Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The annual insurance debacle.  (Read 2556 times)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
The annual insurance debacle.
« on: 23 January 2021, 11:03:27 »

The Omega insurance is soon due and the quote arrived yesterday .
€ 620 (£551) ...fully comp.
Owned for 18 years ,documented NCT/MOT mileage of circa 1000 miles per annum ( 45 miles this year ) , full history/invoices etc, etc..
I've never had a claim in all my life ,retired now , and have a couple of other vehicles with full NCB.
As it's 22 years old now I thought I'd try a classic policy and even add it to my other classic policy .
Carole Nash ..."you can bugger off Mr Olympia " , says me " but I've been with you nigh on 20 years " ...." bugger off ! "
FBD ,who are basically an insurance company for farmers but "offer" classic insurance , "Vauxhall Omega ..what's that ?"
So I give her all the info, emphasising the points that show I'm a good risk,and offer to transfer the E24 over too a dual policy too .
" You would only be able to drive to and then from a classic car meeting , you cannot go shopping in it you know ! . If you have an accident in it and we find shopping in it you would not be covered "
So I ask what happens if I am on my way back from a classic car meet and whilst putting petrol into it my wife buys a pint of milk from the petrol station ?
" We would refuse insurance "
Well Mrs FBD you can skip off into the sunset , and delete all my info given .
The insurance companies operate what is called Dual policy pricing in ireland .
"Dual pricing involves insurers using big data and complex pricing practices to target customers who are less likely to shop around, before charging them artificially high premiums at renewal. The Central Bank found that renewing customers are paying significantly more than the actual cost of their policy.Dec 18, 2020"
Outlawed and illegal in UK but little ireland allows the annual rape and pillage of it's motorists , thanks . >:(
Couple this with their own decision to deny insurance to vehicles over 15 years old conveniently corrals a great number of motorists for no reason other than greed on the companies behalf .
Another couple of companies to try , but .. :(

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: The annual insurance debacle.
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2021, 11:08:30 »

One of the joys of still being in the EU. ;D Joking apart mate, it seems that you're being royally screwed. :(

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2021, 11:47:34 »

Ah Ronny , you'll see that as a non Irish person and ,historically , a strong advocate of Brexit I am no EU lover .
The problems with insurance over here stem more from the collusion or more likely disinterest of the government of any day rather than the odious EU.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2021, 12:39:16 »

Ah Ronny , you'll see that as a non Irish person and ,historically , a strong advocate of Brexit I am no EU lover .
The problems with insurance over here stem more from the collusion or more likely disinterest of the government of any day rather than the odious EU.
I've always described S. Ireland as a backward little shithole, it appears I am correct, Don.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2021, 13:06:26 »

The Omega insurance is soon due and the quote arrived yesterday .
€ 620 (£551) ...fully comp.

Owned for 18 years ,documented NCT/MOT mileage of circa 1000 miles per annum ( 45 miles this year ) , full history/invoices etc, etc..
I've never had a claim in all my life ,retired now , and have a couple of other vehicles with full NCB.
As it's 22 years old now I thought I'd try a classic policy and even add it to my other classic policy .
Carole Nash ..."you can bugger off Mr Olympia " , says me " but I've been with you nigh on 20 years " ...." bugger off ! "
FBD ,who are basically an insurance company for farmers but "offer" classic insurance , "Vauxhall Omega ..what's that ?"
So I give her all the info, emphasising the points that show I'm a good risk,and offer to transfer the E24 over too a dual policy too .
" You would only be able to drive to and then from a classic car meeting , you cannot go shopping in it you know ! . If you have an accident in it and we find shopping in it you would not be covered "
So I ask what happens if I am on my way back from a classic car meet and whilst putting petrol into it my wife buys a pint of milk from the petrol station ?
" We would refuse insurance "
Well Mrs FBD you can skip off into the sunset , and delete all my info given .
The insurance companies operate what is called Dual policy pricing in ireland .
"Dual pricing involves insurers using big data and complex pricing practices to target customers who are less likely to shop around, before charging them artificially high premiums at renewal. The Central Bank found that renewing customers are paying significantly more than the actual cost of their policy.Dec 18, 2020"
Outlawed and illegal in UK but little ireland allows the annual rape and pillage of it's motorists , thanks . >:(
Couple this with their own decision to deny insurance to vehicles over 15 years old conveniently corrals a great number of motorists for no reason other than greed on the companies behalf .
Another couple of companies to try , but .. :(

It appears they have your policy mixed up with that of a spotty 17 year old trying to insure a Ferrari. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January 2021, 13:51:04 »

You could insure a biturbo v12 for less :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2021, 13:55:24 »

How about your road tax Don?  :o  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2021, 14:47:29 »

Kick him whilst he's down why don't you... ;D

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2021, 17:57:06 »

yep , another irish conundrum.
€ 710 per annum . Cars pre 2008 have road tax rates based on engine cc . A 3.2 Omega would attract a € 1800 hit if paid in one payment , spread out it would be over €2000 .
There are more cars on irish roads paying the lower post '08 rates of circa 200-250 euro per annum than the above so there is no incentive to change it and there is a surprising number of pre '08 cars still in use.
TBH I'm on the point of moving onto a modern estate Merc/Audi/BMW as I'm just pissed off now at the attitude adopted by the authorities over here ,they want to be seen as green but don't you dare attempt to run an older well maintained car rather than a newish diesel cause they don't make as much money from you .

