Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Welding, and remember my garage electrics?  (Read 11300 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Welding, and remember my garage electrics?
« Reply #90 on: 03 October 2013, 20:37:08 »

Similar story, not enough penetration. :(

Never mind, keep practicing your penetration skills and I'm sure you'll achieve full satisfaction in due course!!  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

omega3000

« Reply #91 on: 03 October 2013, 20:39:29 »

Our lights have been flickering for a few days  :(

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
  • Madness is a state of i dont mind
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 03 October 2013, 20:56:34 »

What you need to do junk all them plug sockets and wire in a junction box--thats what me and my dad did in my
workshop-its got trips in too :y then you run plug point/lights from there :y I got 4x fluorescent lights and a 185 mig(courtesy of work ;) and when using it my 3x 500watt heat lamps and welder all at same time-no problems at all-your welder should handle 3-4mm steel but wont welt tin foil with no power :(
1998 volvo 940 turbo 225bhp +1965 Rover 5000 v8+ 1962 ford consul 375 lowrider

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 03 October 2013, 20:59:04 »

Have you tried adjusting the feed rate?

Just thinking, you have a series of blobs there. Is that because you can't sustain a longer arc or because you are welding in short bursts?

You'd be better off laying down a few more beads on a flatish section and getting the feed rate right. You should, when welding, be able to identify a "pool" of molten material into which the wire is dipping as it feeds from the torch. Look at that is happening to the wire relative to the pool.

If the wire is "stabbing" into this area giving a series of loud cracks and lots of sparks, the wire is feeding a little fast. If it hits the metal, an arc forms and then the wire end retreats quickly back into the torch and has a tendency to extinguish the arc or weld itself to the nozzle, the feed is too slow.

If you get a soft hum, no spattering or cracking sounds, a continuous arc and the wire is hovering above the pool, you are nearly there but a little slow still. The wire feed is keeping up with the arc and you are trying to do spray transfer. What you want is to feed a little quicker so the wire dips into the pool and retracts over and over again with the "fried egg" sound accompanying it.

Once you've got to that stage, having a decent, constant arc will give you more heat than you are currently getting, I recon.

The next thing you want to practice is to watch the pool and where the wire is dipping into it and move the pool along the course of your desired weld. Easier done on a single flat piece of scrap to start with, before moving on to something like that exhaust, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 03 October 2013, 21:02:31 »

What you need to do junk all them plug sockets and wire in a junction box--thats what me and my dad did in my
workshop-its got trips in too :y then you run plug point/lights from there :y I got 4x fluorescent lights and a 185 mig(courtesy of work ;) and when using it my 3x 500watt heat lamps and welder all at same time-no problems at all-your welder should handle 3-4mm steel but wont welt tin foil with no power :(
Not quite that straightforward, as we don't know the cable size from CU to garage, or if its a ring or spur.

So it needs looking at properly :)
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 03 October 2013, 21:05:33 »

Flickering house lights is probably something you'll have to get used to. You're going to get a little voltage drop when a 13A load suddenly kicks off, it's just a little more noticeable when the current is hammering up and down as the arc changes. SO, put the trousers back on and get out there for more practice. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 03 October 2013, 21:09:29 »

Not quite that straightforward, as we don't know the cable size from CU to garage, or if its a ring or spur.

we ran cable under ground in armoured cable--no flickering light in house :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #97 on: 03 October 2013, 21:11:07 »

What I want, is somebody else to look at that knows wtf their doing ;D

AndyRoid has kindly offered to pop over, when he's feeling well enough. Bless him :-[

chrisgixer

« Reply #98 on: 03 October 2013, 21:13:48 »

Flickering house lights is probably something you'll have to get used to. You're going to get a little voltage drop when a 13A load suddenly kicks off, it's just a little more noticeable when the current is hammering up and down as the arc changes. SO, put the trousers back on and get out there for more practice. ::)

She's hidden them ;D

I can't get that dial to make an ounce of difference tbh. Experimenting with holding the torch at various lengths away from the job seems to have more affect. :-\

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 03 October 2013, 21:19:02 »

as for your welds-turn wire speed down --too fast for your heat setting--thats why lots of spatter ;) and practice and practice and---well you know the rest---good going so far though mate--keep torch at constant distance-or lose gas shield keep at it :y :y :y what helmet you using?
maybe you got too dark a lense---number 9 will be fine--number 10/11 too dark-more for mma

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 03 October 2013, 21:23:43 »

AndyRoid has kindly offered to pop over, when he's feeling well enough. Bless him :-[

I'd take him up on that, if I were you, but I'd be happy to take a look if you want your mind put at rest in the meantime, once I've finished my week of flying round Scotland trying to avoid the sticky-up bits of land.

She's hidden them ;D

Offs! ::)
I can't get that dial to make an ounce of difference tbh. Experimenting with holding the torch at various lengths away from the job seems to have more affect. :-\

Hmm. I suspect the speed controller is fubar. Should be an easy fix, though.

05omegav6

« Reply #101 on: 03 October 2013, 21:24:55 »

Still using the socket in the kitchen :-\

symes

• Omega Baron
  • oxford
    • R reg 940 volvo
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 03 October 2013, 21:26:05 »

I'd take him up on that, if I were you, but I'd be happy to take a look if you want your mind put at rest in the meantime, once I've finished my week of flying round Scotland trying to avoid the sticky-up bits of land.

She's hidden them ;D

RS should have one

chrisgixer

« Reply #103 on: 03 October 2013, 21:37:05 »

Still using the socket in the kitchen :-\

Yep.

A spark landed on my head, and I could smell me burning. ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #104 on: 03 October 2013, 21:40:39 »

She's hidden them ;D

He's pencilled me in for my next off shift, if suitable. :y

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.