Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Tax & Insurance >:(  (Read 725 times)

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
Car Tax & Insurance >:(
« on: 10 July 2009, 13:08:37 »

I've tried twice to buy a car now.  First time the woman selling it thought she'd be able to give me a printout of her online tax renewal (forgetting the tax disc would arrive at her address, not mine) which she'd do on the roadside when I bought the car, then she thought she'd be able to tax it without insurace, so now I've organised my own insurace (new policy) to start on the day that I pick the car up.

Bought the insurance on Monday, expecting to be able to get the docs through the post during the week to pick up the car tomorrow.  Turns out that because I've not asked for the policy to start until tomorrow they weren't even going to send the docs out till then.  Now they're coming special delivery, which means I *might* get a chance to receive them in time to get to a post office tomorrow.  Not looking likely now.  Bloody typical.  Every policy I've ever had in the past has the start date on so is completely bloody useless until that day.
 >:(

What really annoys me is that we have a *computer* somewhere that knows whether a car is insured or not.  The police use it, the online tax renewal website uses it, but the post office insist on seeing the original docs (no photocopies/faxes/etc).

Grrrrrrrrr......

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: Car Tax & Insurance >:(
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2009, 13:13:39 »

I can understand how damn frustrating that must be Jester, but that is how the system works because it is disjointed, like most government systems are, and those who could lack the motivation or brain power to change it! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2009, 16:54:35 »

If you tax it on-line then the computer is used to check MOT and insurance ... and they send you the tax disc..  :)

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2009, 19:45:03 »

If you tax it on-line then the computer is used to check MOT and insurance ... and they send you the tax disc..  :)

Yep, also the car is noted as taxed from the second you pay for it online, not when the disc pops through your letterbox

:y
The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2009, 19:48:35 »

Yep, also the car is noted as taxed from the second you pay for it online, not when the disc pops through your letterbox

As long as you're just renewing it!  :y

KillerWatt

« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2009, 19:51:41 »

Failing to display a valid road fund license is a seperate offence for which you can still be penalised for though.

BERTIECBX550

« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2009, 22:28:13 »

I was in a similar position last year when i bought the Beemer and well to cut a long story short i just drove the car back from kingswinford to wolverhampton and hoped for the best.... I got away with it for 3 days till the monday morning and taxed her...I know it was wrong i know what the consequences would of been if i had been caught i even had the local ARV park up behind her at work ::) :-[

webby23

• Omega Baron
  • Nottingham
  • MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 July 2009, 00:06:14 »

Failing to display a valid road fund license is a seperate offence for which you can still be penalised for though.

Yep, but if you aint got it you cant display it........!!

The only certainty of life is death. Live your life and enjoy it. The clock is ticking
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.