Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gone In Seconds  (Read 3552 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Gone In Seconds
« Reply #15 on: 27 November 2023, 10:44:34 »

I didn't mind what it was as long as it was a TDV8, now I actually prefer the lines of the Sport, my mate has the full fat which looks slightly cumbersome alongside mine.
I think I'd be better with the slightly smaller RRS, as it might fit on drive a little better.  But you know when you have an itch for something, nothing else will do!
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2023, 10:52:21 »

I didn't mind what it was as long as it was a TDV8, now I actually prefer the lines of the Sport, my mate has the full fat which looks slightly cumbersome alongside mine.
I think I'd be better with the slightly smaller RRS, as it might fit on drive a little better.  But you know when you have an itch for something, nothing else will do!

I know exactly what you mean, I always said I wanted  V8 Merc a V8 Range Rover & a Bentley Turbo 2 out of 3 ain't bad , SWMBO just will not come round to the Idea of a Bentley 😢
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 November 2023, 11:19:49 »

I know exactly what you mean, I always said I wanted  V8 Merc a V8 Range Rover & a Bentley Turbo 2 out of 3 ain't bad , SWMBO just will not come round to the Idea of a Bentley 😢
I borrowed one of Joshwyatts Bentleys, but it was unsuitable for me, really it was a 2 seater, despite being an enormous car.  Was proper effortless quick though - I thought it was a gutless piece of shite coming off a roundabout until I looked at the speedo and noted I was likely to be one of your guests if caught ;D
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 November 2023, 12:14:35 »

I borrowed one of Joshwyatts Bentleys, but it was unsuitable for me, really it was a 2 seater, despite being an enormous car.  Was proper effortless quick though - I thought it was a gutless piece of shite coming off a roundabout until I looked at the speedo and noted I was likely to be one of your guests if caught ;D

I know the Landlord of my local had one up till a couple of years ago we went to a boxing exhibition in Peterborough in it, just a beautiful vehicle to travel in absolutely effortless, sold it a couple of years ago & bought the 5.0 Bullit Mustang nice , but not a patch on the Bentley.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 27 November 2023, 12:23:14 »

It's probably just me, but a £350k Rolls on a drive of a humble type house, on obviously a very bog standard housing estate strikes me as a bit unusual.
In addition it has been known about for the last few years that criminals use devices outside of the property to activate the car's keys.
So why has this owner of such an expensive vehicle not taken better security precautions when being parked in a very typical housing estate, where usually the very rich do not normally live?

So he/she thought a Ring doorbell would be adequate security for such a vehicle parked in that way? ::)

Sorry, but something is wrong here.  My suspicious brain is working overtime on this one ;D ;D

I am sure the police and insurance company would be investigating this case very closely.
« Last Edit: 27 November 2023, 12:27:57 by Lizzie Zoom »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 November 2023, 12:44:14 »

I was behind a Bentley Continental in my 24v Senator on a slip road onto the A12, years ago.
We both floored it about the same time, and although the Senator was not a slow car, the Bentley disappeared towards the horizon in no time.
I was most impressed by the lack of fuss or drama about it. It was just gone.  8)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 November 2023, 13:59:13 »

It's probably just me, but a £350k Rolls on a drive of a humble type house, on obviously a very bog standard housing estate strikes me as a bit unusual.
In addition it has been known about for the last few years that criminals use devices outside of the property to activate the car's keys.
So why has this owner of such an expensive vehicle not taken better security precautions when being parked in a very typical housing estate, where usually the very rich do not normally live?

So he/she thought a Ring doorbell would be adequate security for such a vehicle parked in that way? ::)

Sorry, but something is wrong here.  My suspicious brain is working overtime on this one ;D ;D

I am sure the police and insurance company would be investigating this case very closely.
Last bloke I knew that owned a Roller used to keep it unlocked all the time (in the hope of no damage should the little shits want to rifle through the glovebox and door pockets).  Yet scrotes still smashed the windows to get in ;D
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 November 2023, 14:49:22 »

Why don't people simply deactivate keyless entry. It can be done on some vehicles on the key fob alone, others by using the infotainment system and other vehicles can have it coded out.
Anyone old enough to remember the old Clifford system of fitting an inline switch or additional key switch on the ignition circuit will be familiar with how a Ghost system works. Obviously with Ghost you have a choice of what to press to authorise ignition.
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 November 2023, 17:17:30 »

If you have a tasty vehicle, and the scrotes really want it, the alternative to them accessing your vehicle on the drive using their scanning equipment is them breaking in your house for the keys. If they then can't find them and they really do want it, do you really want them coming upstairs in the dead of night threatening you with violence for the keys?
In some respects, them accessing the car without threatening you or the family is a safer, although extremely worrying, alternative?
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 November 2023, 17:44:49 »

and the value of second hand Range Rovers has slumped.
Oooo, and I've always fancied one ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m0Y84qgzyc

Something similar with the original Sierra Cosworth getting stolen in the eighties.

Easy to nick and expensive to insure.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 November 2023, 18:00:17 »

Why don't people simply deactivate keyless entry. It can be done on some vehicles on the key fob alone, others by using the infotainment system and other vehicles can have it coded out.
Anyone old enough to remember the old Clifford system of fitting an inline switch or additional key switch on the ignition circuit will be familiar with how a Ghost system works. Obviously with Ghost you have a choice of what to press to authorise ignition.

Is it only keyless ignition cars that are vulnerable?  My 2009 CL500 isn't keyless but there is no metal into metal, the 'key' is a plastic plug that just pushes into a plastic socket.  It would fit into any CL500 socket (but wouldn't start the vehicle of course).

I was thinking of wiring in just the sort of simple hidden switch you mention.  It would only be a small chore to remember to flick it on each time, but wiring it in without upsetting something might be a big chore.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2023, 00:53:16 »

The previous model requires the key, ignition module, shifter module and engine ECU to be able to start the car/shift out of park as they were all considered theft relevant parts.

On the W221/216 the only theft relevant parts are the key,.ignition module and gearbox conductor plate (and possibly engine ECU). Plus all the keyless go stuff.

If it doesn't have keyless go, then it's going to reasonably secure from these remote attacks as you actually have to press a button on the fob to send the signal to unlock the doors. The keyless go stuff is constantly pinging out and when it gets near enough to the antennae on the car, it will unlock, and then if it still sees the signal then it will allow ignition and starting.

The thieving bastids simply use a signal booster to connect the key signal to the car receivers.
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30 November 2023, 12:59:41 »

If they want the car, they will turn up with a new ECU with the immobiliser programmed out (or use a tool that can quickly program is out).

Electronic security will always be flawed, physical security is every bit as important.  Crocklock anyone? ;D
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30 November 2023, 13:04:06 »

If they want the car, they will turn up with a new ECU with the immobiliser programmed out (or use a tool that can quickly program is out).

Electronic security will always be flawed, physical security is every bit as important.  Crocklock anyone? ;D
Crocklock? Are you saying your car is a crock of shite?  ;D
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30 November 2023, 13:07:34 »

Crocklock? Are you saying your car is a crock of shite?  ;D
Now you mention it ;D.  Which means I dont need any security on it ;D
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.