to be set (as its usually the video that's slow).

Do people still use the audio on the TV, rather than an amp?  (I do for terrestrial, to make things easy for Mrs TB)
Grumpy old man

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 September 2015, 06:20:33 »

Indeed. Generally the encoders are robust-ish, and A/V (for up to 1080p) delivered in 1 stream (be that IP or dedicated broadcast), leaving the STB to separate. Some TVs with those poxy digital enhancements delay video slightly further.

Hence, most amps allow a delay to be set (as its usually the video that's slow).

Do people still use the audio on the TV, rather than an amp?  (I do for terrestrial, to make things easy for Mrs TB)

I have taken out amp and use tv speakers with a dedicated subwoofer which gives enough sound quality for us and keeps it simpler for Mrs.

I am now experimenting with multi room speaker system for music but that has also taken me into the world of DLNA which I am slowly getting to grips with.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 30 September 2015, 18:47:30 »

Ooooooooooh my Panasonic BluRay player has DLNA but I aint got a ruddy clue what it does or is for :)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 30 September 2015, 19:15:30 »

As OP mentioned Android, thought it could be a mobile stream. They can easily suffer from audio issues if using Envivio encoders  ::)

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 30 September 2015, 21:49:25 »

Virgin sent me a text saying they would send me a box for me to post back their super duper wifi router thing  ::) It hasn't arrived  ::) The routers must be so good they have to re-use them  ::) ::) ::)

I wont be going back to VM  ::) Thumbs up for Sky  :) :y
Omegatitis

Phil L

• Intermediate Member
  • Hitchin
    • 2003 2.6 Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 September 2015, 23:12:46 »

I can 100% guarantee that my VM fibre optic does not come to my house (FTTH) at all - it is co-ax that is installed...

I had Sky wi-fi up until my internet hungry boys wanted to use the internet all at once and the Sky system couldn't cope with the demand. Even on the top spec fastest they could do... at best it was 16Mb at about 3 in the morning.... I had no gripes or argument with Sky except for the demand put upon the system where it simply couldn't cope..

I also had BT Internet for a short while, it worked fine except for the wireless would interfere with my radio equipment (Radio Ham)... I kept telling them it is interfering with my other radios which it wasn;t supposed to do, but they just wouldn't have it/be told that it wasn't supposed to interfere... all they kept on doing was putting me through to India where they kept telling me to move my antennas...!! which just aint possible... They also told me to switch off the WiFi - but all it did was switch off the connectivity and not the actual WiFi signal, thus it still interfered with my radio's... eventually I go in touch with OFCOM and they even said that they have had numerous complaints about the same problem....

I changed to VM 152Mb 'Big Daddy' of which my average speed is connected at 162 Mb.... It does cost a lot but my lads are worth it for them to be able to stream and download without much if any lag when they are playing online games etc...
VM use an 'HFC' network (Hybrid Fibre Coax) - Fibre to the box in the street then Coax (TV/Internet) & Copper (voice) to the house.  Openreach are rolling our FTTP (FTTH) to new builds & certain areas as part of the NGA/BDUK/SEP rollout - this is available to any Service Provider.  Sky & Talk Talk have just opened up an FTTP trial in York & Kingston have quite a bit in Hull too.  These mostly supply in excess of 300Mbit/s downstream.
Wishing I'd not sold the 67 Mustang...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 October 2015, 12:02:25 »

Openreach are trialling a 300mbps service using FTTC technology, ready for commercial launch next year. Expect the speed to quickly jump to 500mbps if you are within 250m of your cab.

FTTK/FTTP IS available in all areas where you can get FTTC via Openreach, but few ISPs offer it.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 01 October 2015, 13:09:44 »

Be nice if I could get fibre at all.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 01 October 2015, 13:18:04 »

Be nice if I could get fibre at all.

DOn't worry, to get fibre to the Military patch in Aldershot it only took OpenReach 3 years after they had installed it across the road.

The CEO's give-a-crap-o-meter barely flicked off the bar below E.

You should get it in about a decade :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.