Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega MOT result after almost 18 months stood still  (Read 1347 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Omega MOT result after almost 18 months stood still
« on: 12 January 2021, 20:19:41 »

I bought my Black Omega "NXR" (A retail, 2.6 Elite), from an OOF member in I think 2016, or 2017.

She had been around the forum for some time prior to that, I am pretty sure she's been through Josh Wyatt's hands, and owned by Ianu from Bicester (whom I bought her from) and also prior to that, I think PaulK owned her (I remember doing a cambelt for him in around 2013/4 or so) - may have also done a G cam upgrade, can't recall, but she does fly.

I bought her with high mileage (220,000+), but fully sorted, polybushed all over, lovely stainless exhaust.

The last MOT I presented her for was on 27 June 2019, with 226,034 miles. After a couple of tiny tweaks, she got a pass with no advisories.

Since then, fast forward to Covid, she got the 6 month government MOT extension, and until my Rangie upset the MOT man in December just gone, the Omega had sat for 16 months - looking proper sorry for herself.

I recently gave her a going over for the MOT. All of the exhaust rubbers were perished, so I replaced them all. The handbrake was inop - but found the cable had come away from the cable-stay at the rear nearside wheel, so a relatively easy fix. A good going over with my "corrosion locating tool" didn't find any problems, anywhere, underneath. The only rust worry was a 2x2inch max hole when you opened the rear drivers door, which was repaired for peanuts.

I knew the tyres were all shot, but as Franks Dad once said on here, you don't shod a a car, the day before an MOT man condemns it, so I presented her for test (which was done today), knowing I'd get a fail on the tyres.

The result:

FAIL

1) Tyres, as expected (tester understood why, given my worries, I Was presenting her with duff tyres)
2) Battery insecure (expected, I need to improvise a repair for the clamp, tester knew that was coming)
3) Rear brake light (not expected, accept that one was sloppy)
4) Headlamp output insufficient (they need a cut / clean / polish). Not anticipated, but not a surprise.

ADVISE

1) Leak of exhaust gasses. Tiny, tiny blow at the cat to mid section joint. Tried to recrify, just couldn't quite get it to seal.
2) Number plates have seen better day.

I will totally, take this result!

She is booked in for 4 new tyres this weekend, on the original Elite 17" alloys, and in the meantime I will polish the lights and address the little points.

Then at the retest, we'll have 12 months with no advisories, yet again :y :y

I also popped on a cambelt kit, and water pump, just before winter hit, along with cam covers :y

This Omega has been the best to drive Omega I've ever owned by a country mile. I was paranoid about rust, but, Mr tester told me the arch-worm is purely cosmetic, and that structurally, she is absolutely sound  :) :) :) :) :) :y

I think I'll treat her to an oil and filter change, too :y Really happy  8) 8) 8) My new years resolution now she's going to be fully roadworthy, is use her at least once or twice a week, much better than letting a car stand.
« Last Edit: 12 January 2021, 20:23:49 by JamesV6CDX »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
Re: Omega MOT result after almost 18 months stood still
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2021, 20:21:11 »

Oh, and the garage absolutely love it when I bring her in for test.... far more fun than the Euro boxes they usually deal with!! :y

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2021, 20:26:45 »

Oh, and the garage absolutely love it when I bring her in for test.... far more fun than the Euro boxes they usually deal with!! :y
The ones that pass, you mean?  ;D
Diesel till I die

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2021, 20:30:24 »

Well done  :)
many would just bin it ,but with a little work it's going to be sorted  :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2021, 20:33:08 »

The ones that pass, you mean?  ;D

They never care about the result of my tests - they know by now they don't get any money out of me for repairs  ;D

But yes, I wouldn't want to be Mr/Mrs unsuspecting, with some mass produced modern crap needing a repair, I can imagine a lot of teeth sucking etc........ hence, anything that's too physical for me these days, always goes to Mr Serek :y :y

relluf

« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2021, 21:33:47 »

That's great news James , well done for persevering with it.

I pretty much did the same, although for not quite as long, Parked up in early March after failing mot and even going as far as putting a for sale advert on here, luckily nobody bit  (phew)
I decided to have the wheel bearing done for me as I didn't think I would manage it, Jimbob recommended someone who had done one for him a few years ago and they did a great job ,I will be using Buckley tyres again in the future ,well reccomended.

I got around to presenting for MOT at the beginning of Jan, upon arrival he was stood outside waiting for me(last one of the day)shaking his head, "whats up" I say?
"You just wouldn't let it die would you" ? he says.

Nope
It passed easily with a couple of advisories for rear tyres and slightly worn front discs.
On the whole very good underneath just some surface rust from being stood for nearly 10 months.
I know you regretted letting this one go but MF03 lives for another year at least.
I know we all say this but it really is a great car to drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.