Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto question  (Read 5224 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Auto question
« on: 20 February 2017, 11:02:43 »

My daughter claims that both her autos, Forester and Ranger crewcab truck, if on a steep slope, in gear with engine running, for example at traffic lights on a hill, do not roll either forward (or back), and require no brake or accelerator to hold them. Now either modern auto boxes have a sensor to lock the torque converter, or there is something wrong with both my Omegas. I suspect she is wrong, and has got used to holding them on the brakes, but please confirm.  :o

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Auto question
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2017, 11:05:15 »

My daughter claims that both her autos, Forester and Ranger crewcab truck, if on a steep slope, in gear with engine running, for example at traffic lights on a hill, do not roll either forward (or back), and require no brake or accelerator to hold them. Now either modern auto boxes have a sensor to lock the torque converter, or there is something wrong with both my Omegas. I suspect she is wrong, and has got used to holding them on the brakes, but please confirm.  :o

Depends on the slope, my 3 either creep forward, hold nicely or gently move backwards. There are 2 sets of lights near me where all is balanced and it will hold itself, although I normally put the hand brake on anyway.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2017, 11:07:30 »

Depends on the slope, my 3 either creep forward, hold nicely or gently move backwards. There are 2 sets of lights near me where all is balanced and it will hold itself, although I normally put the hand brake on anyway.

Agreed, and why I said steep. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2017, 11:18:39 »

They probably have "hill hold assist" (like a lot, if not all, modern autos and semi autos) - on a vehicle with electric handbrake it'll put the handbrake on automatically when you come to a stop on the footbrake, and then release it as soon as you tickle the throttle, with a manual handbrake there is a valve to maintain pressure in the line to the rear brakes.

In fact, my manual Ranger (64 plate) used to do exactly the same though it would release after a set amount of time even if you weren't moving; it was basically there to keep you still until you put the handbrake on.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2017, 11:25:04 »

They probably have "hill hold assist" (like a lot, if not all, modern autos and semi autos) - on a vehicle with electric handbrake it'll put the handbrake on automatically when you come to a stop on the footbrake, and then release it as soon as you tickle the throttle, with a manual handbrake there is a valve to maintain pressure in the line to the rear brakes.

In fact, my manual Ranger (64 plate) used to do exactly the same though it would release after a set amount of time even if you weren't moving; it was basically there to keep you still until you put the handbrake on.

Thanks Aaron, we live and learn, I guess thats why she was caught out yesterday driving an auto hire vehicle here in Grenada. Complained like mad because she had to keep juggling with a foot operated handbrake when trying to set off in reverse up a steep slope. :y Its a girlie thing. :-X

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2017, 11:39:07 »

Its actually done by the ABS module, Hill start assist detects the angle and applies the wheel brakes for a period of time.......after 10 seconds or so it does release so......hence easy to test!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2017, 11:54:08 »

.... and applies the wheel brakes for a period of time.......after 10 seconds or so it does release so......hence easy to test!

That depends on the vehicle. Newer Mercs tend to have 'hold', which holds the brakes on forever & a day or till you touch the throttle (I've  only driven one like that) & Mercs SBC brakes apparently used to do the same. My R Class though, just holds the brakes on for 'a short time' when on a hill .... I've  not noticed it do it otherwise. My Smart Roadster holds the brakes on for 0.7secs ..... who decided that?
I just use my left foot  ;) which will confuse the cars sometimes.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2017, 11:58:18 »

.... and applies the wheel brakes for a period of time.......after 10 seconds or so it does release so......hence easy to test!

That depends on the vehicle. Newer Mercs tend to have 'hold', which holds the brakes on forever & a day or till you touch the throttle (I've  only driven one like that) & Mercs SBC brakes apparently used to do the same. My R Class though, just holds the brakes on for 'a short time' when on a hill .... I've  not noticed it do it otherwise. My Smart Roadster holds the brakes on for 0.7secs ..... who decided that?
I just use my left foot ;) which will confuse the cars sometimes.

Exactly. :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2017, 12:21:33 »

My XFR has one of these. Even now I'm not really sure what to do with it. Even on steep slopes I never need to apply it.

aaronjb

« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2017, 12:54:27 »

Its actually done by the ABS module, Hill start assist detects the angle and applies the wheel brakes for a period of time.......after 10 seconds or so it does release so......hence easy to test!

The Skoda doesn't release (ever) on a hill - though you might still be right about it being the ABS rather than electric handbrake as if you switch the ignition off there is a very definite 'release' on to the handbrake now that I think about it (back end rises up slightly).

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2017, 13:03:49 »

Do these newfangled cars have a "just let me drive the effing thing!" button? ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2017, 14:26:11 »

AR35 is by far the worst behaved autobox in my experience. Volvo/BMW/Mercedes/Modern Jaguar/ford all buy better boxes.  Unless we're talking a 1:3 gradient I would expect any of my autos to sit still (or preferably creep slightly) until they're told to do otherwise. 
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2017, 14:52:54 »

Whether an auto box holds on a hill actually has nothing to do with how good the box is!

The box is sitting there with 1st gear engaged waiting for you to drive off, just as a manual gearbox would be in the same situation. The reason that there is any creep or "holding" capability on a hill is because there is some torque coupling through the torque converter to the input of the auto box at idle speed. Unlike a clutch, a torque converter cannot completely disengage. If it happens that enough torque is transferred to hold you on the hill it's an unintended side-effect of how your torque converter works, not a driver aid or a sure sign that you have a "better" gearbox. Go to another hill and you might be creeping forwards or rolling back because the torque converter doesn't "know" how steep the hill is.

Another car will have different weight, rolling friction, idle speed, torque converter characteristics and 1st gear ratio, so it would be very unlikely to behave the same way.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2017, 16:48:24 »

Do these newfangled cars have a "just let me drive the effing thing!" button? ::)
Yes, but it's about fifteen layers down in a random sub menu which apparently also controls the amount of time the boot light remains on after closing and what temperature you wish the passenger front door ashtray to maintain ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2017, 16:51:05 »

Yes, but it's about fifteen layers down in a random sub menu which apparently also controls the amount of time the boot light remains on after closing and what temperature you wish the passenger front door ashtray to maintain ;)

Don't be silly.

New cars don't come with an ashtray!  :P ;D

(No, really, optional extra on the Skoda, as standard you get a storage cubby)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.