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2021, 20:26:34 »

You could move north of the border if you insist on staying on the island...  :-\

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2021, 20:37:35 »

You could move north of the border if you insist on staying on the island...  :-\
Donxit?  ;D
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2021, 09:03:34 »

I would recommend it. Not quite as picturesque as Kerry, but nowhere is, apart from possibly Northern Italy.
Some very lovely places though, in the good old UK (well, just about now) and a short boat trip to Scotland.
Come to think of it, I dont know why I ever left.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2021, 09:16:37 »

Ask the Missus :D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2021, 10:15:32 »

Had that conversation many times, years ago, when I still got homesick.
Now, I have little interest in the place tbh. I have one good friend there, but apart from that........... ;)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 January 2021, 15:28:54 »

Yes it happens every year!

Just got off the phone to the AA about my insurance renewal and, as usual, got them to reduce my fully comp, legal protection, monthly payment interest, loan car, low excesses, etc, etc, premium by £80 over the year to actually better (allowing for the "extra" benefits gained) quotes via Confused.com.

I never have to go into full argument mode as the AA staff listen, treat me like a valued customer, and give me quickly (as they have over 20 years) what I am looking for. 8) 8) :D :D :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 January 2021, 15:31:15 »

Just got off the phone to the AA about my insurance renewal and, as usual, got them to reduce my fully comp, legal protection, monthly payment interest, loan car, low excesses, etc, etc, premium by £80 over the year to actually better (allowing for the "extra" benefits gained) quotes via Confused.com.

I never have to go into full argument mode as the AA staff listen, treat me like a valued customer, and give me quickly what I am looking for. 8) 8) :D :D :y

It's just frustrating that you should have to contact them at all.  I understand how business works, and every business is there to make money, but to prey on those who do not have technology at their fingertips (to check things like comparison websites) is just nasty.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 January 2021, 15:34:47 »

Just went through this on my daily driver.

Renewal quote = £360  :o

Quick compare the confusion market search, paid £160 for the year. Oh and Quidco gave me £35 for taking the policy out, so £125.

I'm very happy with that.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 January 2021, 15:40:40 »

I never have to go into full argument mode as the AA staff listen, treat me like a valued customer, and give me quickly what I am looking for. 8) 8) :D :D :y

It's just frustrating that you should have to contact them at all.  I understand how business works, and every business is there to make money, but to prey on those who do not have technology at their fingertips (to check things like comparison websites) is just nasty.

Yes, as with the World of services and retailing now it is assumed (or just accepted as oh well' tough that some are not!!) that everyone is online.  It is also a fact that with the service industry it is common for a market place ideology to rule where the potential customer has to ask for the best price. 

Comes to think about it, the retail industry has done, in a different form, this since RPM disappeared 50 years ago. Multiple retail stores all offer basically the same products and expect the potential customer to walk / drive around to find the cheapest price.

Yes, with both industries (as with all business) it is ALL about making a profit and trusting that a fair proportion of the public to not bother to search out the best price, or even best service. ::) ::) ::)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 26 January 2021, 15:40:58 »

I never have to go into full argument mode as the AA staff listen, treat me like a valued customer, and give me quickly (as they have over 20 years) what I am looking for. 8) 8) :D :D :y
We'll see what AA insurance offer us in April. I always have another quote to hand when I ring, if I get no joy, I don't renew.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 26 January 2021, 15:44:18 »

We'll see what AA insurance offer us in April. I always have another quote to hand when I ring, if I get no joy, I don't renew.

Yep, done that for years now and only once did it take two phone calls with the AA to gently persuade them to meet a competitors quote! ::) ;D ;D ;)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 January 2021, 15:44:24 »

Yes, as with the World of services and retailing now it is assumed (or just accepted as oh well' tough that some are not!!) that everyone is online.  It is also a fact that with the service industry it is common for a market place ideology to rule where the potential customer has to ask for the best price. 

Comes to think about it, the retail industry has done, in a different form, this since RPM disappeared 50 years ago. Multiple retail stores all offer basically the same products and expect the potential customer to walk / drive around to find the cheapest price.

Yes, with both industries (as ith ll business) it is ALL about making a profit and trusting that a fair proportion of the public to not bother to search out the best price, or even best service. ::) ::) ::)
I notice that, when I read about food product recalls, all of the descriptions of the item are the same. i.e. Sainsbury's 100g fresh mussels, Morrison's 100g fresh mussels, etc. These products obviously come from the same supplier, but I'll bet they don't cost the same.
Diesel till I die

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 January 2021, 15:51:00 »

Yes, with both industries (as ith ll business) it is ALL about making a profit and trusting that a fair proportion of the public to not bother to search out the best price, or even best service. ::) ::) ::)
I notice that, when I read about food product recalls, all of the descriptions of the item are the same. i.e. Sainsbury's 100g fresh mussels, Morrison's 100g fresh mussels, etc. These products obviously come from the same supplier, but I'll bet they don't cost the same.

The food retailers do shop around for a regular supplier of fresh product, like sea foods, veg, fruit, etc, so cost prices do vary.  But with general grocery products they are the same, with maybe different labels on the pack when 'own label', but then cost price can vary still due to the terms agreed by the buyers within the retail chains where tens of thousands of pounds are to be made by cutting manufacturers to the bone, although of course that has been challenged by certain producers over recent years! ;D ;D ;)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.