Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OMEGA A 3.0 RADIATOR EXPANSION RESERVOIR COVER  (Read 1811 times)

luizvivas

• Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
  • 92/93 Toulon Green 1-5-3-6-2-4
    • Omega CD 3.0 Turbo
    • View Profile
OMEGA A 3.0 RADIATOR EXPANSION RESERVOIR COVER
« on: 26 October 2019, 15:58:32 »

After a trip of only 200 km, I realized that there was a leak of 1 liter of cooling solution through the reservoir cap (still original, with 27 years of use). I bought a spare "original GM", but it leaks, I bought another from the parallel market that also leaks. I am using the original cover, which leaks less. I found several options on Ebay, with advantageous price, but do not know the brands. Could you point me to some reliable cover brands to buy?
Thanks.
Powered by C30NE

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: OMEGA A 3.0 RADIATOR EXPANSION RESERVOIR COVER
« Reply #1 on: 26 October 2019, 21:23:44 »

Are you sure it's the reservoir cap?
I would have thought that the same cap is used on multiple GM vehicles. So should be easy to obtain a new original one.

If three different caps are leaking I'd be looking for a fracture in the expansion reservoir tank.
Or more likely a leaking heater bypass valve. Located rear of the engine under the scuttle. Or a split in the inlet hose that feeds the HBV?
Or a fracture in the plastic tank at the top of the radiator.
Or maybe a leaking water pump.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2019, 21:31:32 »

OK. I now figure yours might be an Omega A. I'm not sure, can't remember, how the heater bypass works on these. Other than I once had an Omega A and the RAC breakdown service bridged the the bulkhead hoses that feed the heater matrix with a piece of copper plumbing pipe and some clips. That bypassed the heater and stopped the leak in the cabin. Drove around like that for several months with no problem until I got around to fixing the heater matrix. It happened in winter.

My other suggestions still apply.

luizvivas

• Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
  • 92/93 Toulon Green 1-5-3-6-2-4
    • Omega CD 3.0 Turbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2019, 14:00:34 »

Cab heater is normal. I recently changed the water pump, block seals and radiator. Walking slowly does not leak. Yesterday I accelerated the car, on a boulevard close to home, for about 100 meters, as I say to "clean the injectors" and feel the turbo start; I arrived at a friend's workshop and lid was wet with cooling solution. I bought a new reservoir (the old one is still original, 27 years old and is yellowish). I made the tightness test on the covers and none held pressure. I haven't given up on the original cover (with level sensor) yet. I will disassemble and clean with WD40. In several videos on Youtube, I see complaints about reservoir covers by Brazil. Even a friend, electrician of my car, has a Fiesta 1.6 ROCAM engine and has the same problem on the cover.

Used original cap with sensor like mine:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1110898395-tampa-reservatorio-omega-41-_JM#position=42&type=item&tracking_id=913843ee-9c7e-4a44-9fe6-b316ef2e5395

New cover with sensor only used. New cover like the one I bought:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1232595417-tampa-do-reservatorio-do-radiador-gm-omega-6cc-30-e-41-_JM?quantity=1#position=24&type=item&tracking_id=913843ee-9c7e-4a44-9fe6-b316ef2e5395