Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Potential Omega replacement ... :(  (Read 7256 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Potential Omega replacement ... :(
« on: 23 April 2017, 20:45:15 »

Thought I'd found a "possible" contender ...

http://www.elitecar.co.uk/used-cars/holden-commodore-bordon-201701191461751

but no tow bar and, apparently, no chance of getting one in the UK ..  :(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Omega replacement ... :(
« Reply #1 on: 23 April 2017, 20:47:52 »

Not inexpensive for a nine year old car. :)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 April 2017, 21:42:07 »

Not keen on those looks one bit, but that kind of budget, I'd look to something like this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701271713275?make=JAGUAR&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol&postcode=tw89de&sort=sponsored&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&model=XF&page=3

But diesel is better for towing, so I'd look at this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704214654763?fuel-type=Diesel&make=JAGUAR&sort=sponsored&model=XF&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=tw89de&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

Only if a) the towing vehicle weighs 6 Tonnes and the trailer weighs 38 Tonnes ...... or b) the towing vehicle floats on water or c) the towing vehicle runs on rails

Please note the proposed vehicle had a factory fit LPG conversion ... please compare apples with apples, not pears ...   :)

:)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2017, 22:00:09 »

You'd turn your nose up at a Range Rover V8 diesel? Sure that's about best tow car going   :)

You are towing a burger van, diesel makes perfect sense? I think a run in fatty admin's XJ would make you re-consider.

While I've enjoyed LPG for many years, I don't think i'd ever run another. Diesels are very refined and deliver excellent torque, without huge RPM and I'm comparing like for like. 2.2 petrol vs 2.0 diesel.

Given large capacity petrol's are fairly rare these days (hence your replacement issues) - only with new tax rules could they come back.

Also first link, was to a petrol XF. :)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 April 2017, 22:03:37 »

You'd turn your nose up at a Range Rover V8 diesel? Sure that's about best tow car going   :)

You are towing a burger van, diesel makes perfect sense? I think a run in fatty admin's XJ would make you re-consider.

While I've enjoyed LPG for many years, I don't think i'd ever run another. Diesels are very refined and deliver excellent torque, without huge RPM and I'm comparing like for like. 2.2 petrol vs 2.0 diesel.

Given large capacity petrol's are fairly rare these days (hence your replacement issues) - only with new tax rules could they come back.

Also first link, was to a petrol XF. :)

I have to agree ref diesels. The power and torque from my '10 Mondeo 6 speed is really, really impressive. Especially given it will do 50mpg all day long

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2017, 22:08:14 »

Not keen on those looks one bit, but that kind of budget, I'd look to something like this:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201701271713275?make=JAGUAR&advertising-location=at_cars&fuel-type=Petrol&postcode=tw89de&sort=sponsored&radius=1500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&model=XF&page=3

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201704214654763?fuel-type=Diesel&make=JAGUAR&sort=sponsored&model=XF&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=tw89de&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&page=1

Only if a) the towing vehicle weighs 6 Tonnes and the trailer weighs 38 Tonnes ...... or b) the towing vehicle floats on water or c) the towing vehicle runs on rails

Please note the proposed vehicle had a factory fit LPG conversion ... please compare apples with apples, not pears ...   :)

Probably not factory fit and if it is then servicing it may be an issue ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 April 2017, 22:50:23 »

Lets get one thing absolutely clear ... unless I come out of retirement and retrain as either a truck driver, train driver or boat driver .. I will NOT, out of any choice, drive a smelly, polluting, child damaging diseasel..... period.

And yes .. I would "turn my nose up" at a diesel (or petrol) Range Rover .. if given one I would sell it. I don't want/need a 4X4 chelsea tractor, I don't want/need a soot chucker.... I have towed with Pajeros, Showguns, Rangies, Landies, Discos ... yes they all work .. but I don't want or need one.

If/When the omega goes I would "like" a rear wheel drive, saloon, NA V6 petrol of around the same power, with, hopefully, sufficient boot space to take an LPG tank. At the moment that appears to limit me to BMWs, Mercs, & Jags, but the odd other option appears .. :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2017, 22:56:48 »

I have to say that my diseasal tows my caravan effortlessly.  My Omega was a good tow car,  but my Merc is much better. ... 374 ftlbs of torque makes a huge difference.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2017, 23:02:48 by Andy B »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 April 2017, 23:38:24 »

That car is probably factory fit as it was a factory option... Without looking, it's an '09 Commodore Executive registered locally to me... I used to see it regularly enough.

Tow bars readily available for it, 2,300 Kgs being the factory design iirc... Insurers might require some hoop jumping, but it can and will tow ;)

As for diesel V8 Range Rovers... Really? You have read Jws guide?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 April 2017, 23:42:29 »

Is a Lexus LS430 / 460 an option Nige ? V8 rather than V6, but I'm sure you could learn to live with a couple of extra cylinders.
Well equipped, I believe they have self levelling, and built like tanks.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-57-Lexus-LS460-4-6-V8-Auto-Service-History-A-FULL-Spec-/252691095969?hash=item3ad59021a1:g:QYUAAOSwEzxYXO86
« Last Edit: 23 April 2017, 23:58:04 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2017, 08:40:13 »

That car is probably factory fit as it was a factory option... Without looking, it's an '09 Commodore Executive registered locally to me... I used to see it regularly enough.

Tow bars readily available for it, 2,300 Kgs being the factory design iirc... Insurers might require some hoop jumping, but it can and will tow ;)

They may be available but the current UK laws require it to be type approved, which it won't be because it's not a mainstream European car... Couldn't get one for the Brother in Law's Jag either ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2017, 09:07:22 »

I have to say that my diseasal tows my caravan effortlessly.  My Omega was a good tow car,  but my Merc is much better. ... 374 ftlbs of torque makes a huge difference.

Yeah can imagine with nearly 400  :o - Torque is king when it comes to towing, BHP matters little really. With just my 4 pot the update in torque is good, as it has around 320Nm (236 lb.-ft.)

My 2.0 TDi has more torque than my 3.2 Omega, as it only has 290Nm.

Lincs Robert

« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2017, 09:27:32 »

Yeah can imagine with nearly 400  :o - Torque is king when it comes to towing, BHP matters little really. With just my 4 pot the update in torque is good, as it has around 320Nm (236 lb.-ft.)

My 2.0 TDi has more torque than my 3.2 Omega, as it only has 290Nm.

Mk1 Focus 1.8 Tdci (115 bhp) has more torque than an Omega 3.0!  :o

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2017, 09:42:43 »

Oh, and even over there the LPG wasn't generally fitted at the factory but rather by an aftermarket supplier before delivery 😉
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.