Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bat Flu forecasts  (Read 3027 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Bat Flu forecasts
« Reply #30 on: 10 February 2021, 17:43:07 »

As an aside, of the people genuinely afraid of this, how many smoke?
That comment surprises me, given you think the sniffle is a mere trifle of a problem.  Even in 2021 it has not been proven that smoking causes premature death.  And by god people have tried to.

Trouble with lockdowns is large sections of society suddenly believe rules dont apply to them, or its somehow against their rights.  Just travel into the inner suburbs on London, or Birmingham, or Manchester (and I'm sure loads more places I haven't witnessed), and you'll see there is no lockdown.
Smoking itself might not be fatal, but it probably won't help lung function any if you do catch a respiratory disease.

I will revise my question to this:

Of the people who have died from Batflu, what percentage smoked or have smoked?
« Last Edit: 10 February 2021, 17:47:39 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 February 2021, 17:46:45 »

As an aside, of the people genuinely afraid of this, how many smoke?
That comment surprises me, given you think the sniffle is a mere trifle of a problem.  Even in 2021 it has not been proven that smoking causes premature death.  And by god people have tried to.

Trouble with lockdowns is large sections of society suddenly believe rules dont apply to them, or its somehow against their rights.  Just travel into the inner suburbs on London, or Birmingham, or Manchester (and I'm sure loads more places I haven't witnessed), and you'll see there is no lockdown.

Are you a member of the Flat Earth Society TB? ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

I have known all too many, including those within our family circle who smoked heavily, as almost everyone did once, who died prematurely from cancer which was blamed on their smoking habit.  One relative who was warned repeatedly about what his heavy smoking habit was doing to his body, would not stop.  He lost both legs and one arm was getting bad, then he died "due to smoking" his doctors said. :'( :'(

Another friend of mine, a heavy smoker all his life, is now fighting to breath and has been put on very strong medication.  He knows, and has been told, he has not long to live :'(

« Last Edit: 10 February 2021, 17:48:46 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 February 2021, 17:51:47 »

Given that the mortality rates/total cases are still pretty consistent, regardless of lockdowns, there is a case to be made for getting on with life.
have you missed the wave effect, shown in the graphs for deaths ?
or are you being "obtuse"  :P
deaths ramp up, then they lockdown, then deaths drop ,pretty simple

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Yes, and that fact was made clear again by the PM during his press conference today.  The fall in numbers of infections / deaths has yet to be due to vaccination.   ;)

It is down to lock down! ::) ::)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 February 2021, 18:17:53 »

Given that the mortality rates/total cases are still pretty consistent, regardless of lockdowns, there is a case to be made for getting on with life.
have you missed the wave effect, shown in the graphs for deaths ?
or are you being "obtuse"  :P
deaths ramp up, then they lockdown, then deaths drop ,pretty simple

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Lockdowns suppress the virus temporarily, but cannot be part of a permanent solution, and if the virus had originated in the US, UK, Australia or anywhere else in the democratic free world, I don't believe any government would have even considered shutting down their country to the same extent as they have.

I think with the new border controls, they are trying to make the UK into a 'bubble' like New Zealand or Australia.  I really can't see foreign travel getting back to normal any time soon, but I'm hopeful that domestically we can resume life almost as normal in the next couple of months as the vaccinations are rolled out.

Good idea with border controls. You can keep your special British variant.!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 February 2021, 18:23:31 »

No, the higher infection (and death) rates are down to the virility of the new mutations, inspite the lockdown.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 February 2021, 18:47:05 »

Smoking itself might not be fatal, but it probably won't help lung function any if you do catch a respiratory disease.

I will revise my question to this:

Of the people who have died from Batflu, what percentage smoked or have smoked?
I smoke ,but I've not died of Covid or smoking ,Yet  :P

I did look into smoking with relation to Covid a while back,
at one stage, early on , France banned online sales of Nicotine patches, gum etc ,so they could use them as a treatment because there was some evidence ,albeit a small study about smokers being less prone to catching covid .
back then, people who smoked where less likely to catch covid than those who didn't smoke BUT some that did catch covid had a bad case of it .
not sure on figures with regards death from covid who smoked

google says "A review of 279 studies found that current smokers were at less risk of testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 than never smokers, while former smokers were at a greater risk of severe disease and hospitalization than never smokers."

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20201201/Does-smoking-increase-risk-of-COVID-19-hospitalization.aspx

so I'll continue to smoke until long term data about covid is available   ???
after that ,if I'm still alive  :-\ i'll decide then  :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 February 2021, 19:43:45 »

Lockdowns suppress the virus temporarily, but cannot be part of a permanent solution, and if the virus had originated in the US, UK, Australia or anywhere else in the democratic free world, I don't believe any government would have even considered shutting down their country to the same extent as they have.

I think with the new border controls, they are trying to make the UK into a 'bubble' like New Zealand or Australia.  I really can't see foreign travel getting back to normal any time soon, but I'm hopeful that domestically we can resume life almost as normal in the next couple of months as the vaccinations are rolled out.

I must admit, I'm struggling to see why "foreign travel" is still a thing. They've told me not to leave my house except for essential journeys. What have they told these people who are apparently swanning in and out of the country with gay abandon?  ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11 February 2021, 19:47:51 »

Apparently Captain Tom went to Barbados on official business. ::)

Doesn't explain the constant stream of private jets running around though.  :-X

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 February 2021, 19:49:29 »

I must admit, I'm struggling to see why "foreign travel" is still a thing. They've told me not to leave my house except for essential journeys. What have they told these people who are apparently swanning in and out of the country with gay abandon?  ::)
I find that ignoring what everyone else says and doing what I think is right for me and others works perfectly.
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11 February 2021, 20:13:07 »

I find that ignoring what everyone else says and doing what I think is right for me and others works perfectly.
You and 68 million other people  ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 19 queries.